What did you do to your X1/9 today ?

What type/style of injectors are you using now?
I believe the "Sniper" is a carb replacement with 'throttle body' injectors, like this:
550866k_1.5113.jpg

So the injector size is a whole different issue from the type used on the stock FI system.

I believe the "Sniper" is a carb replacement with 'throttle body' injectors, like this:
View attachment 27636
So the injector size is a whole different issue from the type used on the stock FI system.
All the Snipers come with 100lb injectors 2 in the 2 barrel and 4 in the 4 barrel, which I felt was too much for the little FIAT engine. I replaced the stock injectors with currently 43lb injectors, which after it has run feel it is still too much, so I have located some 31lb injectors.

It was 24 years ago today that my car ate most of its valves. Since this is the first Halloween since then that it has been running, I decided to go for a ride. This was the first ride since the resurrection that I tried with the roof on, since it was cold out. I could immediately tell that the roof seals were in need of lubrication as they were squeaking like crazy. I recall that silicone spray was effective at keeping them quiet. Since the heater was throwing out lots of heat, I ended up removing the roof after a few miles. With the heater on high, it stayed plenty warm, even with the windows down.

View attachment 26810
Congratulations Don! It looks great!

Congratulations Don! It looks great!
Thanks Christopher. That crossmember you welded for me seems to be holding up well.

How are you enjoying Prunedale? It must be a bit more laid back than Palo Alto. How is the Scorparu coming along? I think I saw the last episode but haven't checked for a new one lately.

Happy Holidays!

All the Snipers come with 100lb injectors 2 in the 2 barrel and 4 in the 4 barrel, which I felt was too much for the little FIAT engine. I replaced the stock injectors with currently 43lb injectors, which after it has run feel it is still too much, so I have located some 31lb injectors.
Got 31 lb injectors installed just in time to put car into storage for the winter, runs much better now.

The spal is good, don’t get me wrong but it pales in comparison to the stock fan. I have a video somewhere...I’ll post it if I can find it...
I will say that the spal fan is very quiet though. very good quality...

What type/style of injectors are you using now? I only needed 20lb'ers with the 1600. If you buy my modified runners and fuel rail, you can you a wide range of more modern Bosch composite injectors :D

X19_LH24_00035.jpg

I believe he is referring to a Holley Sniper Fuel Injection System. These are a TBI solution but is really intended for a V8 or inline 6.

The oversized injectors were my worry when the subject of them came up.

Those should be pretty close at 61lbs total, versus the 72 Hussein was running on a decidedly ‘hot’ engine.

Topped off the gas tanks and put Stabil in the 85 and 86(which I finally remembered to add to my sig). I normally do this in late fall, but it snowed early this year. I had to wait for some rain to wash most of the salt away before taking them out to the gas station. Both cars fired up easily event though they haven't moved in a month. That was nice.

replaced a dead injector, swapped the O2, installed a front bumper, drive into town filled the tank with fuel and drove around for the fun of it on some errands.

then helped a friend swap out a troubled starter with another, and changed out the coolant for antifreeze, on a friends x1/9.

I have been watching the paint bubble on the passenger side of the bottom windshield for a while now and figured I had better take a look.
Scraped away some paint and after poking around with an ice pick was happy to find that there was substantial metal with slight rust etching'
Sanded away to fairly shinny and applied some rust treatment that will be dry enough for second stage of repair tomorrow.
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG

Prime
IMG_2944.JPG

Last edited:
It has been a multiple fix in one week.... First @toddr124 helped me swap out my radiator. This is something I debated doing on my garage floor, but about 10 minutes into doing this on Todd's lift I realized it would have been a nightmare. In the process we discovered that the two fans that had been installed previously were done so in a questionable manner.. Yes they had relays, but the wiring was a mess and they were the wrong size so the installer had glued them together. They only fit on the diagonal post so they were not really secure. After driving back home and almost over heating, I came to the conclusion that the fans were not going to cut it. I called @carl who had an extra stock fan, so I installed that. Presto! The car runs cooler than it ever has before! Photo from this morning with Fat Rat... I think I need a snorkel.....

Attachments

• 60062723395__6D8C9D01-D021-4934-BBF7-9C9FFA0F1FA7.jpeg
    60062723395__6D8C9D01-D021-4934-BBF7-9C9FFA0F1FA7.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 60062725790__6F93534B-61E1-460C-955E-35B0670C687F.jpeg
    60062725790__6F93534B-61E1-460C-955E-35B0670C687F.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 123
It has been a multiple fix in one week.... First @toddr124 helped me swap out my radiator. This is something I debated doing on my garage floor, but about 10 minutes into doing this on Todd's lift I realized it would have been a nightmare. In the process we discovered that the two fans that had been installed previously were done so in a questionable manner.. Yes they had relays, but the wiring was a mess and they were the wrong size so the installer had glued them together. They only fit on the diagonal post so they were not really secure. After driving back home and almost over heating, I came to the conclusion that the fans were not going to cut it. I called @carl who had an extra stock fan, so I installed that. Presto! The car runs cooler than it ever has before! Photo from this morning with Fat Rat... I think I need a snorkel.....

Ok, quick question. How did you wire your dual stock fans? I recently installed a dual stock fan setup but I’m worried about the added load they’ll take....I just wired them together in series. Any suggestions??

Finished the DCNF carbs and intalled. She fired up on the first twist of the key. If anyone needs a GREAT tutorial on tuning the DCNF's, take a look at "Dino 246 restoration blog". The walk thru leaves nothing to chance and was dummied down enough for (even) me to do the tuning successfully. My Carbs were waaaay out of whack by following some youtube dingleberry. Glad I dug deeper, and my girl is back on the road.

Back