Ceramic "Wax"

WildWilly

True Classic
So I bought this on the weekend to try on my new to me BMW. What a pile of crap! Don't waste your money, absolute garbage. Had to wash the car again and then wax it with my usual stuff to get rid of the smearing and oily film. Also, it took almost ½ a bottle for one "treatment", I just threw the other ½ in the garbage can.

IMG_2829.JPG

So I bought this on the weekend to try on my new to me BMW. What a pile of crap! Don't waste your money, absolute garbage. Had to wash the car again and then wax it with my usual stuff to get rid of the smearing and oily film. Also, it took almost ½ a bottle for one "treatment", I just threw the other ½ in the garbage can.

These are the kind of reviews I appreciate. real-world, honest.

Meguairs usually makes such good stuff.

Yes they do, I use their Ultimate QuikWax and it works great, I was thinking this new stuff would be the same idea, but maybe last a little longer. Was I wrong. I washed the car again, then dried it and then applied the QuikWax and buffed. Now my car is shiny again! I have all sorts of products from Meguiar's and they're all good stuff. I guess this one needs more work. I have a saying, I bet the president of the company hasn't tried/built/used this. I can guarantee you that Barry Meguiar has not used this product on any of his cars.

I had a bad experience recently with a turtle wax polish. Liquid ice??? I think it was called, absolute trash and cost me 2hrs more to try and revert what it had done to my car. On the other hand I let the girl use the Meguiars I had laying around, turned out really well.

I use this product religiously on four vehicles. I've never had a problem with it. Did you apply it right? I will admit it does take a bit to wash it off but man does it bead water when applied correctly. No worries here.

Yes they do, I use their Ultimate QuikWax and it works great, I was thinking this new stuff would be the same idea, but maybe last a little longer. Was I wrong. I washed the car again, then dried it and then applied the QuikWax and buffed. Now my car is shiny again! I have all sorts of products from Meguiar's and they're all good stuff. I guess this one needs more work. I have a saying, I bet the president of the company hasn't tried/built/used this. I can guarantee you that Barry Meguiar has not used this product on any of his cars.

I bet Barry hasn't waxed any car in many decades. Guy is quite loaded.

I place the same bet on Jay Leno.

I had a bad experience recently with a turtle wax polish. Liquid ice??? I think it was called, absolute trash and cost me 2hrs more to try and revert what it had done to my car. On the other hand I let the girl use the Meguiars I had laying around, turned out really well.
I use Turtle Wax Ice (the paste kind, not the spray stuff) on my car. The instructions tell you to to use a micro fiber cloth to wipe it off, and the package even included one. The first time I tried TW Ice I ignored this and used an old t-shirt like I always do, and it looked like the car was smeared with vaseline. Switching over the the micro fiber cloth made a world of difference; the wax comes of nicely, leaving a great glossy finish.

I can guarantee you that Barry Meguiar has not used this product on any of his cars.
Barry was a neighbor of mine (before I moved from SoCal). Well, at least one of his houses was in my neighborhood. I suppose this would be his beach vacation home. It was a smaller quiet community so I'd see him driving around often and run into him occasionally at local spots. "Rich" does not begin to describe him; the business was extremely successful long before he took over (I think it was his grandfather that started it?). However I found him a bit odd to talk to; one of those people that gets an inch from your face while talking and always has a huge smile that makes him look guilty of something. Always thought he was going to try and kiss me any moment. Very friendly, but judging from his perfectly manicured hands I'd say he's never done a day of actual physical work - certainly does not polish his own car (very nice looking black Mercedes).

"Ceramic" car polishes seem to be the flavor of the day lately. What did it replace, "nano-technology wax"? I'm waiting for something that is made from rare outer space extraterrestrial poop.

But the really smart car-wax marketing guy is the owner of SwissVax. $1000 for enough to do one car polish. Now he is the wax king. For that much money I certainly do not expect to have to apply it myself. I'll let you imagine how I envision a group of Swiss girls polishing my car.

I use this product religiously on four vehicles. I've never had a problem with it. Did you apply it right? I will admit it does take a bit to wash it off but man does it bead water when applied correctly. No worries here.

As far as I know I did it correctly. Washed the car, rinsed for about 5 minutes to make sure all the soap was gone, then sprayed the entire car with this stuff, then hosed it all off for another 5+ minutes (not good for my water bill) then dried with my Absorber, like I’ve done for years and the car was a complete mess. Tried buffing with microfiber cloth, made no difference. It was like an oily film all over the car, what a mess.

Barry was a neighbor of mine (before I moved from SoCal). Well, at least one of his houses was in my neighborhood. I suppose this would be his beach vacation home. It was a smaller quiet community so I'd see him driving around often and run into him occasionally at local spots. "Rich" does not begin to describe him; the business was extremely successful long before he took over (I think it was his grandfather that started it?). However I found him a bit odd to talk to; one of those people that gets an inch from your face while talking and always has a huge smile that makes him look guilty of something. Always thought he was going to try and kiss me any moment. Very friendly, but judging from his perfectly manicured hands I'd say he's never done a day of actual physical work - certainly does not polish his own car (very nice looking black Mercedes).

