Fred Cantin

Daily Driver
Hi all,

A few words to let you know that Wesco offers seatbelts that fit really well on our Xs. My car's original ones were sun-faded, the plastic parts covering the buckles were cracked and the reeling mechanisms weren't functionning properly anymore.

The new ones do not have electrical wiring (no more buzzer) but you can order them in the color of your choice (mine are brown).

I'm not affiliated or any way associated with Wesco, I just wanted to let you know that they offer a nice replacement product for our cars :).

LqFrXwRr9ZjHtDOIC-uyjAQ8biO5iPLlrnKCWp2ZyXm-LKYStl31V40AY3AGU14i1WQO0Ko4g4EcUaEHAL68Eivtls7aDhPC54TzFsKtCMAaWLRKvacnaZ1vU0ry4NklECL9QJVfORmxGs5eDOxf80d9yCXNFQsjldZgFqlEjiHgChTEXSeNh6Rv1RF9I8w-q_w2GIRdzS4kyd4auULTyO0EIA-lVq7fQHHXTB4FJtBWa6m1RFvABxAWkdj90ZSl_mieT6Fc9R8qkHy4nKvGnsRBhV90YbQRIujTYdcNBhwDMtllXw8vM3M7SFLPQCFPjTVVG17gYRmHCDC9qAZpxeXe_jQQIpQ-VoLyWW1GZARzlacjb7iqaa6pn09Gy2ToTSoej7ElHVmEAJzjN_OMG4dhnlLNZ5QL8Yk0y_R--BwcR-AohXGa-GUvwl6frKLrUzU0-nDX8Of0LAIrvGKYuo-tW4BRkTqcA0TdczTxn-9Mdylv3WCOSLp4-6zziBEbhsctZQN_rWIMIWqD6cR1qnlo6l6-Qu2Kb633qn77aMeXAOYkKvCyKtVRqpJS2f74jDCKwEqCvz3a_TUb6I0Ft7HyPNKwb2rKzQeJMifxl-P3FWIfJgRqpRG99othkAhYWEeqlCRAUAJwstOADH3JzIBPNH2xtMo=w1270-h953-no

hSdPPFTyv5ho-uleA9UVEaJ4RMsTV6OqKqldDHlFMzKl78HLIR9jUSkyRUpu_O3hOqj_GsgYMoZhTMgEAFx2gE7nfuRqD49I7EUHQKSBlGlHvcWhHRZBSKsZ3Ch3dz0DIAXCa4pPG9yjZwTcg5wHziTKMAqbwDhUF92gDz1MptNMmXs24PapAHGptPPMqsVf66w5FFNtL73cRxDR_jtDDkWgkAuxBmhy8hvvrCgYztTS0cW7KHzIU5bip4iof_1m4opgMmT6dafI3NRT7TM_FKOTQTb60Nl29xBCqIyt_dSNQHVXEOivjgjq8dmiDGZlcdh-KGBfr1ZHfPC5v5TugQd11Bm4rKivJ8ghN_utIb1DPlE7qtEaRYmzjfoBFDzTf7fUs723mSGyOV1POpIVPF4Ph3yeutmeNP_-gLqIVbfm4EsEt9_aDtV2UydogxjtOW5LkCxsxjMgYm5iv-rtSCCvlU_D5Vcrba8NbPmFqO-a7wn-uFqICRW6MtvXpaa7a8wdC9UoFB1r1vZm-v1SvY4FYd0OyJevDovfQosrKf0NZfDwPiot6AMC40Y1bn_hntT8VyfxVt129wcQBmxrkkWS61ATVtPK1f6KASzJ3vopaj8CS5d-9ZZOPCw6kHw5jIINRfMXMBkZRlP4r_KN77HwcbhSODM=w715-h953-no

ydMOss8T1DZwxwsgvolHvB78E4Wf40URIKiZUGTPGNkT1Sgcpt7BmwFux6OQALmwNHx4V0RCj53PRhB7BvcHa_s3aOytHWPZnct_-w6sxn9tzdj8AuZYviwTd8J2QXCvY6-xZDhrw5ykqb_ZCfKRak47013sYW0hyrc2arJbMUAZDPnQ4i1bFBHdIDgoWlxTX1J6ZSvzUxqMbxu48gi83ZARpXkzZUrZc_FTOs56mwexyUI551ok5ZEoPLi8MRiiq9hNRubrWefA1BYPjh9J0_8uQG0895rCv96_-Ec_-fotib8WGpWfeJvDfO_M88X7V4uf26tc89KseqiNwuM-AcSbn8OP-M7COS605nLX_9rIcZ7cjNxtWHp5-ENadtwmGrqpxncXSaKRNT8Iv4F-NaVdCUmVPMaPimvvL1HMpOQIAksGxZro1fBCXaHrAOsknjAMagFOLZekGUIESkrOmp-kib1ER4F9vOt0PkeL70Rr0aUJuCmrqrT6Glyu6HiEA91qyLVtBsDJhP3peDARJMByzok495jdspOg4yHTA_62zXe27XFcDyxtXK5ttjRiOSVbM657i3asN3bkV1dZC9F2BrSse--vVpiOSClvsqhcEuaDWd3XLRaEpUpppBeW4_pNwF3e3ZO_7NY4sjv8OxyXol-7ZjM=w715-h953-no

