Instrument panel lights dim - suggestions

Gary McCormick

True Classic
As I continue to prep X for ultimate sale, I think making instrument panel lighting brighter MIGHT be worth undertaking, so am requesting suggestions from the Forum gang.

1. 1979 X, stock instrument panel EXCEPT optical cable lighting is gone.
2. All instruments work AS OF 1/2 HOUR AGO, now who knows .
3. Even with rheostat on max., panel is still pretty dim.

Any suggestions for brightening the panel?

Gary McCormick
‘79X and ‘98 Z3 2.8L
Carlisle, PA

Clean all your ground blooms thoroughly would be step 1. If that doesn't improve things, then switch to LEDs?

Thanks Pete

Has anyone who changed to LEDs in an X been fully satisfied?

I read some general posts on line which indicates mixed reviews about LEDS in instrument panel applications.

Gary

I love my IREDs in the dash. Very bright and works as long as you put the LEDs in the correct direction.

I love mine too, the instrument cluster looks bright and crisp. My only complaint is getting the center console lights to match in brightness. But how often do you actually look at that, my eyes are on the cluster or on the road.

The rheostat for my center console lights was wired as a voltage divider from the factory. If you turn it up all the way, you get full battery voltage on the bulbs. Not sure how the later rheostats were wired but I would expect them to be near zero resistance at the brightest setting unless there is a problem.

The rheostat for my center console lights was wired as a voltage divider from the factory. If you turn it up all the way, you get full battery voltage on the bulbs. Not sure how the later rheostats were wired but I would expect them to be near zero resistance at the brightest setting unless there is a problem.
Thanks

There have been some great threads about LED conversions for the dash/instruments. They offer some reviews (with photos) that might help give you an idea how they look. I only have one link handy, not the best but either try a search or maybe someone else has more:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....ht-operation-whats-correct.33293/#post-283465

As Pete just said, all LED's will only work in one polarity (+/- wires orientation). So if it does not light up then try reversing it.

LED's are bright and some find them to be too bright for a dash display. But they can be 'dimmed'. However the X1/9 came with two versions of "dimmer" depending on the year. One of them works with LED lights, the other does not. They are interchangeable if yours isn't the right type. This allows you to adjust the LED brightness to your liking. Here is an explanation about the two types:
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index....ster-light-switch-panel-light-rheostat.34614/

Back