What’d ya do with your X120 today?

Have you tried a product called "KROIL" (creeping oil)? We have used it with some success.

Like your attention to detail! Car will be awesome when "done".
I used Evaporust as I've always had luck with de-rusting parts. But the cylinders were really too far gone. :( I did reinstall them, but can't be locked. The other one can, but I had better not put a different key in there, or I'm screwed.

Thanks for the props!

tJ

I spent another $50 at the body & paint store today in an effort to get me out to the garage. Supposed to be warmer on Friday...

tJ, if you can totally disassemble and pop out the lock cylinders, I have a bag of cylinder slides and springs you can use to rebuild the assemblies with. Just takes a micrometer, and (for me) my magnifying lens lamp...

tJ, if you can totally disassemble and pop out the lock cylinders, I have a bag of cylinder slides and springs you can use to rebuild the assemblies with. Just takes a micrometer, and (for me) my magnifying lens lamp...
moto, do you have the skills to rebuild the locks? I tried, but I can't figure out how the springs go in.

tJ

I missed tinkering on my old Scorpion so when Ron put 1409 up for sale I decided to buy it. It showed up Friday afternoon, the transport company was very careful with it and it arrived in fine condition. First order of business was to take care of the sloppy shifting, I found the lower bushing in the cross member was missing. Luckily I had an extra from my old Scorpion. Since the car was designed and built around this bushing it took a while to get to it. I snuck the bushing in and took the picture. Looking at the picture I just noticed the hose clamp. I was wondering why the rod would not go further down. Oh well back to the garage.

its_here.jpg

sc_cross.jpg

Old Scorpion
76.jpg

I worked on interior bits. I'm in the middle of building the center console, which includes (top to bottom) hazard switch and possibly power window switches (or ashtray instead), circuit breaker panel, HVAC controls, clock and a couple of switches. Remember, this is an 037 imitation, not a stock Scorpion interior. Here is a shot of a real 037 center console, this one with an ashtray (from the X1/9, also the clock is from the X1/9).

IMG_4403.jpg

And here is the center console I have been working on. Mine will have only the hazard switch, and if I ever install power windows those will go on there too.

IMG_2501.JPG

Coming along. I've also been working on the surround for it, which in the real 037 picture appears to be a suede-like material. More commonly found on the 037 was a material that resembled woven fiberglass, that is the look I will be going for on this car. An example here.

lancia_rally_037_stradale_cars_interior_1920x1080_82021.jpg

After this, the dashboard. No shortage of things to work on.

Pete

Wow Lanciahf, that's a great looking car! Post lots more pics of it soon and list its specs. Love its wheels.

Pete, that's damn fine work there. I'd like to see more pics with a narrative of the latest bodywork & other endeavors for your project. Thanks for posting : )

Lanciahf, beautiful car! I did a custom dash in my RX-7 a couple of years ago and still get lots of compliments on it. It's a really satisfying project.

I just bought the 6 bushings I need to replace for the shift linkage. I understand that there are a couple more that the Monte Hospital sells. I'm trying to figure out where they all go...is there a write-up on doing the replacements somewhere? I would love to see what I'm up against.

tJ

Lanciahf, beautiful car! I did a custom dash in my RX-7 a couple of years ago and still get lots of compliments on it. It's a really satisfying project.

I just bought the 6 bushings I need to replace for the shift linkage. I understand that there are a couple more that the Monte Hospital sells. I'm trying to figure out where they all go...is there a write-up on doing the replacements somewhere? I would love to see what I'm up against.

tJ
TJ this is the link to the bottom bushing that fits in the cross member for the bottom of the vertical shift rod. Not sure about a write up anywhere.

http://montehospital.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=456

I was pleasantly surprised that the car came with a real european Weber carb with the large centuries, 25/27. 34 DATRA. I might try to fit a mechanical fuel pump in there to get rid of the loud annoying cube electric pump. The 2nd series Montecarlos had a mechanical pump.

Wow Lanciahf, that's a great looking car! Post lots more pics of it soon and list its specs. Love its wheelsQUOTE]

Pete, just thinking out loud but it would be really great if you can come up with an alternative to the convoluted Scorpion HVAC controls with something simple using the three lever controls from a 74 to 78 x1/9. No more vacuum controls!!!

Pete, just thinking out loud but it would be really great if you can come up with an alternative to the convoluted Scorpion HVAC controls with something simple using the three lever controls from a 74 to 78 x1/9. No more vacuum controls!!!

Stay tuned to my blog. I'll get round to it eventually. :p

Pete, in my research the "woven fiberglass" material you refer to that trims 037 Stradale dash and console is actually a rubberized neoprene wetsuit-type material. The suede covering in your other image was probably done due to the unavailability of the original material. I thought I heard someone is reproducing the original stuff, somewhere.

Pete, in my research the "woven fiberglass" material you refer to that trims 037 Stradale dash and console is actually a rubberized neoprene wetsuit-type material. The suede covering in your other image was probably done due to the unavailability of the original material. I thought I heard someone is reproducing the original stuff, somewhere.

Oh no! Too late. :D

Someone else who had seen a real 037 also described it as a "foam like" covering. But no imitation woven fiberglass for me, I went for the real thing!

IMG_2508.JPG
IMG_2510.JPG

Some gray paint and it should look the part. If I could ever get the fiberglass resin to cure in my near-freezing shop. Even with a halogen light on it for several hours it's still tacky.

Pete

Well, it looks good anyway! If you ever need any detail images of real 037s, I've taken at least some photos of nearly every one I've come across so just let me know.

Well, it looks good anyway! If you ever need any detail images of real 037s, I've taken at least some photos of nearly every one I've come across so just let me know.

Thanks! I've accumulated a huge collection from the internet. The one shot I cannot find is one that shows what the top of the dash looks like, specifically how and where the "woven fiberglass/foam" ends and merges into the windshield vent area. Got anything like that?

Found these allen head connecting nuts at Home Depot to replace the missing collared nuts that hold the shock tower garnishes on. The shanks are too long, but I had some anodized drill stops that are the perfect diameter and width. I have a couple of extras that I plan on trying to cut down so the drill stops won't be necessary.

tJ

shocktower4.jpg

shocktower3.jpg

Thanks! I've accumulated a huge collection from the internet. The one shot I cannot find is one that shows what the top of the dash looks like, specifically how and where the "woven fiberglass/foam" ends and merges into the windshield vent area. Got anything like that?
Hey Pete here is the 037 that got me obsessed back in the late 80's, sat in it every time I could and made vroom noises...
https://www.classicitaliancarsforsale.com/1983-lancia-037/
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.54.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 10.54.54 AM.png
Hope it helps!

Back