Stress cracks

PaulD

Paul Davock
In repairing a rusted spot where the plastic plug goes through the door weather seal on the rocker panel, I noticed this stress crack:

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0437.jpg

Is this a common stress crack area? My car is has 37,000 miles (confirmed on car fax), but there was evidence that car had seen at least one off road excursion. There were two bent wheels and flattening of the foot wells and tunnel cover. There are two small stress cracks at the top of the tunnel at the corners of the shift lever cut out. I drilled small holes at the end of each of these and left them. I wonder if there have been a lot of impact that has caused the cracks, or if it is a common outcome of normal usage? Should I check the the under body dimensions as shown on pages 70 -7/8 of the Bertone service manual?

I will drill the ends of the cracks and have them welded (I only do gas welling, not the ticket for this). I will also weld in a patch for the rust area on the door sill. I was going to use lead with copper plate underneath, only if I am getting a welder in, I will do it right.
another question I have is how do I rust protect the inside of the rocker panel after it is welded?

Paul Davock

It could be a bad weld as there are three panels (possibly four) coming together there

Midwest-Bayless has a pic of the OEM replacement panel, that might help you decide a course of action:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-1...-frame-right-fiat-bertone-x19-all-oe-nos.aspx

If you have the carpet out, there are some holes in the inside faces of the main rockers that allow some access into the interior of the rocker box sections. Also, if you take out the side scoops, there is a surprising amount of access into the box sections. A product along these lines might be what you are looking for:

Midwest-Bayless has a pic of the OEM replacement panel, that might help you decide a course of action:
https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-1...-frame-right-fiat-bertone-x19-all-oe-nos.aspx

If you have the carpet out, there are some holes in the inside faces of the main rockers that allow some access into the interior of the rocker box sections. Also, if you take out the side scoops, there is a surprising amount of access into the box sections. A product along these lines might be what you are looking for:

The rust around the retaining plug is the only rust on the panel, I will likely hold off on a replacement.

The 3M cavity wax is a great suggestion! Thank you.

I don't think cracks there are normal. However, the cracks up on the shifter tunnel are fairly normal, it seems every X I have had has them. I wonder what is causing the shifter area cracks?

Ask the Brit's about rust protection. They are experts and have lots of products and techniques we never heard of.

If oil leaks worked to prevent rust, then none of our X's would have any rust either. :D

From the engine back...

Wish that was true. My X leaks less than my Miata or Toyota Sienna. My 124 does have a transmission oil leak but its due to a stripped stud holding its steel pan on.

Well, if we were really smart, we would rig the crankcase breather to vent right next to known rust areas.

Well, if we were really smart, we would rig the crankcase breather to vent right next to known rust areas.
So basically that would be at the very front of the car where it can spray the entire body as you drive. :oops:

it's the reason why i sprayed\brushed with oil\grease all the car..have to say the smell in the cabin is not that great, though

Back