Rusted Out 1970 850 Spider Fix-Up

I forgot about the battery box hole! Probably willful self-delusion. Let us build a battery box!

The pit of despair.
IMG_0707.JPG

10.5 by 7.5 inches. I will go up 4 inches on the side so that there is un-rusted metal for me to weld to. Here is what I cut out. I then proceeded to the bending tool. It is coming in handy.
IMG_0708.JPG

After bending, a test fit. Not bad!
IMG_0710.JPG

All welded up and drilled for installation. The bent piece goes in the back.
IMG_0711.JPG

Success! I will repaint everything later...just trying to keep it from rusting. All told, about two hours work, and I think it will work just fine.
IMG_0712.JPG

Now what to do about this? I could probably patch up the front and make it useable, but I don't think I could get rid of all of the little rust holes. Maybe I don't. If someone raises it, then they will see it is genuine fiat! What do y'all think?
IMG_0713.JPG

You might consider a few drain holes and dimpling around them in the battery box. Water gets in there by relative intent due to the way the rest of the area is designed. Also go up underneath to put seam sealer around the bottom edges of the old metal where it meets the new metal.

I would buy a better hood.

You might consider a few drain holes and dimpling around them in the battery box. Water gets in there by relative intent due to the way the rest of the area is designed. Also go up underneath to put seam sealer around the bottom edges of the old metal where it meets the new metal.

I would buy a better hood.
Good idea. I will get some holes drilled later today.

Well, I think I have to throw in the towel on the hood. I did some cutting on it today, and there is just nothing left to work with. Bummer.

On the positive side, I did get the accelerator cable lubricated and moving today. First step towards getting it to start!

IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG

Ordered up a hood from eBay today. 200 bucks with free shipping. Even though I will have to do a little work on it, that seemed like a pretty good deal.

I decided to start going around the car and knocking out some of the bodywork rust. I need to go buy a can of body filler as well. I patched up a hole I had cut in the drivers quarter some time ago, and decided to get going on the door.

IMG_0735.JPG

Here is what it looks like after the hole was cut. Since it gave me access to one of the window rollers, I decided to see if I could make the window work. Amazing, especially since one of the cables rusted in half, I was able to work these wheels loose and put the window up and down! Happy day!
IMG_0736.JPG

Here is the full picture of the holes I cut and the window down! It seems so sporty!
IMG_0739.JPG

Now I need to read up on replacing these cables and to start looking into pulling the steering column. And bodywork of course! And tending to this blister I got today.

Oh the dreaded cables....I have fought those. I did finally get the window to work as intended.
If you need the routing diagrams I can try to find them, there are some incorrect ones floating around the internet.

Oh the dreaded cables....I have fought those. I did finally get the window to work as intended.
If you need the routing diagrams I can try to find them, there are some incorrect ones floating around the internet.
I am staring at a diagram now...I will ping you if I cannot figure it out based on this. Thanks!

Ugh. Three hours spent working on that freaking window cable today. Sometimes I am dense. Finally got it all figured out, put the window down once or twice and the end of the cable popped out of the crank. #^{%}£#!!!

Oh well, wrap it up tomorrow. Should be easier now.

On a 124 with electric windows I decided to just replace the cable since the motor was fine and I didn’t want to spend the ridiculous money they are asking for the whole unit. Bought the cable at Ace.
Took me 17 times to get it right. Talk about a lesson in building patience....

On a 124 with electric windows I decided to just replace the cable since the motor was fine and I didn’t want to spend the ridiculous money they are asking for the whole unit. Bought the cable at Ace.
Took me 17 times to get it right. Talk about a lesson in building patience....
Yup, that sounds about right! Gonna try again tonight.

Window cables? WINDOW CABLES!?!?!?!?! Come on Daniel, I don't think you need no stinkin' window cables just to be able to drive it once!! Talk about "scope creep". :cool::p:D;)

Impressive work so far. :)

Hahah! I seriously considered taking them out and making it a roadster, or attaching straps to the bottom and pull them up the 1920/ way. But this is an Italian puzzle for me, and complete it I must!

Speaking of which, the drivers window now goes up and down. Since I cannot upload a movie, you will have to supply the soundtrack of squeaks and creaks yourself. It is almost as if the Italians designed this to fail.

Up
IMG_0745.JPG

Down
IMG_0746.JPG

Taadaa! Now back to bodywork. And Jim, thank you for the compliment.

Back