Another big brake thread

Pretty impressive set up.
He does not offer much detail about the components used. But between the fronts and rears that is a HUGE amount of piston area to be moved. A much larger master cylinder will be needed. I'm guessing those rotors were from the same sources as the calipers? The front rotors look like Porsche; the machine work to redrill the mounting holes might be a tad questionable for a safe mounting? The rear rotors are massive. I wonder what the total weight is for the whole set up?
As far as I know the 124 caliper mounts are completely different from the X1/9. Could any of this translate to the X? With the calipers themselves being the same it might be possible. I seem to recall someone (Huss?) tried Porsche calipers on a X before?
I love the innovation though.

Looks nice but think a little oversized brakes specially if are only for show-car or street use, and like Jeff said a lot other things will be needed to update that this setup working perfect, just my oppinion.

Xs and 124s use the same calipers but the mounting brackets are slightly different, having to do with the bracket to hub mounting bolt spacing.

How about a Fiat with a 800 HP Chevy LS V-8 engine swap. Then you would need this size of brakes. :D
Yeah then go ahead :)
Today are not any more very expensive kits from Wilwood and thera are many types of calipers availabe to get finest brake balance.

thera are many types of calipers availabe to get finest brake balance.
Andreav, has anyone over there come up with a nice, affordable brake upgrade that will work on the X1/9? Maybe using the brakes from another model Fiat or other vehicle all together? We have discussed some possible options that we know of over here, but maybe you have better ideas from options over there? Interested to to hear what is being done elsewhere, thanks.

There are many combinations, but all depends of wheels size used, exist combination 240mm solid disc, 257mm solid and vented and biggest ones are 284 think from various Fiat and Lancia models from 90s. Think all have same bolting space as standard 227 brakes, I m sure in 240 and 257, for 284 need to check.
Common upgrade are here Uno turbo brakes if you can find them, today is very hard.... and disc brakes on back this combination works very well on streets and on racing use.

There are many combinations
Thanks Andreav. Please tell me more about the 257mm vented options. Is this only for the rotor upgrade, or also with improved calipers? What specific models do they come from?

The Uno Turbo brakes are impossible to find here any more. So it would be helpful to learn of other models that have good brake upgrades we can use on the X1/9. Especially if some can be found easily and not overly priced to get.

They been in complete with same style calipers like Uno Turbo but bigger, think 54mm size piston.
About model fast from head can say that Punto GT, Alfa Romeo 145/6, Lancia Delta mk1/2 had them and many more models, will try to made research and made list here.
But 257mm disc goes under 14 wheels, just samall number of 13 wheels will accept, can be used with 13 wheels but think spacer of 20 mm or so is needed.

will try to made research and made list here
Thanks Andreav. I would greatly appreciate if you can find some specific models and years that had them. Because we never had any of those models here, I do not know about them and would not have known about their brakes.
The wheel size is no issue, more important to find the brake components. I could even use some with the 284mm rotors you mentioned, but may not need to go that big for the X1/9.

Okay, will made this days list of cars what use 257mm rotors.
284mm if I remember good diameter are for 15 wheels think.

As far as I know the 124 caliper mounts are completely different from the X1/9. Could any of this translate to the X? With the calipers themselves being the same it might be possible. I seem to recall someone (Huss?) tried Porsche calipers on a X before?
I love the innovation though.

I made Porsche (Brembo) calipers fit my old Volvo. They were radial mount, so easier to make offset/angle brackets IMO. I only did it because of the substantial increase in power output, I wouldn't put that effort into a chassis that doesn't have the need or power to support the extra rotating mass.

I made Porsche (Brembo) calipers fit my old Volvo. They were radial mount, so easier to make offset/angle brackets IMO. I only did it because of the substantial increase in power output, I wouldn't put that effort into a chassis that doesn't have the need or power to support the extra rotating mass.
I believe IPD was selling brackets to mount Porsche front brakes to 850s and other models.

The guy installed a WRX MC as currently discussed in the thread.
I was wondering how he planned to motivate all of that piston swept area on the new calipers. But being a 124, the master cylinder has no relation to the ones on the X1/9, correct? I mean, aside from having a power booster they are also a completely different configuration for mounting? So a WRX master could not be fitted the same way on a X.

True, and if you are really motivated, you move the MC to the front trunk and then the world is your oyster as far as MCs. I just brought it up as the question was raised about a proper MC and the guy had just posted about the WRX MC.

Recently there was a picture of someones X that had the master moved forward into the frunk so a booster could be added. Then a reservoir directly on top of the master could also be used. Sure would make servicing easier.

Hi,
Over the weekend I got together some brake upgrade components that you may find interesting.

Front first.

Left to right
Standard 227mm disc with 48mm caliper, uno turbo 240mm vented disc and 48mm caliper, Punto GT 257mm vented disc and 54mm caliper.

20190519_164619.jpg

These are all bolt on 100mm between fixing bolts however the Punto caliper will need approx 5-6mm spacer between the carrier and the hub.
20190519_170519.jpg

The Punto Gt calipers can also be found on Alfa 155, 147, 156 I think.

Rear next,

On the left a standard 227 disc and fiat 132 38mm caliper, on the right an Alfa 146 solid 257 mm disc and Alfa 164 38mm rear caliper.
The Alfa caliper has 90mm bolt spacing and so needs an adapter to be made to match the 100mm hub fitting. This is 8mm thick.
The calipers are available with 34,36 and 38mm pistons.
20190519_165357.jpg

The Alfa 164 is a leading caliper so the hand brake mechanism is around the correct way for the x1/9.

I am working on this setup for the rear of my car. It's not complete yet but it's look good at the moment.

The 257mm discs will require minimum 14" wheels.

BTW the largest standard discs available with 4x98 bolt spacing is 305mm diameter from a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo. These also came with Brembo calipers. These will require 16" wheels.

Cheers
Andy

Back