Brake fluid reservoir

beezee

True Classic
I have replaced the clutch and brake master cylinders on my '83 X but found that the brake fluid reservoir is cracked. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? There was a member offering a retrofit kit using a BMW reservoir (I think). Does anyone know the BMW year and model? Any suggestions appreciated!

Brian

I seem to recall another X-head that had a similar problem as you - a cracked fluid reservoir! I think (from an old-fart memory bank :rolleyes:) that he used 2 of the earlier 1300 X-type reservoirs linked together, to make a successful replacement for his later-type reservoir.
With any luck he may spot your post, and come up with an explanation of how to go about fabricating one of these!!

cheers, IanL - NZ

I have replaced the clutch and brake master cylinders on my '83 X but found that the brake fluid reservoir is cracked. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? There was a member offering a retrofit kit using a BMW reservoir (I think). Does anyone know the BMW year and model? Any suggestions appreciated!

Brian

Jeff Stitch is the member you want to PM.

Don't fart around with the two singles joined, it's a PITA. I got one of his BMW reservoirs & made my own bracket, moved inside & shortened hoses to fit.

AC2-DC0-E3-962-B-4-C67-BA04-273386590-F63.jpg

Brian
I think I saw the larger one on eBay or Henk’s?

IIRC either Vicks or Chis Obert had a fabricated aluminum replacement unit, but I just checked both sites and could not find it on either.

IMO Jeff's kit with the reworked BMW unit, and the Monte Hospital repro, seem to be your best options.

Thanks for the leads folks! I'll look closely at each suggestion and see what I think will work the best.

Brian

Jeff Stitch is the member you want to PM.

Don't fart around with the two singles joined, it's a PITA. I got one of his BMW reservoirs & made my own bracket, moved inside & shortened hoses to fit.

Hey now Hussein,

There is nothing wrong with two tanks. At least I hope not. :eek: This is my 85X res set up. PO did this and it has not caused any problems to date. I think the 74s had 3 tanks IIRC.
IMG_1654.JPG

I agree with Huss, I would not get a used Fiat reservoir. They tend to dry out and crack badly, so why replace a broken one with another one about to break. The used BMW ones should be o.k. though. I've had them on BMW's that were 40 years old and still looked great, with no cracks or leaks. But everything ages eventually. Leaking reservoirs happens to people too. :eek:

I will be doing the triple small "cube" reservoirs. Got them really inexpensive from the Lada source (link below). We'll see how they work out.
https://ladapower.com/catalog/niva-1700/clutch-2013-11-05/lada-niva-clutch-reservoir-bottle-detail

Hey now Hussein,

There is nothing wrong with two tanks. At least I hope not. :eek: This is my 85X res set up. PO did this and it has not caused any problems to date. I think the 74s had 3 tanks IIRC.
View attachment 21640
The early 74s came with the two brake reservoirs. Mine was late enough to get the single reservoir. There is an advantage to having two reservoirs versus the one (at least the stock single reservoir). After I installed my engine, I went to bleed the brakes. I found that the rear end was up too high to get fluid to fill the rear reservoir. The separator between the two compartments is tall enough that the car needs to be relatively flat for the fluid to flow to the rear compartment. Since I was not ready to take the car down from its lofty perch, I just jacked the front up a bit more until the fluid flowed.

I agree with Huss, I would not get a used Fiat reservoir. They tend to dry out and crack badly, so why replace a broken one with another one about to break. The used BMW ones should be o.k. though. I've had them on BMW's that were 40 years old and still looked great, with no cracks or leaks. But everything ages eventually. Leaking reservoirs happens to people too. :eek:

I will be doing the triple small "cube" reservoirs. Got them really inexpensive from the Lada source (link below). We'll see how they work out.
https://ladapower.com/catalog/niva-1700/clutch-2013-11-05/lada-niva-clutch-reservoir-bottle-detail

Since it would appear that the BMW and FIAT ones are made by the same company based on the similarity of the design, it's likely the placement of the reservoir has a lot to do with the longevity. The X reservoir is subject to UV light while the BMW is under the hood and is almost never exposed to light, and as we know '70s and '80s plastics does not hold up to UV light all that well.

Since it would appear that the BMW and FIAT ones are made by the same company based on the similarity of the design
Actually most of the BMW reservoirs from around the 70's and 80's were made by "ATE", which I believe is not the same maker as Fiat used. But excellent point, the UV exposure certainly would make a difference.

Brand new on eBay uk
Interesting design feature; the outlet nipples are not a part of the reservoir molding, but separate items that can be rotated to the desired direction. I assume they have rubber seals to allow the rotation. This is one of the first "new" dual reservoirs I've seen in awhile that will fit the X1/9.

Back