WTB '79-82 FIAT X 1/9

Much easier to get a later X with the 1500 and convert to early style bumpers than to convert an early car to 5-speed and 1500. A popular bumper mod is to modify the 75-78 bumpers to single rail. Very easy to do with simple hand tools

View attachment 24397

I think you are right, but the angle iron look isn't doing anything for me.

The factory bumperettes just look so "right" to me.

I may have to just bite the bullet and get a Series 1 1300cc car w/ the 4 speed...but those are very rare cars.

At the risk of derailing this thread even more, I wasn't a fan of the '79+ bumpers either until I bought my current X. My car was originally two tone, black/champagne. The PO resprayed it all black and in the process painted the bumpers and mouldings black as well.

IMHO it came out great! '79+ bumpers painted body color transform them from something that looks tacked on and out of place to something that looks like it belongs on the car. It gives the car a Jalpa/late Countach note to it with the boxy bumpers complimenting the wedge body . . . But it only works if the bumpers are painted body color.

Having the Bertone spoiler adds to the aesthetic too.

I have seen exxies where the later square bumpers were refinished in body color, but the color was not black.....not my cup of tea. But I agree that black late bumpers do very much complement a late black car. The natural aluminum finish on "early late" cars works with a black car, but to my eye the black bumpers look better on a black car.

I'm on the west coast so this won't help you. I have a 78 that I'm gonna be selling this year. It got a 1500 with a 5 speed tranny and all new suspension, front is KYB coil over and rear is KYB struts from MWB. This car was shipped to Midwest-124 in Columbus in 2018. The engine and transmission was built by Jon Logan. You can call him for full details. Performance head, 87mm pistons, lightweight flywheel, 34datr carb. No rust, paint is still shiny but not perfect. Some pictures for you. I'm asking $6500 OBO

Before, with stock 1300 and 4 speed.
IMG_0018.JPG Now. With 1500 and 5 speed. Euro bumpers is from Henk.
IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1296.JPG At Midwest-124 doing the conversion.
IMG_0434.JPG Done. Firewall material is also from Henk.
1011181227_resized.jpg
Inside
IMG_0020.JPG

Last edited:
BTW, if I can't find a buyer for this car. I'm gonna send it back to Columbus and have them do a K20 conversion. Sweet.

Mine is an ‘85 back-dated to early style:

799775FE-836A-4385-9CE1-859FEBFB147A.jpeg

Planning to put it on BaT

Looks incredible. Your car is 90% of the look I am aiming to attain.

There is also a set of Compolagno wheels I think look incredible on the X 1/9...

new-wheels-for-my-x-19

https://hitthewave.wordpress.com/2009/10/14/new-wheels-for-my-x-19/#jp-carousel-60

I'd like these wheels, small bumpers...and a nice color.

Can't wait to get started!

Great Job ! Looks awesome Mark ! Any more photos? What did you do for the front and rear bumpers?

And what kind of wheels are those?

I'm on the west coast so this won't help you. I have a 78 that I'm gonna be selling this year. It got a 1500 with a 5 speed tranny and all new suspension, front is KYB coil over and rear is KYB struts from MWB. This car was shipped to Midwest-124 in Columbus in 2018. The engine and transmission was built by Jon Logan. You can call him for full details. Performance head, 87mm pistons, lightweight flywheel, 34datr carb. No rust, paint is still shiny but not perfect. Some pictures for you. I'm asking $6500 OBO

Before, with stock 1300 and 4 speed.
View attachment 24438 Now. With 1500 and 5 speed. Euro bumpers is from Henk.
View attachment 24439 View attachment 24440 At Midwest-124 doing the conversion.
View attachment 24441 Done. Firewall material is also from Henk.
View attachment 24442
Inside
View attachment 24443
Looking good! Nice header, care to tell us where you got it?
Sorry, a bit off topic.

I thought they looked better on my 850:

View attachment 24449

These were always on of my favorites on the X1/9:

View attachment 24450

They look better than the "Daytonas" to me. I like symmetry in my wheels. I am a big fan of 4 spoke wheels when the wheels have 4 lugs, 5 spokes when the wheels have 5 lugs, etc...I just like the balance.

What is the exact model name of these slotted wheels, and are replicas available? I've tried all the obvious sources, Bayless, EBay, Obert, and no one has these...anywhere.

Last edited:
BTW, if I can't find a buyer for this car. I'm gonna send it back to Columbus and have them do a K20 conversion. Sweet.

Pretty snazzy. Looking for something closer to me if possible, unless my job sends me to California on business...Lovely car!

Pretty snazzy. Looking for something closer to me if possible, unless my job sends me to California on business...Lovely car!
If you come to CA you should go for that yellow one, beautiful car.

Don't know the official name for the slotted wheels, I just know them by Campagnolo "Ragno"(spider in Italian) if you look closely you can see 8 legs spider. Never seen replicas, but if you know someone in Italy they can pick you up a set tomorrow.

Back