What to do with the roof? What has been done?

This is what I am thnking. I would like to keep it kind of classic looking. The Miura targa has the scoops coming out fairly far but still come back in to a narrow body Miura. I think like the Targa Miura the fastback look can be achieved by making them an add on not integrated into the body. I would be out in the garage scanning and taking better photos but it is -32 in there today.
also offtopic :D - here in Latvia in January is -20 to -40 degrees. But it is +5C. :)

So I think the side scoops could be made to work with an extension of the pillar to a bit of a fast back. It could follow the natural lines of the b pillar. I may refine it a bit to have a bit more contrasting black like the targa Muria.

sc_color_SM_.jpg

I am liking this enough that i will be making up some sort of prototype. The engine swap that I hope to pull of will involve ITBs so i will need some extra height. Extending the scoops and having some sort of Smoke plexiglass louvers would provide a lot of extra room and air into the engine bay.

x__-- sidevew_scoops_sm.jpg

I might be confusing another make of car (I'm very involved with a few different vehicles and forums), but I think I recall seeing a picture of a X with an extended roofline or "fastback", along those general lines.

Regarding the height of the engine cover. I also need to have more clearance on top for my horizontally mounted intercooler. I plan to make a custom cover with a raised section to give the room I need. I will use a mesh metal material for the raised section to allow maximum air/heat transfer. The example shown below is a rough idea of what I'm talking about, but I haven't decided on how I'll do mine (this one is too bulky):

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault (1).jpg

Another member made a one-piece rear cover with a slightly raised section over the engine:
IMG_20160414_191728261_zpszqnjsydn.jpg

Here is a different approach to a fastback X. It has a RX7 type rear window (a bit difficult to see, it is raised):
136693X19086.jpg

That idea is a little like the Porsche Targas:
001.jpg

And here is someone's photoshop look at a "chopped" targa bar. It looks like they extended the pillar back some:
Fiat X19 big brakes added.jpg

This would not fit your scoop idea, but I like the concept of the rear extensions:
4 (1).jpg

The second to the last photo has quite a rake to the windshield. That is one thing on the X that gives it's age away. Now, almost all cars seem to have an extreme rake to the windshield.

Hey Bob, if you don't mind I'd like to add some of your images to the thread I have on X1/9 style and modifications (I linked it earlier in this thread). Lately I haven't keep up that other one too much, so I need to add to it. The intent is to eventually cover all aspects of X style/design customization. I still have lots of ideas and images to include, but I'm currently trying to accomplish as much work on my projects before the heat hits here again.

Hey Bob, if you don't mind I'd like to add some of your images to the thread I have on X1/9 style and modifications (I linked it earlier in this thread). Lately I haven't keep up that other one too much, so I need to add to it. The intent is to eventually cover all aspects of X style/design customization. I still have lots of ideas and images to include, but I'm currently trying to accomplish as much work on my projects before the heat hits here again.

Go ahead. I still have to address what I will do with the roof but most likely a CF skin on the inside and A CF skin on the outside. Once I start shaping the scoops in real life I imagine the roof line will sort its self out.

The Miura is one of my all time favorite cars. I have a bunch of photos I took of various design details that I love about it. Even on the stock version, those side scoops are terrific. I think they could be incorporated into the X's stock B-pillar/targa bar.

I posted a bunch of different side scoops styles I like from other great car designs in the referenced "design" thread. Many of them are located down lower on the side panels, especially on more modern models, but some are up on the pillar. However those typically have long rearward extending pillars, with more panel space for a big scoop running horizontally. For the X I'd prefer to keep it shorter and have the scoops more vertical.

If you built a lengthened rear extension for the X's B-pillar ("fastback" look), how about a clear cover in between them over the engine? I have some good examples of that on various supercars...great look.
I think the X1/9 would need a wide body to incorporate B pillar scoops on the side, much like MKMini posted. Although for me those sides look too curve for an X design. It needs more angles and edges somehow. It almost has a early 90s MR2 feel to it. The X1/9 B pillar might just be too vertical to incorp those.

