What lovely floors

carl

True Classic
Got the carpeting and padding up from the floor of the Fatrat and was disappointed but it's not terminal.

IMG_0820[3].JPG

Passenger floor was rusted along the seat track strips, never seen that in an X. Driver side was fine. The plan is to cut out patch panels from the ratX which had very good floors in this area.

IMG_0828[2].JPG

Hard to tell from the picture but the driver floor where your heels would go is really beat up, like the car hit a small IED under it. I have seen a lot of Xs pushed up here where apparently morons have set a jack right here and pushed up the floor but this one looks even more deformed than that. Will require heavy hammer work to get it flat again....been there done that.

The floors under the seats on both sides showed lots of deformity, I have no clue why but jacking up and hammering down will get it flattish again. The jack anchor on the passenger side is half ripped out.

I'm a bit afraid to pull back the carpeting/padding on my outlaw X. Rust wise it looks fairly decent from underneath, but I won't fully know until I get everything stripped. The floor pans are all bent up similar to what you describe. Looking at the pattern of the damage, it appears as though the bottom of the car had hit objects (ie. the car drove over things)...many times. The coolant pipes toward the front (between where they come out of the tunnel and where they curve up toward the rad) were crushed to the point coolant flow hardly existed. Might partly explain the cracks in the severely warped head. :rolleyes:

Early VW's very often get that pattern of rot by the seat tracks. Not sure why.

since you are there. you might look at your throttle peddle assembly. Looks like the stop is broken. (My wife's X was that way when we bought it, and though it was still driveable, it was annoying.

Yuk. Looks like you really need to cut the floor out back to the rocker/tunnel. Looks like much perforation, esp the forward DS footwell... can't imagine it's really gonna be less work to patch it.

you might look at your throttle peddle assembly. Looks like the stop is broken
Rod, you have amazing vision. I can't see that level of detail to even notice. Funny though, I just finished rebuilding the throttle pedal assembly on one of mine. I'm about to start a thread about it.

Rod, you have amazing vision. I can't see that level of detail to even notice. Funny though, I just finished rebuilding the throttle pedal assembly on one of mine. I'm about to start a thread about it.

what caught my eye was the peddle being in the wrong place. (the stop is on the other side of the assembly, inside the tunnel)

You guys may have to give me more details on the throttle stop, what am I looking for? While struggling to pull the damn carpet away from the gas pedal arm I did hear something pop like breaking something but can't find what it was.

I'm not a fan of replacing whole floor panels, never done it and don't look forward to it. Much easier for my skill level to patch local rust areas.

more details on the throttle stop, what am I looking for?
I believe Rod is saying the throttle pedal is too far back, meaning the stop on the inner side is out of position. I'll try to illustrate with a couple of pics from my other thread:

The raised portion of the metal arm (located inside the tunnel) should be behind (forward of) the ridge on the plastic portion (see arrow):
001 - Copy.JPG

Might make more sense from this angle, with the metal arm removed:
003 - Copy.JPG

Perhaps the "pop" you heard was the plastic ridge breaking off inside? I found that the plastic is very brittle so that could have happened while wrestling with the carpet. Or the metal arm came off the throttle shaft/rod (highly doubt this, they are welded together)? Or maybe the throttle cable snapped? But that would allow the pedal to flop forward, not rearward. Look through one of the access holes to the inside of the tunnel and see how these parts are arranged on yours. The pedal should not be allowed to travel rearward past the plastic ridge.
Let me know if additional pics will help, mine is still out if the car.

Cable did not break, that was my first thought. I'll compare it to a spare gas pedal assembly I have.

Does the pedal flop rearward, toward the seat? If so, my guess is this portion of the plastic broke off:

003 - Copy.JPG

Yea, it sure do! Been busy removing the axles today in prep for motor/trans removal. It's interesting, nothing in this car so far is of any value, the axle boots were torn and the CVs dry. I knew what I was doing when I removed EVERYTHING from the rat so I don't need these axles.

I was able to hammer the floor back down to flat. The sheet metal in the footwells really is thin and you can hear when the metal falls back to it's original position.

Back