"Ceramic" car polishes seem to be the flavor of the day lately. What did it replace, "nano-technology wax"? I'm waiting for something that is made from rare outer space extraterrestrial poop.

But the really smart car-wax marketing guy is the owner of SwissVax. $1000 for enough to do one car polish. Now he is the wax king. For that much money I certainly do not expect to have to apply it myself. I'll let you imagine how I envision a group of Swiss girls polishing my car.

Yes, but to amend my previous statement, at least Leno has, in the past at least, wrenched on his own cars. To my understanding, before he "made it", he was a master technician for Rolls, Bentley and Mercedes.

Thing is, humans tend to become out of touch once their money worries are 100% behind them. You will hear Jay say only positive things about his cars: "Yeah, this car gives me no problems! I drive it all the time!"

Yeah, Jay. You have 170+ cars, and 50+ motorcycles, and you employ a full staff, at your hangar at LAX of all places, to maintain them. They are to keep each car "driver ready" at all times...and you probably only put 50 miles a year on your Deusenberg SJ or one of your 3 Miuras, so...yeah.

Leno does seem like a genuine kind person, though. I honestly think Jay Leno's Garage is a way he can give back, instead of hoarding his collection to himself like the Sultan of Brunei or Seinfeld tend to do.

Back on topic: I heard Zymol is supposed to be incredible wax, but expensive. Anyone use it?

Last edited:
Yes, but to amend my previous statement, at least Leno has, in the past at least, wrenched on his own cars. To my understanding, before he "made it", he was a master technician for Rolls, Bentley and Mercedes.

Thing is, humans tend to become out of touch once their money worries are 100% behind them. You will hear Jay say only positive things about his cars: "Yeah, this car gives me no problems! I drive it all the time!"

Yeah, Jay. You have 170+ cars, and 50+ motorcycles, and you employ a full staff, at your hangar at LAX of all places, to maintain them. They are to keep each car "driver ready" at all times...and you probably only put 50 miles a year on your Deusenberg SJ or one of your 3 Miuras, so...yeah.

Leno does seem like a genuine kind person, though. I honestly think Jay Leno's Garage is a way he can give back, instead of hoarding his collection to himself like the Sultan of Brunei or Seinfeld tend to do.

Back on topic: I heard Zymol is supposed to be incredible wax, but expensive. Anyone use it?
I knew someone who went to high school with Jay Leno. She said he was the real deal, and would leave tickets for her and other friends when he was performing in the area even after he got famous.

I knew someone who went to high school with Jay Leno. She said he was the real deal, and would leave tickets for her and other friends when he was performing in the area even after he got famous.

Yes, he strikes me as the real deal. A genuinely kind person.

I am sure he wants to get his hands dirty, but he is very busy, and has ascended (if you like) to such a point where he doesn't have to turn a wrench unless he wants to.

Plus, as you get old, it gets harder to wrench.

I've noticed that Jay is very easy going and 'normal' to talk to when he is not in front of a crowd or on stage. But he kind of changes personality a bit when he is "on".... becomes a entertainer more than a regular guy. I suppose that is to be expected in his profession though.

The times I have met him he has been great to be with. Years ago when he was still doing the tonight show and Vegas venues, his Countach and Muira both had sand blasted front ends and high miles on them from him blasting from one to the other.

Last fall when I ran into him he was great both to me and some ditzy signature hound lady that came in after seeing him drive up and go into Autobooks in Burbank (his hanger is next to the Burbank airport).

He has always been surprisingly nice the few times I have been around him.

The times I have met him he has been great to be with. Years ago when he was still doing the tonight show and Vegas venues, his Countach and Muira both had sand blasted front ends and high miles on them from him blasting from one to the other.

Last fall when I ran into him he was great both to me and some ditzy signature hound lady that came in after seeing him drive up and go into Autobooks in Burbank (his hanger is next to the Burbank airport).

He has always been surprisingly nice the few times I have been around him.

The anecdote about him driving his cars like that makes me happy inside. A regular Joe, who did not come from money, influence, or prestige, finds his niche and does what he loves: earning a lot of money making people happy, to fund his gearhead obsession.

He sounds like one of the good ones. "Leading With My Chin" is a great book, if you ever get the chance to read it.

Wonder if he even has an X 1/9 in his vast collection?

Wonder if he even has an X 1/9 in his vast collection?

Not likely, as he's referred to them in the past as insignificant and horribly under-powered little cars. And for the life of me I can't understand why he "of all people" continues to call them "X Nineteens"

Funny. :D
I've noticed he seems to have a hard time getting in and out of most vehicles. Appears to have very bad knee joints.

Back