Lost the registration and had to go to the MVA for replacement

toddr124

Hagerstown, MD
I really like living in the middle of no where Maryland. Went to the MVA today to get a replacement registration sticker and card. Took 4 minutes from walking in to walking out with a very helpful lady doing all the work for me at no charge.

Yes I a bragging about Hagerstown, MD

Just like in California. NOT.
Stuff like that is exactly why I could consider not returning to Calif when my obligations in Vegas are finished. Having been born in SoCal, and spending my entire life there until this temporary situation I'm currently in, I never thought I'd be saying that. But once I spent some time away and return for visits, I notice just how bad it has become. I blame most of that on the excessive congestion created by the continual influx of people from other parts of the country. But everything about it has changed for the worse unfortunately.
Glad you were able to get the registration sorted.

In Penna our title and registration work is done by private businesses that are contracted by PennDOT. All manner of locations, hours and prices, and like any other business, pricing is competitive. Most are online with the State thru another intermediate contractor so the routine stuff is completed on-the-spot. PennDOT's website also allows you to go online to do a lot of routine renewals and replacements and pay with a credit card.

Most driver licensing tasks are handled at PennDOT owned/operated offices. Fewer of these means longer waits. Just went recently to renew Driver's License and had to go back to provide additional documentation for "RealID" (Penna DL was not compliant with federal "your papers please, or you vill be shot" standards so they are in the midst of revamping DLs).

How do the millennials deal with this kind of thing, they hate personal contact with an actual person?
I discovered a secret DMV office near me that is so untypical of other Virginia DMV offices that it's like Todd's experience. Usually northern Virginia DMVs are like the Doc's experience in Cali.

I really like living in the middle of no where Maryland. Went to the MVA today to get a replacement registration sticker and card. Took 4 minutes from walking in to walking out with a very helpful lady doing all the work for me at no charge.

Yes I a bragging about Hagerstown, MD
I'm sure that the person you dealt with had a huge influence on your experience. Sounds like she might be well suited to the job. You might have had a completely different experience with someone else.

our title and registration work is done by private businesses
I tend to think we would benefit in general if many government services were privatized. Considering how inefficient our government is, it can only get better. One small example. In my area there was a tremendous growth period (America's fastest growing city for nearly 15 years) where many public services could not keep up with the demand. So the Post Office allowed independent satellite locations to be operated by private companies. There is one of those by me and there is never a line, service is quick and courteous, and things actually happen correctly...completely the opposite experience than going to the regular (government run) post offices in the area. Another similar example is the DMV in Calif, where members of the AAA auto club can get services done at the AAA offices instead of going to the regular DMV offices. It is a world of difference and worth the cost of AAA membership for that alone.

Back