1967 1000 OT spider steering wheel

t38bob

Bob Tobin
Hello, I am restoring a 1967 Fiat Abarth 1000 OT spider and was looking for suggestions for a period correct steering wheel. I have read that they came with everything from the stock wheel to an abarth 3 spoke wheel.
Were the spokes polished aluminum for the early cars? Thanks, Bob Tobin

It likely would have come standard with the black rimmed, polished spoke wheel with an Abarth center.

Options could have been several things.

The black with polished is one of my favorites. Feel free to post pics of your project! :excited:

Thanks and yes I will post pics of the project. It goes to paint in a couple of weeks. I like the black rim with polished spokes also. Tough to find one though. Bob

OT steering wheel

Depending on the buyers' preference, the OT1000 Spider came with either the factory early 850 steering wheel (black rim with polished chrome steel spokes), or an Abarth alloy 3-spoke steering wheel (wood or black leather rim with silver or black spokes).

The 850 type wheel used a (now rare) horn button that was similar to the stock 850 unit, but was white with red/gold/blue rings around the outer perimeter & a small Abarth shield in the center. I've seen two versions of this horn button, the other had more white in the center & thinner colored rings pushed further outward.

The Abarth wheel used a horn button with a black/white checkerboard background & a small Abarth shield in the center.

I'll try to find pics of each & post them later tonight. :)

Thanks Jeff, do any of the reproduction steering wheels come close to the correct design? The black leather Berni wheel with checker horn button looks good but I would prefer a wood wheel with the horn button you describe. Were they made by Nardi? Also, do you know the correct diameter? Bob

Interesting modification of an 850 Coupe IP with the oil pressure gauge.

Is that an Abarth mod or owner created?

Not mine, but might be of interest to the OP: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NO...079551?hash=item1f00f590bf:g:CBYAAOSw4u9dbxZQ

Looks like the correct style with the unique ABARTH lettering at the top of the middle spoke, but it looks like it might be a 320 or 330mm diameter. Believe 1000 OT should be 370mm?
That looks to be maybe 12" dia. or even less. May be a challenge to drive. I have a 12" dia. wheel going into my 600 Abarth replica but the cars are a lot lighter. I have a 15" dia. wheel that looks like the black one Fiatpower posted and is going into my 1300/124 and AFAIK the correct wheel for the 1300/124.

Back