What to do with the roof? What has been done?

Bobkat

1979 x1/9
So looking for ideas for what to do to the roof. What have people done? Sand smooth and paint? Landau? Re texture? I know there are some that have made Lexan versions? I may do a carbon fiber one off over the shell. On a side note does anyone have a roof they are willing to sell? Would like to have a spare just in case.

roof_sm.jpg

I sanded mine smooth and painted body color but lots of folks have done that.
IMG_1189[1].JPG

I think a lot of us would like a super light version. Just be aware, that shipping a targa to you would be massively expensive given the size and weight.

IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0745.JPG

1)Cut the rear out and add a fiberglass piece to give it that "Saratoga" shape. 2) Used the existing material to make small overhang at the rear. 3) Put a charactor line from rear to front. 4) Added aircraft vents. You can find these tops cheap, pretty much anywhere. Hack away!

View attachment 28464 [ATTACHl]28465[/ATTACH]
1)Cut the rear out and add a fiberglass piece to give it that "Saratoga" shape. 2) Used the existing material to make small overhang at the rear. 3) Put a charactor line from rear to front. 4) Added aircraft vents. You can find these tops cheap, pretty much anywhere. Hack away!

WOW! That looks great!

Used the existing material to make small overhang at the rear.
This gives me the idea of forming a bit of a "aero lip" extension at the rear. Although it's not quite what I'm envisioning, the best example I can find online is something like this:

roof_spoiler.png

It can be as subtle as...

51s1gNE5XDL._AC_SY355_.jpg bmwg30015.jpg

Or as wild as...

109084-oncar-01_1.jpg Carbon-Fiber-FRP-Top-Roof-Spoiler-Wing-Lip-Fit-For-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-02-07.jpg

This gives me the idea of forming a bit of a "aero lip" extension at the rear. Although it's not quite what I'm envisioning, the best example I can find online is something like this:

I have done a bunch of these for Audi chassis. I was also looking at doing a Stratos style roof wing for the X. It would have to be smaller and more subtle. So is there a particular design style that makes a roof a "Saratoga" shape?

I was also looking at doing a Stratos style roof wing for the X.
That is along the lines of the one in my very last picture (thumbnail on bottom right of previous post):
Race-Retro-2014-Classic-Motorsport-Lancia-Stratos-Race-car-roof-spoiler-1024x682.jpg

I think for the X it would be best if it attached to the removable top, therefore it would be much shorter and smaller.

Unless you are a weight lifter, I wouldn't go crazy adding more weight to the targa, and consider if you still plan to store it up front.

Rather than restyle the top, I have a damaged one that I want to try making into a lightweight version (relatively speaking) like we discussed in the past. Although forming a new one out of carbon fiber would be ideal, I'll just just cut out most of the roof portion and cover it with a vent type mesh fabric. Where I'm living that would be a winter top I guess, summer is too hot for anything less than a fully insulated top and AC...winter is outdoor weather here.

What if someone made a mold to form carbon fiber roof skins, to go over a stock top with the entire top/center portion cut out? Retain the stock sides, latches, and basic framework, then glue the CF skin over the large open area left after cutting. While not as light as a full CF top, it would be a whole lot easier and less expensive to make.

Rather than restyle the top, I have a damaged one that I want to try making into a lightweight version (relatively speaking) like we discussed in the past. Although forming a new one out of carbon fiber would be ideal, I'll just just cut out most of the roof portion and cover it with a vent type mesh fabric. Where I'm living that would be a winter top I guess, summer is too hot for anything less than a fully insulated top and AC...winter is outdoor weather here.

What if someone made a mold to form carbon fiber roof skins, to go over a stock top with the entire top/center portion cut out? Retain the stock sides, latches, and basic framework, then glue the CF skin over the large open area left after cutting. While not as light as a full CF top, it would be a whole lot easier and less expensive to make.

I was thinking about taking this approach and maybe doing some lightening of the metal frame a bit also. Drilling, and cutting down some supports. Maybe some old skewl acid dip? Then a CF skin

I have not taken one apart yet. Are they all fiberglass. Mine has a hard liner? Is there any metal in there at all?

Look through the threads where others have modified their tops. I recall some pics that help show how it is made. The major portion is fiberglass, but I don't recall the details for the various other parts - there's kind of a lot to it unfortunately (maybe why it is so heavy).

In addition to the link given earlier (https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/lighter-weight-convertible-targa-top.36139/), see if there is anything useful in any of these:

https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/lightweight-roof-and-door-card-pockets.32522/
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-is-under-the-targa-top-coating.35221/
https://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/targa-top-weights.32725/#post-277640

This is a bit off track (so what's new), but the idea of adding a wing of some type to the top's rear edge (e.g. Audi or Stratos) also relates to something else I've been pondering.

In other discussions we've knocked around thoughts about reducing the high temps inside the engine bay by increasing the airflow through it. Things like larger side scoops, open-type cover/rain tray removal, fans, rear exit grills, etc, have led to a debate about the direction of airflow through the bay. The area above the engine lid seems to have a slight low pressure, and under the car a slight higher pressure, so it seems the hot air would rise upward. But for one of my project X's I want to redo things and change the flow of air. I've removed the rear bulkhead between the engine bay and the trunk and will open up the rear taillight panel to add a grill (hot air exit). The floor area under the engine bay will be covered (change the pressure differential). The sidescoops are getting enlarged considerably. The entire engine lid is being replaced with a open screen. And a electric fan installed above the turbo's intercooler to blow down across it (the intercooler sits flat above the area at the 'rear' of the engine, above the transmission). All of this is to facilitate the intercooler, oil cooler (below the intercooler), and exhaust (turbo) side of the engine, by bringing cool air from above and moving it down and out the back of the car.

So a thin foil across the rear of the targa top that aims air DOWN (opposed to up) would increase this direction of flow by increasing the pressure above the engine bay. Similar to the way a snorkel brings air from above the roof into the engine bay. A much larger version of this foil was used on Ford's RS2000 rally cars:
ford-rs200-evolution-1986.jpg

Another example of this concept was popular on early American station wagons:
FordWagonRack.jpg

A buddy just imported a Rs200 here in Calgary this summer. I will have to go take a closer look to see how it is setup. Lucky bastard scored a well worn copy in the UK.
ford.JPG

I was able to examine a pristine road version of it a few years ago. Very cool car. I like the engineering, design, style, size/proportions...I'd love to have one.

The RS2000's "B" pillar side scoops are one of the suggestions I made as possible upgrades for the X1/9. Adding them to the sides of the X's targa bar pillars, instead of having a snorkel on the engine lid. There's a similar thing made for the MR2, but they are more like the upper side scoops seen in your picture of the race version RS2000's trim package. I prefer the style of the RS2000 lower side scoops, more easily seen on the road version (see the pic I posted earlier).

Back