steering bearing fitting

ghostdancing

True Classic
i have to mount these on my 128 coupe: is it a simple job? never was in a car strut working: can you lead me step by step?
steering bearing.JPG

This is a pretty straightforward task on an X, so probably not that big of a deal on a 128. BUT, to do the job safely you WILL NEED a spring compressor suitable for MacPherson struts. And IMHO, to do the job with minimal agita, it would be best to have an air or electric impact gun to loosen and tighten the strut operating rod nut because it's almost impossible to keep the rod from turning if using a hand powered wrench or socket set.

thank you Dan.. well i have got an air impact gun..can i remove the whole uncompressed strut and have the spring removed at the mechanic shop?

Just don't remove the large nut at the top without the spring being fully compressed (off the seat) first. Otherwise yes, you can remove the entire assembled strut as a unit and take it to a shop. However spring compressors can be purchased inexpensively (here at least), so you would be able to do future jobs like this for about the same cost as having a shop do it once.

Disassembly is easy, it's the reassembly you need a compressor for (unless you're changing to sport springs).
I put my foot on mine to hold it down.

I've used pipe clamps with safety wire in a pinch. Years ago, I bought a Harbor Freight spring compressor for well under $20. Works just fine.

I don't think there are Autozone's in Italy (where the original poster lives).

Regarding the "let it fly" method of disassembly (as demonstrated in the video). Not only is it unsafe, it could damage the threads on the shaft...even if you put your foot on it.

That video seems to put some rather delicate anatomy in a precarious position.

I don't think I could place myself in that position with a loaded spring aiming there!

In other words, it could damage the threads on the strut's shaft, and your shaft at the same time.

Disassembly is easy, it's the reassembly you need a compressor for (unless you're changing to sport springs).
I put my foot on mine to hold it down.

If I were going to do this task without a spring compressor, I think I would rather do it with the strut still mounted to the car, and control spring compression with a floor jack positioned under a suitable spot on the suspension.

actually i do have an home made spring compressor, i made it some years ago for disassembling motorbikes shocks (it's based on a car lifter jack and a couple of threaded bars..probably is too small for the car's shocks..anyway a saw cheap basic spring compressors are available.

That video seems to put some rather delicate anatomy in a precarious position.

I don't think I could place myself in that position with a loaded spring aiming there!

I couldn't find the video I originally saw for this to post here, where the operator did stand to the side (foot on coil) and reach to the end to operate the impact wrench. The strut assembly in this video seems large, probably for a van or some such, and springs apart with much more energy than my X struts did.

I installed new struts with Vick's sport springs and didn't need to use my spring compressor or worry about buggering the threads on the shaft, though the assembly popped apart so quickly they were unaffected.

If you are going to disassemble a strut with out a compressor, at least tie a stout rope around the coils to control the energy release.
I've done this many times on 124 front coils, or you can use 1/8" steel cable and clamps to hold the springs compressed if re-assembly is in the plan.

the few times I have done this. I removed the nut before doing anything else, letting the car weight compress the spring. I was also mindful that the nut was not holding any pressure before it ran out of threads. So far it has worked well with no stress on anything

Back