I think the X1/9 would need a wide body to incorporate B pillar scoops on the side, much like MKMini posted. Although for me those sides look too curve for an X design. It needs more angles and edges somehow. It almost has a early 90s MR2 feel to it. The X1/9 B pillar might just be too vertical to incorp those.

More angled than the sketches i have posted?

Neat designing there, Bob. Since you're so talented at it, I was wondering if you could make an adjustment. Where the leading edge of the ducting mimics the lines of the b pillar that creates the two facets. Perhaps it is my perception or the lack of a flat side-on elevation image, it appears to create a "steep" line as it flows back to meet with the stock body. I was curious if you could add part of the b pillar angle change into the top facet, dropping the facet line down more (maybe halfway between the b pillar angle change and the top of the door) so that it flows with the stock lines to the back of the car? The ducting could still extend out however far you desire but create that subtle arch line that flows front to back of the car.

Last edited:
Here is a different approach to a fastback X. It has a RX7 type rear window (a bit difficult to see, it is raised):
View attachment 28576

That idea is a little like the Porsche Targas:
View attachment 28579

And here is someone's photoshop look at a "chopped" targa bar. It looks like they extended the pillar back some:
View attachment 28577

This would not fit your scoop idea, but I like the concept of the rear extensions:
View attachment 28578
I wonder what engine is in the x fastback pic. it is not the 128/type. also the struts are not X struts. only 2 bolts not 3.

Odie

I wonder what engine is in the x fastback pic
Unfortunately I do not know anything about this car, it is only a pic I saw while Googling X1/9 images. But I agree with you that it is not stock, and does not appear to be Fiat even. However the body modifications (with the hatch rear glass) would probably have been done by some sort of specialty coach builder, so the engine swap might have been something related to the overall concept of whomever commissioned the work?

Neat designing there, Bob. Since you're so talented at it, I was wondering if you could make an adjustment. Where the leading edge of the ducting mimics the lines of the b pillar that creates the two facets. Perhaps it is my perception or the lack of a flat side-on elevation image, it appears to create a "steep" line as it flows back to meet with the stock body. I was curious if you could add part of the b pillar angle change into the top facet, dropping the facet line down more (maybe halfway between the b pillar angle change and the top of the door) so that it flows with the stock lines to the back of the car? The ducting could still extend out however far you desire but create that subtle arch line that flows front to back of the car.

Here is another angle from the side. I am following the natural body line but along the rear edge of the trunk. If I was to follow the side of the body it would rise up and look too much like a TR7.

bodyline_sm.jpg

Design is a very personal thing and I don't want to give the impression that I'm attacking your work. I am not fluent with any design software and I was curious about changing lines. I find the shapes you designed intriguing but seem to need more surface development. Only my opinion and nothing else.

Design is a very personal thing and I don't want to give the impression that I'm attacking your work. I am not fluent with any design software and I was curious about changing lines. I find the shapes you designed intriguing but seem to need more surface development. Only my opinion and nothing else.

Not to worry I didn't take it as an attack. These ideas are worked out in sketches and rough 3D. Once I have a scan of the cars back I will be able to refine shapes and mock up parts in plastic and 3D prints. No matter how much you work things out on paper or computer things don't fall into place for me until I am working in real life.

I really envy you guys that know how to use design software to play around like this. What a great way to spend an afternoon. To me a computer is something to fight with and call your kids for help. I would be more of a drawing board, tracing paper and pencils kind of guy.

While we are talking design mods, has anyone ever made a double bubble type targa top for the X? Not really needed for head clearance, just a style thing.

That emerging design reminds me of the Brazilian Dardo body.

My major X1/9 Roof modification idea has been bolting a bicycle fork/wheel mount, but I haven’t done it yet. Like many here, spare X1/9 tops seem plentiful, so no worries to have a play with one for the hell of it.

Back