Glass Removal

Ed Lord

Daily Driver
I am taking apart my car, any tips on removing the front and rear glass. Any help is appreciated.
Ed

Rear glass is pretty easy. It's in the shop manual, but basically once you work the bottom rubber seal strip out the rear window sleds down and out.

Windshield is trickier. If it hasn't been out before there is (at last in the early models) a wire embedded in the seal. Find the ends at the bottom center inside, and connect 24 volts (two fully charged batteries connected in series) across them, let it heat up until the adhesive softens, then work the glass slowly out. I've gotten two out that way without breaking them.
If that option isn't available, you have to cut through the adhesive with a wire windshield removal tool. I broke the glass the one time I tried, but that was because I didn't know what I was doing.

I would only remove the windshield if there was no alternative, for example to repair serious rust in the surround.

Took mine off with razor knife, but went real slow. Mine is a 74 and it had the wire Eric mentioned, but it was pretty worthless, between corrosion and access. I think I used a heat gun on the adhesive, but not excessive amount. It took several evenings to get it done. Just don't be in a hurry. An alternative is to get one of the windshield replacement folks to come by. They have the new knives that cut right through.
Glen

This may not be much help to you but I've removed windshields by simply rolling up the windows and letting the car bake in the sun all day. Then in the afternoon I got in the "oven" and pushed the windshield out with my feet. It's amazing how strong they are as long as you don't apply point pressure.

An alternative is to get one of the windshield replacement folks to come by. They have the new knives that cut right through.
Considering the difficulty in getting replacement windshields, having a auto glass service do it might be worth it. If I recall, I think it was around $30 to have then remove and reinstall a windshield. And the two were done at different times; one price to do both procedures but scheduled separately. Just make sure they are liable if it breaks in the process, and they guarantee the install wouldn't leak. Cheap insurance I think.

Considering the difficulty in getting replacement windshields, having a auto glass service do it might be worth it. If I recall, I think it was around $30 to have then remove and reinstall a windshield. And the two were done at different times; one price to do both procedures but scheduled separately. Just make sure they are liable if it breaks in the process, and they guarantee the install wouldn't leak. Cheap insurance I think.

$30?? In NY, they wouldn't even look at it for that price. $100 minimum would be more likely, for R&R around here :(

The foot method sounds interesting but I would be nervous trying it.
My main two cents is don't get in a hurry, even at the last.
Like MikeHynes said avoid to much pressure at one point.
I was removing the windshield from a 75 X and almost had it out but didn't watch what I was doing and put to much pressure at one point of the top edge and a 4 inch U shaped crack suddenly appeared.
Glass gets brittle as it ages.

I've done the two footed approach before many times - so far so good! I even saved 4 of them for future needs! :)

Is the glass that hard to come by? I have taken all my glass out but the windshield is discolored in a few spots on the edge. The discoloration is in the glass. Obviously I wanted to replace it.

I haven't had to buy one. But based on prior comments on this forum, the supply for windshields seems to come and go. A few years ago parts for old Fiats in general were readily available everywhere and very cheap. In recent years many items seem to be getting harder to find and prices are skyrocketing (in my opinion).

Apparently there is a windshield manufacturer in China that still produces them for the X? As I understand, every so often one of the autoglass chains will import a batch, so the availability comes and goes according. But the price isn't cheap. And depending on where they happen to be located the shipping expense can almost double that.

Depending on your goals for your X, your budget, and the condition of your current glass, you might want to save and protect it for further use. A good cleaning always helps. And I don't mean wiping it Windex. Read up online about cleaning and polishing auto glass.

Thanks Jeff Looking into the cleaning. I have a glass guy for my company and I am checking in with them, will post any info

Is the glass that hard to come by? I have taken all my glass out but the windshield is discolored in a few spots on the edge. The discoloration is in the glass. Obviously I wanted to replace it.
Don't discard or destroy the old one until you know you can get your hands on another one.

Back