Quick release steering wheel hub for Xs?

carl

True Classic
Anyone make a quick release steering wheel hub that does not involve welding an adaptor to the X steering column?

Yes. I've seen results on eBay. If you search 124 or 128, you get more results. I'll see if I can link you

I don't trust them.

That can happen if you don't check that it is locked on when you install it, make it a habit to try to pull it back off a couple times after you snap it on and you should be fine. But it is another mechanical device that could possibly fail. In my case if the steering wheel didn't come off you couldn't get in the car. I also don't see the need in a street car without a cage.

In a street car environment I would be more worried that some clown would steal it and I'd be stuck with a car with no steering wheel.
there are so many race cars with quick release steering wheels that I don't think fear of it coming off in my hands would be at the top of the list of things that could go wrong on a car I personally put together, every nut and bolt of it. But I appreciate the concern...we don't always think everything through.

The ones on eBay appear to bolt to an existing steering wheel hub, not sliding over the splines and attaching like a steering wheel hub.

If your Fiat steering wheel/hub is the 6 bolt type (like on 124's and some X1/9's), then the aftermarket quick-release units for wheels like Momo, Personal, and many others will work. The 6 bolt pattern is the same as on those Fiat models, so it will bolt between the wheel and hub (no new hub is required). If your Fiat does not have the 6 bolt steering wheel, then these aftermarket quick-releases won't work without also replacing the hub and wheel.

In a street car environment I would be more worried that some clown would steal it and I'd be stuck with a car with no steering wheel.
there are so many race cars with quick release steering wheels that I don't think fear of it coming off in my hands would be at the top of the list of things that could go wrong on a car I personally put together, every nut and bolt of it. But I appreciate the concern...we don't always think everything through.

Carry a pair of vice grips. They will work in a pinch. Years ago a friend of mine told me about a high school auto shop class mate that got pulled over speeding and the cops were less than impressed that he had a pair of vice grips where his steering wheel should be. A quick google search indicates that this is not uncommon.

Brian

I recall there was a time when companies were advertising steering wheel quick releases are security (anti-theft) devices. Remove the wheel and take it with you so no one can drive the car away. But that did not last long - presumably for a couple of reasons. One being the use of vice grips as Brian described. I'm sure another reason was no one wanted to take their steering wheel with them every time they went anywhere.

Ulix, I have the same price concern. All the ones on eBay are like $15-$30 and this one is over $100, and I specifically would not be interested in any advertised as coming from China.

This is the type I have, https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3400
Not expensive but it does require welding to the steering shaft, no noticeable play in the wheel.IMG_4664.JPG

I have also driven several cars with different styles and none of them had noticeable play in them. You could get an extra steering column to mount the weld on varity then you could swap back if you want and you can adjust the steering wheel position as well.

Last edited:
That one Looks nice!
Does it have ANY Play in it when installed?
I have considered buying one and noticed that some cost $39 and other $239 while looking basically the same. So I am assuming that the cheapo ones have drawbacks such as play in the mechanism.
There is no noticeable play.
I also saw the China knockoffs on ebay and although they look very similar they likely are not.

The thing is, even the "expensive" ones are likely made in China. Most major parts producers (aftermarket and OEM) from all around the world outsource their actual manufacturing to companies in China. And they won't say "made in China" on them, despite the fact they are. In fact they are allowed legally to label them as "made in {insert any country name here}" according to loopholes in their product laws. So really in many cases (but not all) you are just paying more for the same identical item from the same manufacturer, but with a "brand name" label stuck to it. Not all products from China are low quality, some of the best products I've found were from there. And to make things even more confusing, I've found many products that were made in countries known for having excellent quality that were the worst. Price is no longer related to quality; marketing and international trade has changed the rules.

"Not all products from China are low quality, some of the best products I've found were from there. And to make things even more confusing, I've found many products that were made in countries known for having excellent quality that were the worst."

The quality is not necessarily based on the origin of manufacture, it is based on the specification of the "OEM". Many parts are manufactured in China to a high standard however they also will be more expensive to produce the required quality. I can't remember off hand where the NRG quick disconnect was manufactured. I'll have to check. Update - The NRG quick disconnect is manufactured in Tiwan and the quality is very good.

Last edited:
View attachment 17419
Neat game console Brian. :D

Actually very cool, do tell more.
Live action game console... no monitors. It's an autox car I built about 12 years ago, SCCA formula 500 chassis that I stretched and added real suspension to and dropped a Hayabusa 1300 engine in. It weighs 670 pounds and puts 150 HP to the wheels. I ran it for several years but it just beat the C*^p out of me. It was really fun, it ran a 1/8 mile in 6.8 sec on dirty parking lot pavement with lots of tire spin. Plus it cornered rather well too.

It's an autox car I built about 12 years ago
In my younger days I would have loved such a toy. But these days the comment "it just beat the C*^p out of me" keeps me from enjoying such things. Sounds like a ton of fun though.

Back