Scorpion # 253 project

My thoughts on a semi-gloss or satin black engine bay were inspired by period Ferraris, but you can never go wrong with body color. Black would probably make working in the engine bay slightly difficult at times, but I feel like such a color would also prevent having to pull the engine if I decided to change exterior color again. After all, the trunk is virtually covered in black carpet, so there's some symmetry.

My thoughts exactly. I even paint the inside half of the doors black so I don’t see body color inside around the door perimeter.

My thoughts on a semi-gloss or satin black engine bay were inspired by period Ferraris, but you can never go wrong with body color. Black would probably make working in the engine bay slightly difficult at times, but I feel like such a color would also prevent having to pull the engine if I decided to change exterior color again. After all, the trunk is virtually covered in black carpet, so there's some symmetry.

Beek, hope I'm not getting too far off topic here.
When it comes to engine bays (and trunks for that matter), I've always considered them a "functional" area more than a "show" area. By that I mean they serve the purpose of housing the mechanical bits; an area for the vehicle's working parts, with all of their related fluids, lubes, electrical, lines, hoses, containers, hardware, etc. And they are covered/enclosed, not constantly open or exposed for regular display. Therefore I like them to be tidy, but not 'custom'. While I admire the show vehicles that hide everything in the engine bay to make them disappear, it does not make sense to me to do that on a street vehicle that is driven....even a nice one. So I'm with you guys, painting the inside of the bay (and trunk, etc) black, or even giving it a light coat of bed liner or another similar 'functional' finish, is perfectly fine to me. I prefer that to a color matched finish that shows every bit of dirt, oil, grease, road filth, blemish, etc. Same for the engine/trans and accessories; a bland color, natural metal finish, or similar is preferred to a lot of bright colors and chrome.

Last edited:
Here's the engine bay of a red Fiat Dino to illustrate the point.
e4.jpg

I should add, for engine bay or trunk colors, when I say a "black" finish I'm really saying any finish along that general idea. It could also be a grey, or a textured coat, or any similar finish.

And jumping way back to some earlier posts about finishes. For the aluminum stuff that you were debating about powder coating vs anodizing. How about give it whatever treatment you prefer - polished, brushed, bead blasted, etc - then clear powder coat it to keep it that way?

Spring break this week, Been on a cruise... :) I am now the head football coach. So there goes more time.... But as soon as I get back next week we will continue certifications, Up to 100 now! The scorpion is on the lift as well as a couple of other projects. Trying to get things finished before the year ends. My goal is to have the scorpion interior painted, under hood painted and the frunk painted. I am collecting funds and parts for the instrument panel.

Spring break this week, Been on a cruise... :) I am now the head football coach. So there goes more time.... But as soon as I get back next week we will continue certifications, Up to 100 now! The scorpion is on the lift as well as a couple of other projects. Trying to get things finished before the year ends. My goal is to have the scorpion interior painted, under hood painted and the frunk painted. I am collecting funds and parts for the instrument panel.

Must be getting closer to retirement as for many teachers retirement income hinges on the two highest consecutive years of income, adding coaching presumably will increase income and count towards that number.

Good luck with Americas pass time.

Must be getting closer to retirement as for many teachers retirement income hinges on the two highest consecutive years of income, adding coaching presumably will increase income and count towards that number.

Good luck with Americas pass time.
lol retire, whats that?

