New X19 Owner

Nathan Binsky

The Amateur
Hi, I'm Nathan and I just bought an X19. Everything was going well since I bought it until today when I was casually driving it and it did not like to be in gear. It would sputter out if it remained in gear. I think it has to do with my fuel system or maybe a transmission leak?

Any help is appreciated.

Not yet, it was replaced back in 2013 by the PO and he didn't drive it all that much. But that will be my first thing to check. Hopefully thats the case.

Welcome Nathan,

Sorry you are having problems. A transmission leak shouldn't make the engine sputter, so your fuel system guess is a good place to start. So to clarify: in gear it sputters, push in the clutch and it runs normal?

What is the maintenance status on this car? Todd mentioned the filter, which isn't too hard to change. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil and oil filter? If the status of these items is unknown, you should start working your way thru the list as time and money permits.

I think we met at the MWB open house a couple weeks back. Is this the silver X that someone had a for sale sign on?

If it's carbureted, those types of symptoms can be caused by crud settling in the carb bowls and getting in the jets, partially clogging them. So the car won't run well, but it will idle since the idle circuit in a carb is separate from the main circuit. You might have to take the carb apart and clean it thoroughly. Of course, it would be a very good idea to install a new fuel filter as close to the carb as possible, to stop new junk from getting in there.

Congrats on your purchase! Once you get these cars a little sorted out, they are a blast, and fairly reliable in general.

Pete

If my guess is correct, Nathan's X is the silver car at the center of this picture. Looks like a "Bertone" nose badge, but I didn't look closely at the car that day. It had a "For Sale" note on it and I don't need another X... yet. :)
Nathans X19.jpg

Not yet, it was replaced back in 2013 by the PO and he didn't drive it all that much. But that will be my first thing to check. Hopefully thats the case.

Welcome Nathan. Congrats on buying a fun pastime.

It would help is you were to fill out your byline with the year of your car at least. It is easier for us to assist you when we know what you have.

Fuel system is a possible culprit. At what RPM is it showing this problem? Does it do this out of gear when you rev it up? Is it only in a particular gear? Starting off only? Or going down the road in all gears?

Are there any other things you may have notices? Is the amp meter gauge showing in the middle or at the very bottom or at the very top? Does this happen only when the car is cold or also when it is warmed up?

Lucky for you that you live near where Matt is so if we can’t assist you from long distance they can certainly assist you at MWB.

Congrats on your new/old car...and my condolences as well. Welcome to the illness. Midwest Bayless is a great place to buy parts and i'm sure you will very likely become a valued costomer. As for your listed problem, you truly do need to toss out more info. Give us a heads up on the car's specs, and you will likely get more feedback than you will believe.

Hi all, I have not been active on here clearly. I just put 89 grade gas in the system and she has stopped crying thankfully. I have another fuel filter just in case for future use. But yes, I did buy the '83 silver x19. I have done a little bit to it to make it start and run somewhat smoothly. Now all I have to do is replace my upper strut mounts and will be doing a full paint job at a much later date. It is so much damn fun to drive this car. Sorry for the late reply.

Pete, I would replace the carbs if I had any haha.

Next time I do post a thread or anything, I will be sure to add more info and to be active so I can reply accordingly.

Pete, I would replace the carbs if I had any haha.

Next time I do post a thread or anything, I will be sure to add more info and to be active so I can reply accordingly.
Nathan,

You can create a signature and include your cars specs. Then it will be in every post you make.

Back