Wanted: 5spd driveshafts + hubs

xone9

Matt
Hey all,

Im looking to aquire a set of 5 speed driveshafts and hubs in order to convert my X to 5 speed.

Im located in Melbourne, Australia. 5 speed cars are pretty rare in Aus, so im hoping for some luck here

Thanks in Advance,
Matt

What about a pair of "franken-axles" that suit the 5 speed CV joint on the inner, and suit the four speed CV joint on the outer.... allows you to retain the stock hubs/cv's/struts.

PM sent.

SteveC

Hey Steve...I was wondering if there was ever such a thing, as one day I would like to get a 5 speed...Probably won't be soon. Are those off like a Yugo or something from a different market, or did someone make them? just curious, obviously hard to source

Custom made, machine steel and hardened splines. In Australia the number of five speed cars is quite low (well under 250 cars imported across the country) and in the 90's people were wanting to fit five speed transmissions to their X19's ... importing a transmission not so hard... axles/hubs/c.v's adds a heap of weight to the package... so the idea was hatched to make axles with spline / size on one end to fit the five speed inner CV, and the other end a spline / size to suit the outboard CV joint of the four speed, and this is the last set of axles I have left... the other sets all sold / were fitted to cars.

Kevin, for you in the states, it would be easier to source the five speed specific parts.

SteveC

yep, just wondering, as I thought years ago That I had found a yugo model 5 speed with tripodes...guess I was mistaken...

well there certainly are five speeds that use a tripode as the inner CV... ritmo/strada in europe in 65 and 65CL...and regata 85s...plus many more.

SteveC

and oh sorry for changing direction of the post btw, just curious, and once again, I was thinking backwards, as to what transmission could be used instead of changing all that stuff...I thought I did see some tripode axles for a later Yugo I thought was a 5 speed. Was just wondering if I could go that way...of course yugo trannys are prob harder to find, and geared higher up I imagine

A Yugo (or 128) transaxle case has the shifter coming out the wrong end, so if you find one, you have to put the pieces in an X case.

Back