13x7 mini lites clearance issues

Chris in Canada

True Classic
was told I would have to “modify” wheel arches to fit these. Not sure how much “modification” is required!! Is it simply having the lip rolled or is there cutting involved? The rims have a -7 offset. Also, any suggestions on tire size? I have a set of 205/60/13’s and 185’s. Always hard to tell what they will look like until they’re on the car!

That is an unusual wheel.

The OE wheels are 5x13 with a positive offset of 25-27mm depending on the rim

Your new rims stick the front lip a full 1.3” (32mm) further out than the OE rims. This will likely require a decent amount of reworking of the lip. Rolling them at the very least.

This will also change the general steering configuration such that the wheel will describe a much more outward arc due to the negative offset. This means that the front and rear edge of the tire is very likely to contact the front or rear edge of the fender opening.

You may need to rethink using these rims even with the 185/60 section tires.

Some of our fellow racers says we could go as much as 4,5 inches for the backspace. You will be far from that. To reduce risks of touching the fender lip, then you could remove the factory spacer. Rolling the lips will probably enough. 205 in the rear and 185 in front are often recommended. The 205 will get you approx the same overall diameter than stock, so keep the speedo accurate. 185 in front will reduce effort to steer and will clear the fender more easily.

Even then, no tires are created equal and suspension height may vary so some test fit may be required.

You can get away with 13x7 wheels with no bodywork modifications if you get the correct offset and go to 2.25" coilovers to give more inside clearance. Either way there is work and money involved

That is an unusual wheel.

The OE wheels are 5x13 with a positive offset of 25-27mm depending on the rim

Your new rims stick the front lip a full 1.3” (32mm) further out than the OE rims. This will likely require a decent amount of reworking of the lip. Rolling them at the very least.

This will also change the general steering configuration such that the wheel will describe a much more outward arc due to the negative offset. This means that the front and rear edge of the tire is very likely to contact the front or rear edge of the fender opening.

You may need to rethink using these rims even with the 185/60 section tires.
Here is the add;http://www.superdoopercheap.co.uk/o...D_BwE.&p=HdDp&r=&it=lzxoxoEaEavb-vbj-l1ab1a-l

Honestly those rims would likely be better for someone who is building a fender flared car such as Carl and his new RatX, Hussein or others who are going for the Abarth rally car approach. However I have been wrong before and will be again.

The rim width is out at the limit for normal application of a 185/60 tire which is fine but the offset in combination with the increased width is what is likely to cause you problems.

This is the tire/rim sizer I reference.
AED1400A-4EC5-458B-AA9A-EED5D2B67ADC.jpeg

0B9F653E-FCE4-42BB-A719-B00E61B35D91.jpeg

XC56XCSr6uWfNqkoXEPzRygI0rwQhHqC3ZvxLD_jueUMUkmvGHOiXD6cS4T4FE0aiO1SHDCNIDPFlmKvvEJGnjCkRkIAYwDZovuMQlXDS3EbEPKFnaHzj_tWlGOWNwy2bBeGlvpATxXiG5zFaTBEBc4VE_fzbW9IS1ekaVD9qvxstNS39uuB3DqGHgX95ag6RN8qp4d_9MOluFEcq3133I1c0L7W1kQaJ2azDMhB9Tk6MpLVd09uxoE0E4Prs26RbaQyp9zxs1e14brtxxI67SY0vIKRzSsLw0TNYr2krPW1iA5d1PT9lRE4j-ksjWxvHIpspABU5YyiXTPTrcLnzUlMyOM40a0Oy4IWG_O9p6mQXM5Sor97G5L31j_hccKTvvCRCQS8xlYcpx7jRheiNwckB-ObcnKprOidjjqV-lCvBwufctlpXEamgxszMDD2aQwfamtcW-2e_2JnCoRPnbmruX0QEiPKzPfzgdEUt6G0fBdI0uSZt2LbWnt0KiC9pxOQpDwCzMx9-x8ioaGevUvWFIsWsYLNlTJTFV7n1bodpm3BigjEZ2iG0IW2IToGYzuKuFwpImovk5ln0ETRK77bsjlkxAUWrCD4XS9AjurWHJd1wuX67RFPfF-otWkiFWeCMD1rqnh2jZTCNQ28v13CL4znY4l1=w1615-h908-no

Thats the 13x7 rears with -7 offset and 13x6 fronts with +16 offset. From www.Johnbrownwheels.com

I realise this is the worst photo ever to show offsets but its all i could find on my phone!!!

