What to do with the roof? What has been done?

I was able to examine a pristine road version of it a few years ago. Very cool car. I like the engineering, design, style, size/proportions...I'd love to have one.

The RS2000's "B" pillar side scoops are one of the suggestions I made as possible upgrades for the X1/9. Adding them to the sides of the X's targa bar pillars, instead of having a snorkel on the engine lid. There's a similar thing made for the MR2, but they are more like the upper side scoops seen in your picture of the race version RS2000's trim package. I prefer the style of the RS2000 lower side scoops, more easily seen on the road version (see the pic I posted earlier).

The side scoops could be designed to stay inside the x b pillars also. Make if functional but clean.

So I really should find a second roof to fool around with. I will be scanning the back of the car for some modifications but I still find it easier to work with real parts to work out ideas.

This is a bit off track (so what's new), but the idea of adding a wing of some type to the top's rear edge (e.g. Audi or Stratos) also relates to something else I've been pondering.

In other discussions we've knocked around thoughts about reducing the high temps inside the engine bay by increasing the airflow through it. Things like larger side scoops, open-type cover/rain tray removal, fans, rear exit grills, etc, have led to a debate about the direction of airflow through the bay....

Here is a pic of an X1/9 doing what I think you are talking about. This is one of my work desktop backgrounds.
Bertone-Fiat_X1_9_mp342_pic_85170.jpg

Here is a pic of an X1/9 doing what I think you are talking about.
I don't think that is quite what I envisioned.

For the rear lip idea, I was thinking a small longitudinal band across the back edge of the top that directs some airflow downward. Along the general lines of this, but more refined, smaller, and sculpted to the X's top (see arrows):

Carbon-Fiber-FRP-Top-Roof-Spoiler-Wing-Lip-Fit-For-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-02-07.jpg

And for the "B" pillar scoops, I'm referring to this aspect of the RS2000, added to the sides of the X's targa bar:

ford-rs200-evolution-1986.jpg

This is one of my work desktop backgrounds
I've seen that pic, great car. If you look at the rear pillars, it has a plexi rear window that extends back over part of the engine bay (red arrow). That works in combination with the large roof scoop. The air is brought from the top and into the extended rear cover to direct it over the engine (lime arrow). Very effective for bringing cool air to the engine bay, but a bit too much for what I had in mind.

Bertone-Fiat_X1_9_mp342_pic_85170.jpg

I like Dr. Jeffs and AKimball92 ideas so worked out a little sketch. Maybe extending the B pillars like the icsunonove and adding a stratos style wing to direct some air down and then remake the engine cover with some louvers.

x_wing and louvers_sm.jpg

Found this one off Miura targa. This looks like ideas that would work on the X. two sides scoops on the pillars maybe some louvers between? Also I was wondering how to get more air over the radiator and this would also make an elegant solution.

lamborghini-miura-roadster.jpg
lamborghini-miura-roadster2.jpg

The Miura is one of my all time favorite cars. I have a bunch of photos I took of various design details that I love about it. Even on the stock version, those side scoops are terrific. I think they could be incorporated into the X's stock B-pillar/targa bar.

I posted a bunch of different side scoops styles I like from other great car designs in the referenced "design" thread. Many of them are located down lower on the side panels, especially on more modern models, but some are up on the piller. However those typically have long rearward extending pillars, with more panel space for a big scoop running horizontally. For the X I'd prefer to keep it shorter and have the scoops more vertical.

If you built a lengthened rear extension for the X's B-pillar ("fastback" look), how about a clear cover in between them over the engine? I have some good examples of that on various supercars...great look.

I’ll just post these picture
I'd love to see how that red car turns out. The pillar scoop (yellow arrow) is exactly what we've been referring to, but the large side scoop (black arrow) has been the primary topic in the other "design" thread.

5AE3D694-B94B-4962-ADFF-1D3643B242BB.jpg

no results on google, maube I found it on facebook or instagram, they aren’t connected to google I think.

The Miura is one of my all time favorite cars. I have a bunch of photos I took of various design details that I love about it. Even on the stock version, those side scoops are terrific. I think they could be incorporated into the X's stock B-pillar/targa bar.

I like them also - I don't see any way of making scoops in the targa sail unless you widen the whole side of the car to get the lines to flow, which appears to be what is going on with the red X on the dolly. Not sure about the way they have had to bring the extension all the way from the back of the front fenders to get it to flow - would need o see more overall pics from various angles. After a point, it's just not an X anymore. Dallara is already borderline IMO - but does retain enough of the stock panel lines to keep the "feel" of an X.

I don't see any way of making scoops in the targa sail unless you widen the whole side of the car
I haven't tried any cardboard mock-ups or anything to see, but I'm thinking the scoops could come out to the sides as they come down and then curve back toward the body as they reach the quarter panels. Sort of like this:

ring-brothers-adrnln-10 - Copy.jpg

Or maybe don't try to sculpt it into the body lines, and make it a 'add-on' performance scoop. Something like this:

058 - Copy.JPG
059 - Copy.JPG

This is what I am thnking. I would like to keep it kind of classic looking. The Miura targa has the scoops coming out fairly far but still come back in to a narrow body Miura. I think like the Targa Miura the fastback look can be achieved by making them an add on not integrated into the body. I would be out in the garage scanning and taking better photos but it is -32 in there today.

Back