Serie Speciale Fender Badge

I should really start scanning all my factory photos..1 of these days..

View attachment 27506

I was able to get the dimensions through people on facebook and Kalle Welter. The early decals are 45 x 70mm and the late badges were ~35 x 90mm. I emailed Rallye Productions asking for a quote of the early badge with the Italian flag and also a quote for everyone here on if the flag can be swapped and numbers customize-able. We will see what they say.

My understanding of those flag stickers is that they were applied by the dealership or at the port of entry. @AKimball92 are you saying that #0800 with the Belgian flag was actually the 800th X/19 off the assembly line?

index.php

Whomever made the stickers did a great job. The numbers are slightly offset, like the originals I have seen on Australian delivered cars. @AKimball92 having one or two of these stickers made is going to be pretty expensive. If you don't have the software the skills to do the artwork, you'll be paying someone at that company to do the work.

There are two types or vinyl for stickers. One is called Calendar and the other Cast. Calendar vinyl will shrink when solvent based inks are applied. Plus, they will shrink after they are applied. Cast vinyl is the best stuff out there. 3M makes a product called Controltac. It is what people use to wrap cars and trucks. This stuff is really stable and is what I use for the stickers I make. It doesn't shrink.

IMG_20190821_204723.jpg

@AKimball92, that plate is made using a process called metalphoto. The black "ink" that is laid down is really durable. In the picture you posted, I see tiny little circles in each of the four corners. Those could be posts on the back of the of the plate. If so, there would be holes in the fender and push nuts holding the plate to the fender. If that's not the case, 3M makes emblem tape that @Dr.Jeff mentions in his post. If you move forward with the metal plate, you'll also need a set of dies to reproduce the numbers that are stamped on it. You might want to have that ting restored. I've hear there are companies out there that can provide that service.
index.php

Last edited:
I see tiny little circles in each of the four corners.
I wonder if those are actually holes where the badge could optionally be riveted on? Although this one certainly isn't riveted, but perhaps the badges were made with the intent of doing so.

Speaking of vinyl, would it be more cost effective to have a black vinyl decal made with all of the script cut out? Then stick the decal over a aluminum plate, allowing the silver aluminum to show through the cutouts. Making a one-off cut-out sticker wouldn't be expensive, especially being a solid single color - lots of local shops make custom decals.

For sure..currently my scanner is no good but I’ll pick up another one soon.
These decals were just on the SS that was not a USA edition so demand is low.

I am not familiar with SS. What exactly is that?

Yes, I understand demand is low. Demand is low for stickers in general. I made the stickers shown in the picture on my previous post for some Australian owners. I've only sold a few sets, but that's ok. I've made some folks really happy.

If I can create a template of the flag sticker, that would go a long way to help some folks out. I am a bit curious about them, now.

I'm going to pester you until you get a new scanner. :)

My understanding of those flag stickers is that they were applied by the dealership or at the port of entry. @AKimball92 are you saying that #0800 with the German flag was actually the 800th X/19 off the assembly line?

Whomever made the stickers did a great job. The numbers are slightly offset, like the originals I have seen on Australian delivered cars. @AKimball92 having one or two of these stickers made is going to be pretty expensive. If you don't have the software the skills to do the artwork, you'll be paying someone at that company to do the work.

There are two types or vinyl for stickers. One is called Calendar and the other Cast. Calendar vinyl will shrink when solvent based inks are applied. Plus, they will shrink after they are applied. Cast vinyl is the best stuff out there. 3M makes a product called Controltac. It is what people use to wrap cars and trucks. This stuff is really stable and is what I use for the stickers I make. It doesn't shrink.

View attachment 27511

@AKimball92, that plate is made using a process called metalphoto. The black "ink" that is laid down is really durable. In the picture you posted, I see tiny little circles in each of the four corners. Those could be posts on the back of the of the plate. If so, there would be holes in the fender and push nuts holding the plate to the fender. If that's not the case, 3M makes emblem tape that @Dr.Jeff mentions in his post. If you move forward with the metal plate, you'll also need a set of dies to reproduce the numbers that are stamped on it. You might want to have that ting restored. I've hear there are companies out there that can provide that service.

Quite the knowledge bank here! Thanks, Brian! You are correct on the quote for 1. I got it back at 195.5 for one plaque. I will need to rethink my strategy or continue to shop around.

I am not looking to re-do the unique Japanese market plaque. That was just to show what remains on the car but that I don't have my original RHS decal.

I am not familiar with SS. What exactly is that?

Yes, I understand demand is low. Demand is low for stickers in general. I made the stickers shown in the picture on my previous post for some Australian owners. I've only sold a few sets, but that's ok. I've made some folks really happy.
If I can create a template of the flag sticker, that would go a long way to help some folks out. I am a bit curious about them, now.
I'm going to pester you until you get a new scanner. :)

I might have to take you up on that offer. Or I thought to potentially freehand something. The scan and reprint might be the best option. I was preparing myself to spend a lot of money but not quite $200 for a 70 x 35 plaque.

Andrew, I am very detail oriented when it comes to the stickers I make. Most of the reproduction stickers I've seen don't have the correct fonts. I have taken at least two dozen font files and tweaked the letters to match original fonts as best as possible. I am happy to make a template for anyone to use. Here's what I have so far. I am not very happy with the Bertone signature. The red box is the cut line for the sticker. The numbers are not quite right, but they are close. I will have to tweak the font file for them.

Bertone Signature Flag.jpg

As for that plate, I've been going back and forth with a guy in the UK that does one-off ID plates. He is an exceptionally nice guy. My project is being held by me finding the right size rivets. His name is Carl. Send him an email with the picture and the dimensions. He'll quote you a price.

https://vinplatetag.co.uk/?v=7516fd43adaa

Brian, could you make one for a Lido? The colours may be off, I’ve not seen one in the flesh....

As for that plate, I've been going back and forth with a guy in the UK that does one-off ID plates.
I've seen a couple of sources in the US that make replacement VIN plates for restoration purposes. As I recall, some might specialize in only one make of vehicle. Seems like the prices were around $40-60 USD, but I could be mistaken. No idea exactly what they can do, but being in the US might make things a little easier? Unfortunately I don't have specific references off hand, but if I come across them again I'll post it.

Just curious Brian, what's the best way to use the template and get a sticker made? I don't need any, but curious what processes are available and work the best for doing something like this?

In the US there is a company called Fast Signs. They should have a store or stores in your city. They are two expensive for me, but for a person that wants one or two stickers, not too bad. I can tell you, it won't be $5. They are all franchises, I believe. You'll need to ask them if they offer a cast vinyl and if they laminate. The laminate is a clear that helps protect against UV. 3M Controltac is the best stuff out there. Most of these places will guarantee against fading for 3-5 years. But, that would be if the car is exposed to sunlight for hours and hours every day. Most of us keep our cars in garages. So, we should be okay for longer periods of time.

I spent a few hours on the graphics for both stickers. The tough part is getting the signature and the Lido script so it looks good. I think I might be there. Next, I'll have to work on the font for the numbers. I want those to look perfect. On these, the nine is not quite right.

Special Series Australia.jpg

Back