What to do with the roof? What has been done?

That emerging design reminds me of the Brazilian Dardo body.

My major X1/9 Roof modification idea has been bolting a bicycle fork/wheel mount, but I haven’t done it yet. Like many here, spare X1/9 tops seem plentiful, so no worries to have a play with one for the hell of it.

I have been looking for a second top to play with. Any idea where to pick one up?

I had no idea these existed. I really like the bumpers. I may just have to steal this idea. I have smaller bumperettes underway but was already thinking of making the one piece and closer to the body.

dardo.jpg

No matter how much you work things out on paper or computer things don't fall into place for me until I am working in real life.
Agreed. Especially for me with very limited artistic skills on paper or a computer. I generally develop the basic design in my head with only a couple of very rough sketches (mainly to help me remember what my thoughts were), then proceed directly to mocking up. Often the mock up becomes the final product because I was able to refine it enough in my thoughts. But I prefer the building process so that's where I spend most of my time.

has anyone ever made a double bubble type targa top for the X?
I've always liked the look of double bubble tops. I think it could be a really good design incorporated into a custom X top. Maybe the double bubble concept could even be carried into the engine cover / truck lid area somehow. This isn't a very good example but should give the general idea:

Monterey 09 059 - Copy.JPG

That emerging design reminds me of the Brazilian Dardo body.
Ya, the Dardo is an interesting story worth reading about. The first time I saw a picture of one (the one below) it did not have a label to identify it and I thought someone had done a lot of customization to a actual X1/9. It does have some great features that I think enhance the X's style.

DARDO X19 body.jpg

Ya, the Dardo is an interesting story worth reading about. The first time I saw a picture of one (the one below) it did not have a label to identify it and I thought someone had done a lot of customization to a actual X1/9. It does have some great features that I think enhance the X's style.

View attachment 28649

So is the B pillar extended a bit?

So is the B pillar extended a bit?
If I recall the story, I believe the molds for the main fiberglass body were created from an actual X, so maybe not? The lack of the small vent on the B-pillar may make it appear to be wider than it is? Shaving off little details like that makes things so much cleaner looking, and the subtle difference can really change the whole effect.

On the topic of tops, they seem to gather around X1/9 owners. I probably have rather easy access to a few more spares, but as Carl alluded to somewhere earlier, shipping is the bear due to size (mostly, but in shipping terms they aren’t “light” either).

I've always liked the look of double bubble tops. I think it could be a really good design incorporated into a custom X top.

I'm also planning modifying my top, but not for aesthetical reason, it's because I can't drive with a helmet and the top on. Meaning, I will have to remove the top in the pouring rain to run an autocross, a time trial or do some lapping.

My first project was to do a double bubble à la "Zagato", but I figured it would probably be easier to just fit a scoop over a hole on the top that would leave myself enough space to move my head.

I'm still shopping for the right scoop, maybe 2, to do something symetrical and I'm still wondering if I should have it vented, but with the opening toward the rear and recessed enough so rain won't enter unless the Wind is really blowing from the back of the car.

I had many years to think about it since my car was undergoing some restoration. At first, I was planning to insert the scoop into channels, so I could remove it and still fit the top in the frunk. But then, I eventually settle on the idea of making it permanent and since I'm towing my racing tires in a small trailer, I could fit some hooks to be able to fit my top on the trailer in case I would like to get some sun over the trip.

BTW, I saw a race x19 for sale a few years ago with a scoop on the top.... somebody stole my idea!

I'm still shopping for the right scoop, maybe 2, to do something symetrical
There are some available intended for roof mounting, mostly for race cars. You could mount them reversed if rain is a concern. Here is a quick example of what they typically look like (but this one is quite large):

Monterey 09 068 - Copy.JPG

Did you ever put them into production?
Jovani did offer them for sale, but as far as I know no one bought any. They were a bit pricey. As I recall he made them in solid rubber (pretty heavy) or carbon fiber. Also I think he was able to do the full length (as shown) or split short style (like early European ones). Haven't heard from him in quite some time though. The link Dan posted explains more.

There are some available intended for roof mounting, mostly for race cars. You could mount them reversed if rain is a concern. Here is a quick example of what they typically look like (but this one is quite large):

View attachment 28669

I guess anything that goes on top of the roof like bubbles would make storage in the Frunk a bit of an issue.

I guess anything that goes on top of the roof like bubbles would make storage in the Frunk a bit of an issue.
I've never measured how much clearance there is above the top when it is stored in the frunk. I'd guess there might be a little room for shallow bubbles, but not likely too much. I wonder if it could be possible to rework the securing mounts allowing the top to be stored upside down? That might give more room for bubbles or scoops? Again, I've never looked at it close enough to know.

What if you made the bubbles removable and store them under the top? You could probably nest the bubbles together so they could both fit.

I've never measured how much clearance there is above the top when it is stored in the frunk. I'd guess there might be a little room for shallow bubbles, but not likely too much. I wonder if it could be possible to rework the securing mounts allowing the top to be stored upside down? That might give more room for bubbles or scoops? Again, I've never looked at it close enough to know.

Might be able to lower the securing mounts closer to the battery down a bit to make some room.

I don't see storage on the car as an issue. If you are doing an "event" and are wearing a helmet then the top stays on, even when driving to the event. If it's not something requiring a helmet then I gather a normal top is just fine.

Back