Wanted: Distributor block-off / blanking plug

Dr.Jeff

True Classic
I am looking for a distributor block-off (blank, drive gear retainer, plug) to eliminate the entire ignition distributor for the X1/9 (128) engine. I prefer one specifically made for the 128 (SOHC) block, rather than the longer version for the 124/twin-cam block. Please contact me directly if you have one available or know who makes it. Thanks.

Rare request.
Only used on Strada fuel injected air conditioned, here in the USA...
Otherwise, used on European cars with a cam mounted distributor.

Rare request.
Thanks Chris.
IF one for the "128" type engine does not come up, what is the actual length difference between them and the ones for the 124 DOHC engine? In other words, exactly how much needs to be cut off of the twic cam version to correctly work on the 128 (X1/9 1500) engine?

Thanks Chris.
IF one for the "128" type engine does not come up, what is the actual length difference between them and the ones for the 124 DOHC engine? In other words, exactly how much needs to be cut off of the twic cam version to correctly work on the 128 (X1/9 1500) engine?

If you are stuck, I will take mine off and measure it. Let me know.

Paul Davock

I am looking for a distributor block-off (blank, drive gear retainer, plug) to eliminate the entire ignition distributor for the X1/9 (128) engine. I prefer one specifically made for the 128 (SOHC) block, rather than the longer version for the 124/twin-cam block. Please contact me directly if you have one available or know who makes it. Thanks.

If you can't find one I have one from an Uno that I could measure up next week, and machine a few replicas if needed.

PaulD and 128Kid, thanks to both of you.

So far I have not located one. Awhile back someone listed a bunch of parts and had two of them available. I've since tried to reach out to that member but haven't received a response. I'll give him another call out.

The vendors still make them for the TC engine, which is longer, but I've never seen them new for the SOHC. One of the TC's could be cut down but I don't know what the exact spec is for the 128's length. The preferred option would be to find a correct one for the 128 block but I'll see what comes up. I'm not in any hurry, just planning ahead for the upcoming build.

If nothing comes up then I'll get back to you guys, thanks again.

OE Fiat for the late Tipo/Punto type of distributor blank off is 7533318 (plastic)
Steve, I'm pretty sure the Tipo/Punto dizzy blank-off would be a direct fit for the X1/9 (128) block, but please confirm that for me. As you know, we never got those models so aren't that familiar with them. Thanks Steve for the input, much appreciated.

Obviously the length needs to be correct to maintain the oil pump drive in the proper location, and that's the part I'm concerned about with these in general.

Ya, I've been trying to get a hold of him about it, but no response so far. Thanks for bringing it up though, much appreciated.

Thanks, the only one I saw there was for a twin cam. I'm sure they get the shorter ones at times though. However I've managed to find them from the previously referenced seller here on the forum. Which reminds me I need to follow up with him.

Thanks again to everyone. I've sent funds for two original Fiat ones. If anyone needs the extra let me know. Otherwise I'll hang on to it in the event I decide to go aftermarket ECU on my other X. Actually, as I've been collecting the various sensors, wire harness/connector bits, and other related EFI components for the aftermarket ECU install, I have ended up with duplicates for most of it. So a second system might be easy to do.

Off topic: Mr.Pimm, I found a piece of aluminum block for the reluctor spacer. So hopefully in the coming week I'll take a stab at turning it on my little lathe. Then see how well I can mount the trigger wheel centered on the pulley.

Excellent Courtney, thanks for posting this. Just for fun I'll check the ones I just received with these dimensions.

Kind of Tech-ing out the FS&W section but since we're already here... Tonight I dug out a twin cam plug to bring home and measure. Went to copy the SOHC model into the DOHC folder as a starting point and it was already there. I thought the part looked awfully clean... :rolleyes: The SOHC one is Fiat special brown bakelite type plastic/composite (like X1/9 injector bosses) while the DOHC one is cast aluminum. Rough measurement from the SOHC mounting face (with gasket) down to the gear is 56.7 mm, so it doesn't look like running clearances are very tight. And a DOHC plug would work in a SOHC with 6.5 mm (~1/4") trimmed off the end.

For reference, the DOHC plug dims:

Fiat #4194208 - 2.0L Distributor Blanking Plug.JPG

Tonight I dug out a twin cam plug to bring home and measure.
Thanks Courtney, that is very helpful. For fun I'll look at the ones I just received and compare to both sets of dimensions (SOHC and DOHC). The ones I have are for the SOHC (marked "128") but are cast aluminum, like you describe for the DOHC. So I guess they made different types at various times. I'll let you know how they compare in length.

Back