WTB - late model Vegliaflash clock

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Preferably not working, I just need it for the case and I don't want to tear apart a good working clock that someone else can use. Let me know what you have. Thanks!

Pete

Pete, I might have a broken one. I'll have to check for sure. But if I do you can have it. Please remind me if I don't get back in a day (I must be getting old, can't remember anything).

Hey Pete, I dug out what I have today. The one that I thought was dead still works. But I don't think I will need it if it helps you. We can communicate by PM or email for the details.
039.JPG

I realized something new (to me anyway) today while checking the status of my two Veglia clocks. Apparently there is more than one version of them.
One of mine is a 12 hour format (I could not find a way to switch it to 24 hour), and it only reads time (in hours and minutes). The blinking light between the hour and minute readout flashes every other second (no idea why).
The other clock is a 24 hour format (again, I could not find a way to change that), and it has a "timer" function (stopwatch) as well as time, plus the flashing light blinks every second.
I never realized the differences before because the newer clock (second description) is in a rather newly acquired X that hasn't been made road worthy yet - so no use of the clock by me yet.

I knew there was a 24 hour version that did stopwatch functionality too, but I have never seen one. They are far rarer, as I understand it. I don't want to tear one of those up. I don't feel so bad about taking one of the ordinary 12-hour ones apart though.

Talk to you in PM, thanks.

I'm curious, does anyone happen to know if there is a way to select 12 hour vs 24 hour function on the later "24 hour/stopwatch" version (or the early 12 hour version for that matter)? The programming (if that is the right term) of it for selecting between stopwatch or clock, and for setting the time or resetting the stopwatch, isn't very intuitive (at least not to me). It has the same two buttons on the front but they work completely different than on the earlier 12 hour version. I did not see any other controls on it.

Another observation I made while testing these two clocks on the bench is they get a bit hot (warm) when running. Never noticed that when they are in the dash, but for a simple digital clock it seems a bit odd to me that they generate any heat at all. I suppose it has a very old architecture inside.

Hey Pete, I may have a dead one, The one in Mac's black X doesn't work I just need to check my stash and see if I have a working one to replace it with.

If either of you want the working one I have, it is available. What I mean is, either Pete can cut it up or Brian can use it and send his dead one to Pete. Whatever works for everyone. Hope that made sense.

I couldn't find any in my stash, I can only get to about half of it now without rearranging everything, I know there are a couple in there somewhere, I just found 2 new clutches I didn't know I had. LOL

Jeff's Idea would work for me if you want to go that way.

I'm curious, does anyone happen to know if there is a way to select 12 hour vs 24 hour function...

Mine was in 24 hour format when I got the car. I changed it to 12 hour by inserting a jumper per some instruction from Bob Brown. I don't have the instruction handy, but you can probably find it with a search. (I tried a quick search and came up empty, but you're probably better at that than I am...)

Hey Pete, I dug out what I have today. The one that I thought was dead still works. But I don't think I will need it if it helps you. We can communicate by PM or email for the details.
View attachment 22056

I realized something new (to me anyway) today while checking the status of my two Veglia clocks. Apparently there is more than one version of them.
One of mine is a 12 hour format (I could not find a way to switch it to 24 hour), and it only reads time (in hours and minutes). The blinking light between the hour and minute readout flashes every other second (no idea why).
The other clock is a 24 hour format (again, I could not find a way to change that), and it has a "timer" function (stopwatch) as well as time, plus the flashing light blinks every second.
I never realized the differences before because the newer clock (second description) is in a rather newly acquired X that hasn't been made road worthy yet - so no use of the clock by me yet.

Here is the info post previously showing different versions and functions including the modification from 24-12 hour function.

https://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/b/b3/Veglia_flash_clock.pdf

Here is the info post previously showing different versions and functions including the modification from 24-12 hour function.

https://xwebforums.com/wiki/images/b/b3/Veglia_flash_clock.pdf
Thanks, Brad.
Yes, that's the instruction I was referring to. Connecting two pins of the chip changed it from 24hr format to 12hr. I suppose that could be a switch, but that didn't seem necessary to me. Using a jumper to permanently change to 12hr format was all that was needed.

Yes, that is a good reference - thanks again.

Considering the circuit already has both capabilities (12 & 24 hr), and a simple jumper is all that's needed to change the setting, it seems it would have been very easy to include that as part of the user settings from the face controls.

Back