Forged crank - 1290cc SOHC?

I think Jeff Stich and Chris Obert would know this as it pertains to any FIATs shipped to the USA.

Steve C (aka fiatfactory) would have a handle on this as it pertains to ROW (Rest Of World).

I'm guessing no, at least not in anything offered at retail....the stresses experienced by consumer cars just don't justify the added expense. PBS's 1600cc/ 68mm cranks were ductile cast iron. Maybe some race-only stuff, either by FIAT, Abarth, or another race-oriented supplier?

The only thing forged that I recall being discussed, are the con rods on the 1500, forged from the factory.

never seen a forged 55.5 crank from the factory...

plenty of aftermarket sources, but not cheap.

Cheaper options are often cut from a billet, but that isn't a true forged item... forging is a much more expensive process.

If something from the Fiat range was to be close and fit and be forged, it would probably be from a small displacement Fiat diesel.

SteveC

never seen a forged 55.5 crank from the factory...

plenty of aftermarket sources, but not cheap.

Cheaper options are often cut from a billet, but that isn't a true forged item... forging is a much more expensive process.

If something from the Fiat range was to be close and fit and be forged, it would probably be from a small displacement Fiat diesel.

SteveC
Thanks Steve, I was hoping to find a Fiat source, but I would be interested in aftermarket sources too. Can you give me any suggestions where I could find an aftermarket source, even billet?

Thanks for the replies, I became interested in this topic after inspecting a few cranks that I've got. One of them was significantly beefier, but it didn't look like a forging, and doesn't really "sound" like one either. The crank that caught my attention is a Fiat crank and it was significantly heavier (before it was lightened).
Can anyone shed some light on which Fiat 1290 SOHC cranks were beefed up?

Thanks Simon. That crank looks forged, but I couldn't find anything in the discription that describes it as such. Also, did Fiat make it? And of course, the price must not have translated correctly, $6396,00? And that's 10% off?

That price is in Argentinian Pesos, which also uses the $ symbol. Converts to about $128 USD

Nothing in any IAVA literature I have (which admittedly isn't much) mentions anything about forged cranks... certainly not for the 90/100/102hp models I have sales brochures and literature for, so I would wonder about anything from south america being what you want (or any different to what you already have)

Mike, In eastern europe there is still class racing that the sohc 1116 and 1290 are popular / successful in, so contact someone like Bojan (Stole's race shop) or Sime (Fiat race parts) or Andrea (chats here on the forum) in Croatia / Serbia / Greece as they will have access to cranks for more realistic money than what is coming out of Italy.

SteveC

Stock Fiat crank has been problem free even in endurance race conditions. Simply do not see any need for an aftermarket crank.

The PBS 1600 stroker cranks were cast iron, recently a friend who is trying to resurrect a PBS 1600 SOHC discovered the PBS 1600 crank has stress cracks and cannot be used.

The solution, 1600 stock Fiat crank and SCAT connecting rods.

Bernice

I'm guessing no, at least not in anything offered at retail....the stresses experienced by consumer cars just don't justify the added expense. PBS's 1600cc/ 68mm cranks were ductile cast iron. Maybe some race-only stuff, either by FIAT, Abarth, or another race-oriented supplier?

IAVA made fiat products under liscence ......

they also self-developed the SOHC for their "hot" road versions. some of the IAVA cams are very good for road use !

I believe its only the "early" versions that had a forged crank. Later 128's went to a std cast version. I don't know which years this occurred.

as Bernice said - the std Fiat cast iron (SG) shaft is pretty durable. its induction heat treated, decent grade of material and has rolled fillets.

Fiat changed the material with the introduction of the Stilo / Marena / Brava versions of the SOHC (DOHC headed) engine - its a different type of heat treatment - search "ADI crankshafts"........

Fiat also went to the trouble of factory lighteneing the later versions of 1500/1600 engines with scalap's betwixt the crank webs....again this is obvious when one looks at them.

if you wanted to turn the engine to 10-11k, or had a long stroke version, or put 30psi of boost throu the thing - then a better spec of material might be useful......

rgds
simon

Back