where the carcass?

jvandyke

True Classic
I can't help but wonder if whoever got my totaled car ever showed up here? I should have left some contact info somewhere in the car. I feel sorry for them if they try to use the gauge cluster or something, I had modified it so much, if it were plugged into a standard harness it would likely burn the car down.

Was it red? ;)
x19inatruck.jpg

I feel sorry for them if they try to use the gauge cluster or something, I had modified it so much, if it were plugged into a standard harness it would likely burn the car down.
That reminds me of my first house. I was very young, completely inexperienced at home ownership, and just beginning my first career so I had no money. While it was in my possession I did a lot of self-repairs that weren't completely proper or to code. Years later the thought occurred to me, what if a new owner did not realize some of my improper work and somehow it lead to a fire or such. At one point I even drove past that house to see if it was still standing (fortunately it was). Perhaps it is some sort of karma, but since then I've discovered similar prior work in subsequent homes. Hopefully we learn as we go.

Last edited:
I did a good job on it, but I should have flagged it somehow. I can see someone taking the whole gauge cluster and thinking "oohhh, pretty white faces, nifty custom idiot lights, I'll just pop that into my X1/9......" fire.

Hey Jeff, I certainly wasn't implying your dash was poorly done, like my early home repairs were. You just reminded me of asking myself the question in the past . ;)

I hauled off a red 74 20 years ago. Even though it was so rusted it was undriveble I still felt guilty for scraping it.

That reminds me of my first house. I was very young, completely inexperienced at home ownership, and just beginning my first career so I had no money. While it was in my possession I did a lot of self-repairs that weren't completely proper or to code. Years later the thought occurred to me, what if a new owner did not realize some of my improper work and somehow it lead to a fire or such. At one point I even drove past that house to see if it was still standing (fortunately it was). Perhaps it is some sort of karma, but since then I've discovered similar prior work in subsequent homes. Hopefully we learn as we go.

Similar thing with my first house in southern Calif.
After about the first year of living in it had a light rain and a leak developed in the valley on the back part of the roof.
I went up for a look and found the W metal had rusted through where leaves and dirt had built up.

The house was built in the thirties and was on it's third layer of wood shingles and the top layer had been there for a long while.
I had some experience roofing and knew what a chore it would be to pull the flashing so cleaned everything real good patched the hole with Bondo and metal screen and then gave it a couple coats of thick metal roof paint top to bottom.

Lived in that house for another four years with never a problem and on inspection it was holding tight in some fairly heavy rains.

When I sold the house at the end of 1979 I signed a one year guarantee on the roof.
Hey, it was SoCal, it never rains in So Cal.
Come Jan. 1980 and it rained hard for nine days straight.
Nine sleepless nights.
My patch must have held because I never got the dreaded call.

Ironic, because it was about 1980 when my SoCal house developed some roof leaks during those severe rains. People were calling it the 100 year rain, El Nino's big brother, etc. Being born and raised in SoCal we were really spoiled when it comes to weather conditions. A few days of rain and we are thinking the apocalypse had come.

Well I'm currently going through my son's Porsche gauges, fixing the odometer and trying to resurrect the clock (can you believe they ask $500 for a clock?) This time I'll write what I did right on the gauge pods. I remember writing some notes on the backside of my old '63 Midget's dash.

Please remind me to NOT buy a x19 (or house) formerly owned by dr Jeff.

Back