Hi all,

A few words to let you know that Wesco offers seatbelts that fit really well on our Xs. My car's original ones were sun-faded, the plastic parts covering the buckles were cracked and the reeling mechanisms weren't functionning properly anymore.

The new ones do not have electrical wiring (no more buzzer) but you can order them in the color of your choice (mine are brown).

I'm not affiliated or any way associated with Wesco, I just wanted to let you know that they offer a nice replacement product for our cars :).
Thanks for the information. One of my planned projects in the near future is to replace the factory lap belts with shoulder harnesses. The story goes that in 1974 there was some loophole in the US shoulder harness law exempted convertibles under a certain displacement. Fiat took advantage and saved a couple of bucks. At least they included upper mount point (covered with a plug).

How do you like the new belts from an operational and comfort point of view? Does it use the factory mounting bolts?

Thanks for the information. One of my planned projects in the near future is to replace the factory lap belts with shoulder harnesses. The story goes that in 1974 there was some loophole in the US shoulder harness law exempted convertibles under a certain displacement. Fiat took advantage and saved a couple of bucks. At least they included upper mount point (covered with a plug).

How do you like the new belts from an operational and comfort point of view? Does it use the factory mounting bolts?

Comfort is about the same, but the reeling mechanism works better. Yes, they do use the factory mounting bolts.

Sorry to answer an old thread - did you say there was a built-in mounting point in a 1974 X for shoulder harnesses?

Euro X1/9s had three point belts from the start.
They were static belts though, no retractor. There was a little hook next to the seat to hang them up.

They were static belts though, no retractor. There was a little hook next to the seat to hang them up.
I remember that style on some other old cars. A real nuccense to use. Often they got damaged and very tired looking from being shut in the door or dragging on the ground while driving.

Euro X1/9s had three point belts from the start.
Do you think a retractable system could be installed in a '74 U.S. version? I do see plugs in the headline liner, but haven't tried to take them out to see what they are covering. The anchoring of the retraction system is on the floor I believe?

The retractor on the driver side is a robust bracket attached to the gas tank firewall. The passenger side is attached to a robust bracket attached to the floor. The retractors are oriented vertically. My 83 interior is gutted, I can take picks if you want.

The retractor on the driver side is a robust bracket attached to the gas tank firewall. The passenger side is attached to a robust bracket attached to the floor. The retractors are oriented vertically. My 83 interior is gutted, I can take picks if you want.
Sure, thanks. It’s likely the location is similar...

No.
Early cars had the left bottom mount on the inner rocker, like most cars, not on the rear wall. No room for a retractor on the side. That‘s why a 3-point static belt is a good choice.

IMG_1988.jpg

These are two photos of the passenger side reel support. Hard to see as the sun was just in the wrong spot. You can see my Scroft reel bolted to it. The bracket is welded to the side of the sill and the floor.
IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

These bottom two photos show the driver side reel bracket (which I'm not using). Welded to the rear panel.

I had to go out and look to be sure. The '79, '85, and '86 are just like @carl showed. Is it a 1300 vs 1500 change, or '74 and earlier?

The lap belt retractors on my 74 are bolted to the inside of the sills. The buckle side is mounted to the tunnel. There is a covered threaded hole on the vertical portion of the targa for installing a 3 point harness which was not legally required at that time in the US.

The lap belt retractors on my 74 are bolted to the inside of the sills. The buckle side is mounted to the tunnel. There is a covered threaded hole on the vertical portion of the targa for installing a 3 point harness which was not legally required at that time in the US.
Is that covered, threaded hole sitting just below shoulder height, near the base of the B pillar? That’s where the plugs are on mine. Have you taken the plug out? Part of me thinks it’s just there holding in the headliner.

9B5FFBB3-B709-4BE6-91A8-E50F772BC97F.jpeg

Last edited:
I suppose you could ask if anyone has trashed later model body that they could cut out the mounting pads so you could weld them into your car. A buddy of mine was doing that with 124 spiders to add reel type shoulder belts into early spiders.

Back