87 X1/9 on BaT

Interesting bumpers.
Someone took a band saw and went to work on the stock bumpers. I am not a fan of the end result, but to each his own.

I guess the AC is in-op on this X. I can see the controls in the cock pit and some of the gear in the engine bay, but unless I missed it, the AC doesn't get a mention in the description. The car itself looks pretty nice. It would be nice to see in the trunks and maybe a pre-repaint picture.

Looks like a nice example. The mods aren’t to my taste, but the comments on BaT seem to approve. I would have installed on a set of Jovani’s bumpers and left the wheels on the Honda Civic.

Indeed a generally very nice example, agreed about the bumpers which are not great and the tires look too tall giving the car a bit of an off roader look.

The rims are very offputting, front wheel drive rims look decidedly poor on an X. If going with larger rims why not use some of the existing 15” specific aftermarket rims out there like those from Mark Allison or AutoRicambi. There are three really decent choices there with much more appropriate offsets offering some nice (deep) dish which all Italian cars benefit visually from.

The right side mirror looks like one of the ones that Henk is selling or its a non internally adjustable old Vitaloni Turbo stuck on there. Having the two different sizes on there is a little weird.

That said, its a nicely prepared car and I am sure the new owner will be happy.

Bumpers can be removed or replaced. Wheels can be changed. I've asked on BAT whether the A/C is operational, and whether there are any suspension mods. I might be crazy enough to bid on this one.

I agree with above regarding rims and bumpers, but those are easily fixed, AC would nice, if it's there it's repairable, only serious consideration to this rust belt guy is rust, my last x was soooo rusty, I don't want to start with that again.

As a non-X owner I'd like to chime in with what I hope are a few neutral observations. The bumpers don't detract from the car. As mentioned get a stock set and store them in the attic for the day of having an unmolested car. The balance is in keeping with the size of the car even if the ends are a little "blunt." The wheels don't work for me. Too great a contrast between the dark paint and the very light silver rims. Make them look too large or separate from the composition. Possibly a darker color would solve that. I don't remember the name/# but there's an X member here in Las Vegas with the BEST EVER looking rims on his car. They just bolt on/off so another simple solution. In several pics the front wheels seem to "stick out" too far. In others they look OK. The "too high" off the ground look could be helped by lowering the front only slightly IF THE wheels clear the fenders. If my 850 were finished and I again had a 6 car garage I'd be bidding so as to no longer be a step-child on the forum! After I sold my sheet metal shop I acquired Art and History teaching credentials. The "vocabulary" available to describe the balance/design impact of a glass of water could be applied here but I think "Nice Car" says it better.

As a non-X owner I'd like to chime in with what I hope are a few neutral observations. The bumpers don't detract from the car. As mentioned get a stock set and store them in the attic for the day of having an unmolested car. The balance is in keeping with the size of the car even if the ends are a little "blunt." The wheels don't work for me. Too great a contrast between the dark paint and the very light silver rims. Make them look too large or separate from the composition. Possibly a darker color would solve that. I don't remember the name/# but there's an X member here in Las Vegas with the BEST EVER looking rims on his car. They just bolt on/off so another simple solution. In several pics the front wheels seem to "stick out" too far. In others they look OK. The "too high" off the ground look could be helped by lowering the front only slightly IF THE wheels clear the fenders. If my 850 were finished and I again had a 6 car garage I'd be bidding so as to no longer be a step-child on the forum! After I sold my sheet metal shop I acquired Art and History teaching credentials. The "vocabulary" available to describe the balance/design impact of a glass of water could be applied here but I think "Nice Car" says it better.

Art and History credentials??? How'd you miss those hideous RED FLOOR MATS!!! I'M NOW LEGALLY BLIND FROM STARING TOO LONG!

Never got that far! However since requested I'll elaborate: "The composition of the aforementioned subjects is symbolic of the dynamic flow of energy throughout the Universe. What would appear to be repetitive cartouches in the central section are in fact timeless Egyptian symbols (usually associated with a name) capturing the power (red) and instability of life. The placement of even numbers in numerically ascending rows is suggestive of the endless cycle of nameless personages forever falling from the black void above toward the field of violent red below. The upward curve of the row ends is indicative of the attempt to render immortality to those nameless individuals condemned to pass to the sea of red lava below. If given names within the cartouches one might begin to become empathetic with their plight. Without this personalization we witness the society we live in as blind to individual worth. This entire composition, nay manifesto, is a cry for recognition of those nameless souls before us."
This is the kind of stuff you need to write to get a Bachelors degree at UC Davis by challenge. No, NEVER done acid, heroin, whatever else.

Last edited:
Bumpers can be removed or replaced. Wheels can be changed. I've asked on BAT whether the A/C is operational, and whether there are any suspension mods. I might be crazy enough to bid on this one.
No suspension mods. A/C front end is there, engine-side components are not.

Never got that far! However since requested I'll elaborate: "The composition of the aforementioned subjects is symbolic of the dynamic flow of energy throughout the Universe. What would appear to be repetitive cartouches in the central section are in fact timeless Egyptian symbols (usually associated with a name) capturing the power (red) and instability of life. The placement of even numbers in numerically ascending rows is suggestive of the endless cycle of nameless personages forever falling from the black void above toward the field of violent red below. The upward curve of the row ends is indicative of the attempt to render immortality to those nameless individuals condemned to pass to the sea of red lava below. If given names within the cartouches one might begin to become empathetic with their plight. Without this personalization we witness the society we live in as blind to individual worth. This entire composition, nay manifesto, is a cry for recognition of those nameless souls before us."
This is the kind of stuff you need to write to get a Bachelors degree at UC Davis by challenge. No, NEVER done acid, heroin, whatever else.

Nice.....

If I was the seller I would be grumpy too.

It’s a really nice car, getting nit picked about some of that BS is ridiculous. This is a cheap car, they weren’t perfect ever and getting raked over some of that stuff is a bit out of line.

I also think casting aspirations on the possible rustiness of the car isn’t helping either from a past X owner. Rust and X’s can be so variable its not worth even bringing up unless you can actually see a problem.

Yes there are things I don’t like on it but as has been pointed out, they are things one can remediate.

I am rooting for Jeff swooping in at the last minute to bring this car to west Michigan.

Just had to look... Pretty typical of trying to sell an exxe. No one should be surprised by the comments on BAT or what this exxe might sell for. Current bid of $4500 is quite good for any exxe.

As for "rust". If the chassis-body and other bits are made of steel, it will rust regardless of brand-manufacture or etc. Rust is a matter of perception and what any potential buyer-owner is willing to deal with to repair or more. This is an example of how moto myths take on a life of their own in the minds of moto folks and extremely difficult to alter.

There are plenty of market desirable motos that are beyond repairable due to rust, yet they are brought back from the struggle with Nature's effort to reclaim it's materials by pouring enormous resources into what is essentially completely re-manufacturing the moto from raw materials and skilled craft work.

Bernice

Back