Moving a X19 without the engine in place

If the engine is out but the transaxle and half shafts are in, and the transaxle is still secured to the north-south crossmember, then put it in neutral and off you go, slowly for a short distance. The weight of the transaxle will be levering the lower mount awkwardly like this, so for anything more than a driveway's length, I'd either remove the transaxle and halfshafts, or at a minimum find a way to support the weight of the driver's far end of the transaxle with strong rachet straps or similar.

If engine and transaxle are out but the halfshafts are still in, unfasten the half shafts at the hubs (6 allen head capscrews per outer CV joint), remove the half shafts and off you go.

Is there a way to safely move or tow a Fiat X19 with the engine out of the engine bay?
Yes.
AAA platinum membership. They will tow you up to 200 miles. They will usually ask what the reason for the tow is. "Car won't start" , and that's it. A flatbed will arrive in 20-45 minutes

If the engine is out but the transaxle and half shafts are in, and the transaxle is still secured to the north-south crossmember, then put it in neutral and off you go, slowly for a short distance. The weight of the transaxle will be levering the lower mount awkwardly like this, so for anything more than a driveway's length, I'd either remove the transaxle and halfshafts, or at a minimum find a way to support the weight of the driver's far end of the transaxle with strong rachet straps or similar.

If engine and transaxle are out but the halfshafts are still in, unfasten the half shafts at the hubs (6 allen head capscrews per outer CV joint), remove the half shafts and off you go.
THX Dan

That's the answer for a five-speed.
For a four-speed, you remove axle shafts completely by undoing the big staked nut at the end and pulling them out of the hub. Chances are you'll have done that as part of removing the transmission, but if instead you've removed the A-arms, struts, hubs and carriers, transmission and axle shafts together you'll have to separate the shafts from the hub and then reinstall the suspension bits.

That's the answer for a five-speed.
For a four-speed, you remove axle shafts completely by undoing the big staked nut at the end and pulling them out of the hub. Chances are you'll have done that as part of removing the transmission, but if instead you've removed the A-arms, struts, hubs and carriers, transmission and axle shafts together you'll have to separate the shafts from the hub and then reinstall the suspension bits.

My apologies if I am asking a stupid question but won’t doing this as you describe destroy the rear wheel bearing? My recollection was that doing it this way would cause the bearing to separate as the outer CV is the ‘clamp’ for the bearing.

My apologies if I am asking a stupid question but won’t doing this as you describe destroy the rear wheel bearing? My recollection was that doing it this way would cause the bearing to separate as the outer CV is the ‘clamp’ for the bearing.
It’s ok if you’re just rolling it around the shop, which is how I’m understanding “moving” here.

Because of the fear of destroying the rear wheel bearings on the 4-speed when the trans is out, I leave the driveshafts in with the hub nut tight and support the driveshafts in the engine compartment with bungee cords so that they are straight and in the air.
This way they spin but hang in mid-air and don't hit anything.
Only for rolling around the shop though.

When I was regularly working on 4 speed cars I kept a set of outer CVs and would put them in the hubs to support the bearings when rolling the car.

Putting a load on the bearings without the CV stubs will usually ruin the seals if only pushing it a few feet.

For a 5 speed, the outer CV stub shafts are easily removed from the CV and installed for the same purpose.

Back