#EngineSwap : All K20-swappers out there!

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Are any of you using an RBC intake manifold? (vs. PRB that comes stock on the k20a2)

Here is a comparison:

RBC4.jpg

RBC on the left...

The RBC is stock for US Civic Si. The 15hp increase, pretty substantiated claims are out there from what I have read and discussed with my tuner. I think it will fit the custom box/panel (behind seat) but not sure about the space around the fuel cell.

IMG_00093-a.jpg

The RBC is reguarded as one of the best, if not the best, intake manifold for the K20 engine. I thought of using an RBC in my swap except that the RBC is much longer that a PRB. The PRB barely fits around the gas tank. I can't imagine that the RBC would fit as it is significantly longer that the PRB. It looks like the RBC is about 2-3 inches longer than the PRB. Here are a couple comparison pictures. (RBC is on the left)

I only have about 1/2 inch of clearance between my throttle body extension and the gas tank. I am not sure if anyone else has more room.

Hey you Hot Rodders... why not do the RIGHT THIING?

It'll also help balance the car better when you install a fuel cell up front!

That would be about another 80 pounds moved from where you don't need it out back! Then you can also cut away the shelf a bit more and move your seat, and YOUR seat... back for a couple more VALUABLE inches of legroom!

You are installing a couple of Kirkey Racing Buckets, right?

(Can I spend YOUR money or what???)

It'll also help balance the car better when you install a fuel cell up front!

That would be about another 80 pounds moved from where you don't need it out back! Then you can also cut away the shelf a bit more and move your seat, and YOUR seat... back for a couple more VALUABLE inches of legroom!

You are installing a couple of Kirkey Racing Buckets, right?

(Can I spend YOUR money or what???)

Fuel cell up front is a great idea however I keep my spare up there now. If I had a small enough spare I could slide it where the stock fuel tank (used to) go after installing the fuel cell in the frunk as you suggest Papa T.

I picked up an RBC manifold and TB neck converter cheap today and I am eyeballing it into place.

IMG_00259.jpg

I think it WILL fit with some *slight* cutting/grinding. IF it doesn't look like an easy job, I will probably re-sell the mani and converter.

Won't know for sure till I pop the mani off. I am going to swap out the intake manifold gasket anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to at least try and fit it and go from there. Stay tuned...

-Tim

I really admire your spirit

I hardly have time to work on my K20 swap and you are already tearing yours apart to make more mods. :worship: I will watch with interest. BTW, keep doing the updates to your K20 website. I learn more every time I visit.

I picked up an RBC manifold and TB neck converter cheap today and I am eyeballing it into place.

IMG_00259.jpg

I think it WILL fit with some *slight* cutting/grinding. IF it doesn't look like an easy job, I will probably re-sell the mani and converter.

Won't know for sure till I pop the mani off. I am going to swap out the intake manifold gasket anyway, so it wouldn't hurt to at least try and fit it and go from there. Stay tuned...

-Tim

Just found this thread looking for one of your Supercharger pics to gauge top clearance for potential center mount TB setup. Did you ever get the RBC to fit?

I really admire your spirit
I hardly have time to work on my K20 swap and you are already tearing yours apart to make more mods. :worship: I will watch with interest. BTW, keep doing the updates to your K20 website. I learn more every time I visit.

Is there a link for the K20 website?

EDIT: Found a link in this thread - I even commented on it back then - shows how bad my memory is overall :D

Last edited:
Ya'll be workin wayyyyy to hard!!! LOL! I was a heavy equipment mechanic in the Navy and we had a sayin...

"Ya gotta be smarter than what yer workin on"

Did they also teach you to blow up your engines just so you could rebuild them all over again?:D

Yes Sir!!! Actually two engines and two transmissions to date for the VW... It's a fine line keepin all that awesome together.

I push my equipment pretty hard... Harder than most. When it doesn't cooperate, it gets a butt spanking! Tell ya what, let me know when you can build a 72' VW Bettle that can run a 10.83 quarter mile with 30" mud tires on it and we'll line em up! Hahahahahaha!!! Nuttin but money right?

Live to drive, drive to live!

:cool:

I have looked all over in this forum as well as on your other site, and I can't find anything on wether you got the RBC manifold to fit.
The wrecked RSX I bought had a low mile K20Z3 swapped in with the RBC and an adapter for the cable TB. I have already gotten rid of the balance shaft oil pump and swapped the pan, but for performance I am thinking I want to keep the RBC manifold if I can.
Any info you can provide will be a great help. I really don't want to have to put the fuel tank in the front.

I have looked all over in this forum as well as on your other site, and I can't find anything on wether you got the RBC manifold to fit.
The wrecked RSX I bought had a low mile K20Z3 swapped in with the RBC and an adapter for the cable TB. I have already gotten rid of the balance shaft oil pump and swapped the pan, but for performance I am thinking I want to keep the RBC manifold if I can.
Any info you can provide will be a great help. I really don't want to have to put the fuel tank in the front.

Look at Tony's post here - this is pretty much what would have to happen, at the very least

IMG_3002.jpg
IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_3004.jpg
thats mine , rbc will not work its way too long , you will need to chop it up to make it fit i had it on my z3 also its was not working for me at all here some pic of my set up

Back