Rat X, Outlaw X, modded X

No he hasn’t started it up yet (hopefully will this spring) and doesn’t have a scale at his place.

It only needs the dash, seats, tubing, some components, and fiberglass bodywork added on so the majority of the weight is already there other than the driver.

Ya, I guess there are some sort of divisions between race cars, full custom modifieds, exotic builds, and the low buck rat/outlaw garbage we are featuring here. :)
Actually I feel like a couple of the other 'rats' shown earlier make my outlaw look really bad. So maybe there are even subdivisions, however that's not worth discussing. Although I will say the whole "rat rod" thing with those wild hot-rod derivatives (like featured on some TV shows) have gotten out of hand. I always considered a rat/outlaw to be something built at home with little skills/equipment/money/resources/etc. And not a $100K custom like they feature.
But I love them all and appreciate hearing about all builds.

Ya, I guess there are some sort of divisions between race cars, full custom modifieds, exotic builds, and the low buck rat/outlaw garbage we are featuring here. :)
Actually I feel like a couple of the other 'rats' shown earlier make my outlaw look really bad. So maybe there are even subdivisions, however that's not worth discussing. Although I will say the whole "rat rod" thing with those wild hot-rod derivatives (like featured on some TV shows) have gotten out of hand. I always considered a rat/outlaw to be something built at home with little skills/equipment/money/resources/etc. And not a $100K custom like they feature.
But I love them all and appreciate hearing about all builds.
I love the low buck build it with what you have cars. I have a lot less fondness for cars built to look old and ratty. Most of the "rat rods" I see don't do it for me. There's something sad about folks who try so hard to be cool.
One of the coolest cars I've seen at a car show - '55 chevy gasser. A REAL '55 gasser just like the ones raced back in the day - because it was one that was raced back in the day. Fresh out of the barn, straight axle, no interior, van seat, cracked window, small block w/tunnel ram, fender well headers, crappy paint, real patina, etc, etc. I suppose it was a rat rod back when. IMHO it's uber cool now. Drool, drool :D

Right, I think for my dads build he only bought the tires/wheels, dry sump, fiberglass fenders, and honeycomb floor. The rest was either fiat parts he collected over the years, custom built, or parts they were going to scrap from his work.

The rest was either fiat parts he collected over the years, custom built, or parts they were going to scrap from his work.
What I like is how he makes most of his components rather than buy them. In the custom motorcycle arena it is often said, "built, not bought". And your dad is fortunate to have access to so many great materials, etc. :)

Right, I think for my dads build he only bought the tires/wheels, dry sump, fiberglass fenders, and honeycomb floor. The rest was either fiat parts he collected over the years, custom built, or parts they were going to scrap from his work.

From the time l bought the 600 and started working on it it's had 3 engines. The first was a 903, next was a 128/1300. After that came the Ecotec.
If you consider the body as one welded assembly that includes the hood and decklid hinges then the only pieces that were on the car when we got it and still remain original unmodified from day one are the door hinges.

I think my son's Lemons car belongs in this thread. He is 6'-6" tall, so our car resembles a roll cage on wheels.

We took 2nd place in Class C at the 2019 Can't Get Bayou race in New Orleans, and the Organizer's Choice trophy for bringing "The worst Fiat they had ever seen". My son bought the car for $150, and probably paid too much.
qt6lxsV.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
To post a picture from your computer, phone or tablet:

Click on the “Upload a File” button in the lower right corner of the text box

Choose where it will come from on your computer by Browsing or if you have an Apple device it gives the option of your Photo library. Choose the file to upload and it will appear at the bottom of your post as a thumbnail.​

Choose where you want to place the image by moving your cursor to the spot you want it. Decide how you want to have it displayed as either a thumbnail or full size, click the appropriate button and it will pop the image where you want it.​

Hope that helps

I'll bet whoever made that cage has no welding gas left. Love to see a side or interior view of that cage.

That is a huge cage. Is any of the targa bar still there?
I'll bet whoever made that cage has no welding gas left. Love to see a side or interior view of that cage.
As the tall son in question (see screenname), not only is there still an inch or two of targa bar left, I have video of racing, albeit quite slowly:

Not sure if the engine is down on power from where it should be. We suspect we may be missing some compression

As the tall son in question (see screenname), not only is there still an inch or two of targa bar left, I have video of racing, albeit quite slowly:

Not sure if the engine is down on power from where it should be. We suspect we may be missing some compression

You might consider dropping down a gear, the engine doesn't mind being highly reved for extended periods. 1.5l doesn't make much torque down low.

Looks like fun, well for a little while. 24 Hrs!? Damn, that's a loong time! Kadoos to y'all, getting out there and doin it!

Back