Windshields completly unobtainium?

Kevin Cozzo

True Classic
Was just reading Colltech's Windshield thread. I am repainting, and now kicking myself for not getting one from Safelite a few years back when they said they were available...I called them the other day just to see, before reading his post, and he recommended all the sources previously stated- Pilkington, Ebay....
So has anyone found a reasonable priced source again? How does shipping those insured work? Will the insurance fully reimburse it if it's damaged?
I wonder how difficult it would be to cut around the windshield and ship it with some framing around it- At this point I would consider a used one- Carl? I know it's too soon to ask, but how was the red X windshield?

I still have 28 new original windscreens in stock. As I said in the previous thread, all have some imperfections because of their age.
I also have one used.
As stated before, I would rather not ship, but have the buyer pick the one they want.
Plan on coming to my warehouse to examine what I have, closest airport is San Jose, San Francisco, or Monterey. Tie it into a visit to our part of the world, or even the Monterey Historic week events. 2019 is the 50th anniversary for our local club, Fiat America, and they have special events and plans for the Monterey week.

Damage during shipping is something you should fully understand before hiring a shipping company. I normally suggest a company that specializes in rare art works, he will pick it up from me and wrap it in one of his blankets, and then deliver to your door. Bob is not cheap.
Advantage is that then you don't have to pay me to build a crate.
But even Bob charges extra if you want it insured...

Most trucking companies require a much larger box if you want it insured. I suggest you read my glass policy on my web store to understand.

Yeah Chris, wish you were closer, I just don't travel that often. as for the shipping thing, I'd like for it to get here in one piece no matter how I do it eventually, and be insured where it's no loss to me financially should it not get here undamaged..and of course there's always "the budget" also guess I need to start pestering the guy down the street with the X rotting and rusting in his driveway...Guess it's now worth about 800 bucks if it has a good windshield, has some cool wheels too. I think he's waiting for someone to offer him a million dollars..Pfff

Well Mechanogeek wins the internet...the Guy at Prosource came thru for me...really weird, because I called him a couple of weeks ago, and shipping one from California was the only option, and the shipping was the same for 1 or 5 winshields, so I tried to find others local to see if they needed one, to no avail...So I find a friend that owns a warehouse (because shipping freight to a commercial address is cheaper) and when I call the Prosource guy back, he finds a bunch in Irving Tx, about 30 minutes from me...I am about to go pick it up- for some reason, I feel dissappointment coming on, thinking it's not going to really be an X windscreen- we'll see

I hope you are successful!

I have a good replacement windshield I removed from the parts car, but shipping makes it not worthwhile, IMO

Weeeelll, YES! the Richard Tankel at Prosource does know where to get windscreens, and there are 5 in Irving tx, well 4 now...He also offered to ship in a crate for 180 bucks, and said he would guarantee it delivered unbroken, or he would send another- real stand up guy. So I highly recommend him!
I am pissed tho, I went to remove my lightly scratched windscreen, and couldn't find the heating element wires, until I started cutting the old glue, was really hoping to heat it up, and see if the wire method works- lol

Curious what the price was for the new windshield?
Considering you were able to pick it up, avoiding all shipping costs, I'd have considered buying two - if the price was reasonable. ;)

I bought two from Prosource last year as the shipping was only about $10 more for two. Unfortunately, the closest ones were in California, so not an option to pick them up in person. I was very pleased with his service and the quality and fit of the windshields was fine. They are a little thinner than stock, but recent manufacture from China. They were $269 each and shipping was $210 for both from southern Cal to Olympia.

Dang Rodger! If I knew you were buying two windshields I would have bought one or two myself and split the shipping with you. Is there anyone else in the Seattle area that is currently in the market for a windshield and is interested in splitting the shipping cost? I would still be in to buy one or even two windshields if I could split the shipping with one or two more people. Just give a shout out if you are interested and maybe we can work out a deal with Richard at Prosource glass.

Dang Rodger! If I knew you were buying two windshields I would have bought one or two myself and split the shipping with you. Is there anyone else in the Seattle area that is currently in the market for a windshield and is interested in splitting the shipping cost? I would still be in to buy one or even two windshields if I could split the shipping with one or two more people. Just give a shout out if you are interested and maybe we can work out a deal with Richard at Prosource glass.
Sorry, man. I should have posted about it, but it never occurred to me. :oops:

That's OK Rodger, I will forgive you this one time:) If you happen to know of anyone who wants a windshield for their X1/9 let me know. I am going to try and see if I can get a group buy together of people who live around the Seattle area (and of course, Vancouver area in BC!). Do you happen to know how many windshields Richard had in California? I plan to call him to find out what his current supply is and where they are located and get some updated prices.

That's OK Rodger, I will forgive you this one time:) If you happen to know of anyone who wants a windshield for their X1/9 let me know. I am going to try and see if I can get a group buy together of people who live around the Seattle area (and of course, Vancouver area in BC!). Do you happen to know how many windshields Richard had in California? I plan to call him to find out what his current supply is and where they are located and get some updated prices.
I honestly don't remember. Give him a call and I know he will be a big help. I think he had said something about putting in an order for more from China, but he needed to order at least 10 at a time. (I think).

I bought two from Prosource last year as the shipping was only about $10 more for two. Unfortunately, the closest ones were in California, so not an option to pick them up in person. I was very pleased with his service and the quality and fit of the windshields was fine. They are a little thinner than stock, but recent manufacture from China. They were $269 each and shipping was $210 for both from southern Cal to Olympia.
Weeeelll, YES! the Richard Tankel at Prosource does know where to get windscreens, and there are 5 in Irving tx, well 4 now...He also offered to ship in a crate for 180 bucks, and said he would guarantee it delivered unbroken, or he would send another- real stand up guy. So I highly recommend him!
I am pissed tho, I went to remove my lightly scratched windscreen, and couldn't find the heating element wires, until I started cutting the old glue, was really hoping to heat it up, and see if the wire method works- lol
I sent an email to prosource today. Said he doesn’t have any left but could get me one in a couple of weeks. I’m looking at over $700 Canadian!! My windshield isn’t broken, just a little weathered. I might wait!!

Question in regards to the front windscreen... Anyone have a source for the edge moulding that goes around the front opening before the glass is placed? I looked on Bayless and didn't see a listing for it. My old trim is toast and rusted beyond reuse.

Back