Looking for threads where the trunk floor was removed

lookforjoe

True Classic
I'm considering cutting out the trunk floor & making it a removable panel. The front edge of the floor/access entry is completely bolloxed, and like an idiot I covered it with dynamat (both sides(!!) so it's gonna be a royal pita to strip. Less (initial) work to cut out the whole panel vs. replacing the lower opening & then adding a repair section to the forward edge.

What I would probably do is make a lip from .0625" angle stock, then use rivnuts to secure a floor panel. The forward cross section has to be replaced no matter what.

IMG-20190813-205728.jpg

I know there have been several threads where ppl cut out the floor & performed a variety of reinstalls, I just can't find any searching :(

Can anyone help? The most recent one I recall was regarding exhaust access, just can't recall who it was.

Last edited:
I have removed my trunk floor from extreme rot. I welded in 1/8" x 1" steel angle and drilled, tapped threads for bolts and easy removal to access exhaust if need be in the future. I do like your idea of rivnuts I might change over to them. Here are a few pics.
20180506_103340.jpg
20180506_132650.jpg

In front of this angle I welded in a 1/8" x 1 1/2" flat stock.
20180509_190814.jpg
20180513_153059.jpg

also welded in angle for my exhaust mounts.
20180709_141014.jpg

Purchased 3/16" aluminum diamond plate for access panel.
20190211_133006.jpg
20190214_112707.jpg

I need to either fabricate new trunk floor or purchase a good used one. The condition of this one is probably all to familier.
20190211_133435.jpg

I cut out my trunk floor. When I installed the DCOEs that pick up intake air from the trunk I installed a floor. It was very simple, I just used the stock top floor section that is held in place by four sheet metal screws. No mods required although it's just a single piece of metal with no insulation on it. I don't use the rear trunk so it was no big deal. With no DCOEs on the Fatrat build I just run it all open including the panel that separates the engine bay from the rear trunk.

Many thanks to all.

Nichol01's is the one that was stuck in my fuzzy memory, I'm sold on that - that's obviously why I had the angle iron lip in my head :D

I think there was another example in Darin's "Project Overkill" thread?

That forward corner/seam, between the lower edge of the bulkhead and the leading edge of the trunk floor, seems to be the worst victim of rust. Mine was rotted out (especially the lower bulkhead portion), despite the rest of the trunk and the two outside corners (quarter panel wells to either side of the trunk) being completely rust free.

I'm not sure what the trunk will be used for, but I doubt it requires a heavy overbuilt structure of some sort. The two layer stock design may not be necessary as well, if decent modern insulation materials are added. A single panel that is supported along all edges (something of a monocoque design) should be more than sufficient structurally and functionally I'd think.

I think there was another example in Darin's "Project Overkill" thread?

That forward corner/seam, between the lower edge of the bulkhead and the leading edge of the trunk floor, seems to be the worst victim of rust. Mine was rotted out (especially the lower bulkhead portion), despite the rest of the trunk and the two outside corners (quarter panel wells to either side of the trunk) being completely rust free.

I'm not sure what the trunk will be used for, but I doubt it requires a heavy overbuilt structure of some sort. The two layer stock design may not be necessary as well, if decent modern insulation materials are added. A single panel that is supported along all edges (something of a monocoque design) should be more than sufficient structurally and functionally I'd think.

Cut it all out. I'm going to follow Nichol01 & use angle iron to support a sheet aluminum panel. I'll add ribs to the panel if need be. I use the trunk, but I got rid of the insert panel years ago.
IMG-20190814-200517.jpg

I'm going to add Volvo heat shield to the exhaust bay - I have the large panel like this from the AWD S40 to fit.
IMG-8712.jpg

That type of heat shield is great. I'd love to get a big piece of it. It can be purchased in basic sizes and cut/shaped to fit, but it is very expensive. I wonder how much it would be to get pieces from cars in the wrecking yards? I seldom get to those places, and when I do I'm after one thing and seem to be in a hurry to get it and get out. You mentioned your Volvo S40; what other vehicles use really large heat shields to look for?

That type of heat shield is great. I'd love to get a big piece of it. It can be purchased in basic sizes and cut/shaped to fit, but it is very expensive. I wonder how much it would be to get pieces from cars in the wrecking yards? I seldom get to those places, and when I do I'm after one thing and seem to be in a hurry to get it and get out. You mentioned your Volvo S40; what other vehicles use really large heat shields to look for?

I'm sorry Jeff, if it's not a Volvo, I do't know the slightest thing about it. I don't pay any attention to other marques at all. :D

Back