Let's destroy two X1/9s

NEG, I don't, the red one would require a whole rear fender section and the car was not worth that much to begin with.
Eastep, I have a two car garage with a short driveway, the spider project is on one side and the wife's car is on the other.
While it would be nice to save the white one I feel it's too far gone. We shall see.

I agree with you Carl, not worth the time and money to fix either one of them. Better off taking all good parts off and finding someone that may need body parts out of them.
Be patient and if another rat X candidate comes by then grab it and start with a blank canvas.

Oooh! Oooh! Any undamaged unrusted drivers doors available?

(only joking a little bit. I would seriously love to purchase a good drivers door).

Dude- condolences..2 hit at once- you should go buy a lotto ticket immediately, as you are due some better luck/karma or whatever..
At least you were not in the immediate area, and got hurt by the idiot that hit them..So sorry to see this

Signs say: you have a REAL Fiat now, the spider, get rid of the crap in the way, get the REAL car done now!:rolleyes:
Of course , I don't believe signs; like curve speeds!

Not sure why, but I'm feeling like 'Jefco' is a bit biased toward 124's? :eek:

Hang in there Carl, we're here for you. ;)

Sorry, not against Exes, just following- isn't the spider pretty new too? maybe it's using bad Juju to eliminate competition!

Of course I feel for the loss to Carl; just trying (apparently badly) to shift blame onto the OTHER car.

Is it too soon to ask if either car has a 9/10 or 10/10 inside rear view mirror and if so, can I buy it?

Oh, by the way, sorry for your loss.

EDIT: Wow that hit the page looking EXTREMELY cold....sorry:oops:

I agree with you Carl, not worth the time and money to fix either one of them. Better off taking all good parts off and finding someone that may need body parts out of them.
Be patient and if another rat X candidate comes by then grab it and start with a blank canvas.

Carl, you may not have to be patient. I know of an '85 down near Richmond that a guy has owned since about 2008 or 2009. It hasn't left his yard in 9 years. Yes, it has some rust but the body is straight except for (oddly enough) the passenger door.
I think he's ready to let it go but he would like to keep his wheels. I believe that if you brought a trailer and a set of wheels/tires to put on it we...oops, I mean you and this guy, could push it on the trailer, he'd sign over the title and give you a signed note for DMV that said no money had changed hands. Might save some tax.
I know there's no rush on his part, just an option to keep in mind.

Carl, what are the black marks on the rear fender of the red car? Is it tire rubber from the Toyota?

Carl, what are the black marks on the rear fender of the red car? Is it tire rubber from the Toyota?

From what little imagery is available, I would say yes, it is part of how the Toyota overturned, it hit, deflected the X over the curb, started climbing the red X and landed on the white X’s hood. Hitting the white car’s A pillar and then the targa is what put the car over on its side.

Although there are not pics of the front bumper of the white X, what little can be seen shows that the front of the Toyota was well up in the air when it hit the white X as the hood isn’t bent upward and has an impact gouge across it surface. The white X likely was pushed back despite being in gear by the impact of the Toyota’s cross member or transmission casing hitting the targa bar.

It must have been a wild second for the driver.

The first hit was hard, as it hit a pretty strong part of the red X and moved the X over curb.

I would bet the driver was looking down as they car came around the curve, proceeded straight entirely missing the curve, glided across the drivers door, hitting the sail panel behind the door and then dug deeply into the X when it pushed the panel into the rear strut. This is when the car started climbing the red X as you can see there is not impact damage to the rear rim on the red X despite the wheel being deflected. Hitting the strut mounting is what likely moved the X over the curb and from there it launched the Toyota onto the white X.

Man what a bummer.

Karl, you might be right, there are NO marks on the front of the white X, I thought it strange at the time but your explanation of the dynamics makes sense. I forgot, when the cars were hit they were parked nose to tail about a foot apart, not 20 feet apart like now.

The red X rear section was just fine before the hit so any marks on it was made in the accident.
Let's hold off on parts requests for now!
The red X was always meant to be the parts donor for my flared X.
Thanks for the reference to the other X down south of me but not really ready to do two conversions especially with a my new to me (since October) 75 spider which is in the garage undergoing a painful and probably lengthy restoration.

Every forum has their wise-asses.

I did not intend to be a wise-ass. Actually, I am totally serious. I do apologize if I came off that way. I try to use humor to diffuse tense situations. I am sorry for the accident, and I am sorry at seeing two good examples of the X mangled and battered. I will back off and not comment again.

Karl's proposed description of the events is pretty much how I imagined it as well. And if that's correct, the initial impact into the red car would have the most energy imparted. Considering it was parked next to the curb, and ended up over the curb, I wonder if the RIGHT side rear suspension (on the red car) was also damaged, from hitting the curb before it went over it?

Hold it. Stop insulting Mechanogeek by calling him by my name. Do not take Carl seriously even on destroyed cars. This just means he sold the cars to the Toyota's insurance company instead of some one else.
I am upset because I lost the DCFiats pool on when he was going to sell the white X1/9. I had April 23rd, 2019.

Mech, not to worry, I actually thought you were trying to be a smart ass. When and if it comes time to sell off stuff I will let all here know. In the mean time I'm not even entertaining offers. Don't forget, I need to settle up with the insurance company first.

I will most certainly get both cars back from the insurance company if totaled.

I will most certainly get both cars back from the insurance company if totaled.
I don't think you would have that option in Illinois. You can't buy your totalled car back from the insurance company anymore. Its against the law now. (Probably to prevent insurance fraud). Maybe you can still do the buyback in VA, better check to make sure.

I would be seriously pissed if I had to give up both cars, there are some really nice parts on them. I'm not going to start a dialogue with her insurance till they look at the cars and tell me what they plan to do.

Back