ASTECH 8-port head

Frknfiat

bad day on black top
Does anyone have printed materials, ephemera, for the sophisticated amongst us, from way back in the day when the Astech 8-port head was produced for the 850 (843cc) sport racing class?

I have never seen brochures or literature for the Astech head and accessories.

I have never seen a complete Astech set up in person, in spite of being Fiat freak for several decades.

Did anyone else see the complete NOS Astech kit for sale on Craigslist last winter 2018 in Colorado?

upload_2019-8-16_12-56-39.png

Hi, I took a look at it and made an offer. It was in very nice NOS condition.
A very rare item. Price was too high for me at xmas time. It was owned by a retired local Fiat repair shop guy. I think it was an extra spare in a mid-engine Miller Hmod/DSR project that was here about 20 years ago. The head was for the smaller cc engine with small port sizes and single side draft Weber. I think a PBS head is a better choice for most applications these days.
Kent
Lakewood Co

Astech_Head_3.jpg

Astech_Head_2.jpg

It’s my opinion that the Astech head being made for the 843cc, happily mounts on a 903 as well, from what owners have told me, the Astech using stock valve sizes.

A 1st series PBS 8 port head, though sold with a twin carb manifold and also having the 4 intake ports, it is almost an equal match to the Astech kit.

Im talking with an owner making a 3-D printed manifold adapter plate so he can mount the PBS twin carb 4-port manifold on to the Astech head, being a close match for a PBS 1st series head ports.

With a “basic” PBS 8-port Head costing about $3500, and it now requiring the use of special pistons to mate with the 3rd series head currently in production, that’s an investment of over $4k plus.
$2400 for the Astech kit that sold out of Colorado was a real bargain, very street-able, despite D class racing heritage it was designed for, as was the original 1st series PBS head, which is now no longer available.
The 3rd generation PBS head is the better choice only do to its current availability.

Last edited:
DAC75B49-39CD-46D6-8AF2-3786BFA468D2.jpeg
Anyone have some printed info that Was available when the Astech head was first offered for sale?

Last edited:
Im talking with an owner making a 3-D printed manifold adapter plate so he can mount the PBS twin carb 4-port manifold on to the Astech head, being a close match for a PBS 1st series head ports.

Or...just make a new intake manifold for the Astech head to use dual 40DCOE's? I have some full-scale drawings done by the late John Edwards (JO/EL) over 31 years ago for just such a manifold:

astechedwards01.JPG astechedwards02.JPG

At least one of these manifolds was created, as I owned (most of) one many years ago. When I got it, 2 of the intake pipes & their respective carb-mounting plate had been cut off by a previous owner (named "Moron!!!"), who wanted the carb-mounting plate to create a custom single-DCOE intake for a Fiat 500 (which turned out to be a complete failure). Here's the dual manifold, sans 2 intake pipes, with that custom 500 turd next to it. I had hoped to re-use the carb plate & install it with 2 new intake tubes back onto the original dual manifold, but ended up selling it before I got around to it:

astech18.JPG astech19.JPG astech20.JPG astech21.JPG astech22.JPG astech23.JPG

Here's an alternative manifold, created to mount the DCOE's facing the other way - I'm not sure if this one ever got made (photo needs to be turned 90° CCW):

astechedwards03.JPG

Hi
Well, well, I asked and wow, what a great reply from the bottom of your X-file cabinet - thanks Jeff!

The adapter I was peaking of: first buy a PBS 4 port manifold, it’s readily available and make a 1/2” transition plate that mates the PBS manifold to the Astech head -
SANY0069.JPG

d8e4364a-7ae7-4da7-a0fc-53690b11b43b

Edwards stand alone manifold designs are excellent, but cost could be pricey (?)
I’m not intuitive, perhaps you have spare manifolds your selling?

I’m printing all your astech documents, nice to see this info is finally being posted for anyone interested out on the internet can find.

Last edited:
Abarth prototype 1000 TCR dual Weber manifold - it to crosses back over the head to the opposite side by the header to get longer intake runners:

index.php

Back