Custom Built/Valved Koni Coil-Over Struts

Steve Hoelscher

True Classic
Set of 4 X1/9 Custom Built and Valved Koni, single adjustable, coil-over struts. $1000.

This set I built for track/autocross use. Custom valved to my specs. Shortened shafts for optimum travel at lowered ride heights. Zero time on recent rebuild. All work done at Koni USA. Price is shipped within the USA.

20190821_200347.jpg 20190821_200347.jpg

Man. Wasn’t planning coilovers, but if you find a set of unmodified fronts, let me know!
BJ, you can add the stock lower spring perches from your old stock struts to these. Either disassemble the Koni's and weld them on, or add threaded collars (like for coil-overs) and use the stock lower perches instead of coil-over springs. That second approach will allow you to adjust the ride height. You will have to sacrifice a set of stock struts to do it, but it really isn't that difficult.

They were valved to be used on a track/autocross car. So the valving is setup for a more traditional spring and bar package. Compression was upped slightly but a more aggressive rebound with a wider adjustment range was used. Valving is basically the same front/rear and should work well with springs up to the 500 to 600 lbs/in. Originally built for my DSP racecar I had them built and revalved for my'74 X1/9 when I was my street/track/autocross toy. They worked great in that role. They were used one weekend on a F Prod road race car for a friend to test my all spring setup. They worked adequately then set full stiff in front. I had them rebuilt at Koni a few years ago and they have been sitting in a box on a shelf in my garage since.

If you have specific questions about your application please let me know.

I ran struts similar to Steve's on my autocross car for years. Steve's set are a good item, if you are considering coil overs.

Last edited:
IMO, this is a GOOD deal folks. One of the projects for the 74' is to make a set of struts with Koni 8611s (~$360 x 4), By the time on has spent on proper struts then put them into a housing, then send them to Koni (TrueChoice?) for work, total will be well over $1k.

Bernice

They were valved to be used on a track/autocross car. So the valving is setup for a more traditional spring and bar package. Compression was upped slightly but a more aggressive rebound with a wider adjustment range was used. Valving is basically the same front/rear and should work well with springs up to the 500 to 600 lbs/in. Originally built for my DSP racecar I had them built and revalved for my'74 X1/9 when I was my street/track/autocross toy. They worked great in that role. They were used one weekend on a F Prod road race car for a friend to test my all spring setup. They worked adequately then set full stiff in front. I had them rebuilt at Koni a few years ago and they have been sitting in a box on a shelf in my garage since.

If you have specific questions about your application please let me know.

That is a good deal, I'm still a couple years from starting the project, Street/track/autox/hillclimb toy. It's tempting but I should focus the available funds toward getting the project done that's holding it up.

Man. Wasn’t planning coilovers, but if you find a set of unmodified fronts, let me know! :)

BJ, I do have a set of Koni Coil-Overs that are stock length and slightly warmed over valving. You could put stock perches on them or just use springs in the range of stock rates, or whatever you wanted. I would want to sell them as a set of 4 though.

Back