Actually I have been an assistant football coach for the last 4 years as well as the JV head coach for football, and the head wrestling coach and head jv baseball coach. Truly I am no where near my second retirement. One of the biggest reasons i got into teaching was to coach. I really enjoy that a lot. we figured out the coaching stipends equal about .04 / hour lol

Teaching has been a real eye opener for me. Good and bad. Today's kids wow!!!! thats all i can say. I never thought I could qualify as a teacher so I never perused that as a career. I did quite well with my businesses though. Thats the reason I "retired" and moved to florida. Then I got into coaching, with my son. Then one thing led to another. On a side note he is also a fiat enthusiast and just got a partial scholarship to play football at Central Methodist University.

a few pictures of late. Removed the original engine form the scorpion. Getting ready for paint. Also pulled most everything including the wiring harness, dash, heater etc. also a few pictures of the shop. Looks like a fiat dealership. lol

IMG_7032.JPG
IMG_7033.JPG
IMG_7208.JPG
IMG_7211.JPG
IMG_7207.JPG
IMG_7212.JPG
IMG_7214.JPG

took that nasty transaxle and disassemble
IMG_7234.JPG
IMG_7237.JPG
IMG_7235.JPG
IMG_7239.JPG
it. cleaned it up and began fitting a gear oil pump. This will pump the gear oil through a cooler.

Smart work there, impressive. It’ll go well with your horsepower/torque goals. This car really is the zenith of all that you’ve learned.

did ya have to re-thread the trans to make it play well with SAE/JIC fittings?

The shop really does look like a Fiat dealership (full service bays). Glad you’re taking full advantage of what’s there, me & my jack stands & ramps are envious!

Smart work there, impressive. It’ll go well with your horsepower/torque goals. This car really is the zenith of all that you’ve learned.

did ya have to re-thread the trans to make it play well with SAE/JIC fittings?

The shop really does look like a Fiat dealership (full service bays). Glad you’re taking full advantage of what’s there, me & my jack stands & ramps are envious!
metric fittings on the transmission side. but there is still more to come. I am unsure of the ability in getting a drive pulley made, so I may go to an electric pump.

do i have understood well that you fit a oil pump\radiator cooler for the gearbox oil?
yes, my intentions are to circulate the gear oil through a cooler and a fan. I will use a screen strainer filter to remove any metal chips and syncro dust from the oil. I will either use a cv flange driven pump or an electric pump depending on my ability for someone to manufacture me a pulley. There will be some additional pictures once I finish deciding on how and where I intend to reenter the oil into the gear box.

IMG_7257.JPG
IMG_7260.JPG
IMG_7258.JPG
IMG_7261.JPG

what is the benefit with this setup? i figure it also means a couple of hp loss, dont?
I have read many articles about cooling manual transmissions especially in race cars. Some manufacturers cool them eg. Porsche I dont think that there is an issue with the beta gear box but I do want to increase longevity and keeping the oil temp at 160 degrees seem optimal from what i have learned. If i use electric pump then the hp drain would be negligible (alternator)

My true intentions with this car are yet to be decided. I have another scorpion which is perfectly rust free. I will restore that one back to mostly original. This one is still up in the air as to my ultimate goal. I may autocross this one with street driving occasionally or may go full race inspired street driven.

What exactly do you need in the way of a pulley?

Pete
what im looking for is a pulley that would mount to the cv joint bolts. i drew a picture but left it at school. there are clearance issues for the transmission case and the belt. i just drew quick summation. The biggest issue is the bet groove must allow the belt be 100% in the groove and still be enough material to let the cv bolts tighten. i would assume it to be made of steel
IMG_7410.JPG

what im looking for is a pulley that would mount to the cv joint bolts. i drew a picture but left it at school. there are clearance issues for the transmission case and the belt. i just drew quick summation. The biggest issue is the bet groove must allow the belt be 100% in the groove and still be enough material to let the cv bolts tighten. i would assume it to be made of steelView attachment 22477

Interesting... so this would mount on the transmission side of the drive flange I assume? And would take the place of the 6 CV joint bolts nuts?

If so it doesn't look like a lot of thread engagement. Why not make the pulley slightly larger so the threads don't foul the belt area? Drive ratio issues?

Interesting... so this would mount on the transmission side of the drive flange I assume? And would take the place of the 6 CV joint bolts nuts?

If so it doesn't look like a lot of thread engagement. Why not make the pulley slightly larger so the threads don't foul the belt area? Drive ratio issues?

Back