I'll have a search later for a better photo.

A photo showing a view along the side of the car showing the relationship of the outside of the rim and the outside of the flair would be a great view to see for the front and rear.

A photo showing a view along the side of the car showing the relationship of the outside of the rim and the outside of the flair would be a great view to see for the front and rear.
Vas has a photo showing that exactly with a set of 15x8’s with +0 offset. Shows the rim edge .5” out from the wheel lip!

I have 13 x 7 with 0 offset on the rear, with no spacer, the outside edge of the rim is inline with the wheel arch. This pic is with a 185/60R13 Toyo R888R. 7mm more offset and 205 tyre would poke out past the body, and would most likely need the lip rolled up to clear when hitting a bump. I haven't tried them on the front. Fronts in the pic are 175/60 R13 on 6" rims with +18 offset and a 9mm spacer. I also use 185/60 R888R on the front and with the car lowered 1" I had to roll the lip slightly. I don't think your 7" with -7mm offset and 205s will fit the front without major work.
101_0634 0 offset 7inch.jpg

I have 13 x 7 with 0 offset on the rear, with no spacer, the outside edge of the rim is inline with the wheel arch. This pic is with a 185/60R13 Toyo R888R. 7mm more offset and 205 tyre would poke out past the body, and would most likely need the lip rolled up to clear when hitting a bump. I haven't tried them on the front. Fronts in the pic are 175/60 R13 on 6" rims with +18 offset and a 9mm spacer. I also use 185/60 R888R on the front and with the car lowered 1" I had to roll the lip slightly. I don't think your 7" with -7mm offset and 205s will fit the front without major work.View attachment 19367
Do you have a side pic? Would like to see the wheels!!

The wheels will not work on the front axle with 185/60.
Even with using lots of negative camber and rolled fender lips, it is just too much.
In the rear, you could get away with it with 2-3 degrees of camber and rolled lips I think.

These wheels are not going to work on a stock exxe.
Why these specific 13x7 with -7mm offset?

If this is a public road driven car, tire selection would be a serious problem.

There are other wheel choices that are better suited to a public road driven exxe.

Bernice

These wheels are not going to work on a stock exxe.
Why these specific 13x7 with -7mm offset?

If this is a public road driven car, tire selection would be a serious problem.

There are other wheel choices that are better suited to a public road driven exxe.

Bernice
Just saw the rims and liked them! Not too many options for 13” fiat wheels!! Yes, she’s my daily driver all summer! I have 2 sets of wheels, aluminum slots and some lotus rims, but still looking!

I'm looking too, for the flared X and the only advice I can give you is don't buy any funky sized wheels unless you are sure you can get tires for them. This is sort of why I gave up on any wide 13" wheels as 185s will probably be too skinny and nothing fatter is available short of race tires. The 205/60/13 market seems dead.

Wider tires do not inherently produce more traction due to being wider. Wider tires will alter the shape of the tire contact patch with the tire to road contact area being much the same. If more traction is wanted-needed, it is much a matter of tire compound and tire construction.

Wider rims-tires often alter the dynamic roll center of a chassis-suspension that can deceive the driver wider tires-rims have more grip. In some cases, it does but this also effects other performance areas of the chassis-suspension's dynamic behavior. It is all a set of trade offs.

The only way the contact patch of a wider tire will grow is to increase the loading on that tire. This is precisely what aero down force does and why real aero specific race cars have BIG tires and can corner at several Gs (3-4G) in ways a strict mechanical grip chassis never could under any condition.

More often than not, bigger-wider tires on a public road driven car is a Fashion Statement.

Bernice

Back