Serie Speciale Fender Badge

Andrew, I am very detail oriented when it comes to the stickers I make. Most of the reproduction stickers I've seen don't have the correct fonts. I have taken at least two dozen font files and tweaked the letters to match original fonts as best as possible. I am happy to make a template for anyone to use. Here's what I have so far. I am not very happy with the Bertone signature. The red box is the cut line for the sticker. The numbers are not quite right, but they are close. I will have to tweak the font file for them.

View attachment 27603

As for that plate, I've been going back and forth with a guy in the UK that does one-off ID plates. He is an exceptionally nice guy. My project is being held by me finding the right size rivets. His name is Carl. Send him an email with the picture and the dimensions. He'll quote you a price.

https://vinplatetag.co.uk/?v=7516fd43adaa

My apologies for picking a nit: the 3 is rotated and raised even higher than the 9. Typographically the 0, 3 and 9 should all be at the same base height, the 7 should be just slightly raised in comparison to the ‘round’ based numbers.

They make my eyes hurt...

My apologies for picking a nit: the 3 is rotated and raised even higher than the 9. Typographically the 0, 3 and 9 should all be at the same base height, the 7 should be just slightly raised in comparison to the ‘round’ based numbers.

They make my eyes hurt...

I only do things one way and that is to match the originals as closely as possible. The images I posted have the numbers offset, just like the originals.

@Greg (in Conn) can you please verify the background color on those stickers. It looks grey to me, but I've seen mention that it is actually a matte silver.
matte silver.
lighting is key.

ssilver.jpg
ssilver2.jpg
0397.PNG

Sadly you are correct. Gaaahh. Oh well, OE is OE :)

My apologies for my picayune behavior.

Hey Brian, Awesome work so far on the decals for the X (Series 3 ones too). I'd be keen on a set or a template for the SS decals, as both of mine are missing them too...definitely following this with interest.

@wildcat_lgf I am waiting to hear from someone in Australia. The silver background is going to be an issue. I don't think it's something that modern digital printers can reproduce. Once I hear back, I will be moving forward with creating the files.

Are your cars Australian delivered cars?

Thanks Brian for your attention to detail. The X community is better off for it! My X's are listed as new in NZ - but most likely actually came via the UK. A previous X of mine (10years ago) had a UK flag on the label, so I'm basing my assumption on that...and also just found this reference about most X's being 'grey imports' on the AU website: http://www.x19.com.au/new-zealand-x19.html

@wildcat_lgf I am waiting to hear from someone in Australia. The silver background is going to be an issue. I don't think it's something that modern digital printers can reproduce. Once I hear back, I will be moving forward with creating the files.

I was just looking at the ControlTac info as it peaked my interest...is the CT 180Cv2-120 Aluminium colour close to the original silver? And then you'd presumably print the colours overtop of the silver base (I might be showing my ignorance here?)?
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/790863O/colorcard-180cv2.pdf

Thanks Brian!!! Sorry I didnt get back to this thread since it started. I am trying to keep to one project consuming my mind at a time. Lately its been a vintage radio console for a christmas gift... fun hobby to pick up.

Your work looks great. The vinyl sticker is a lot more economical and I too will need to jump on one when you get a good quote. How are you setting up the number selections?

I was just looking at the ControlTac info as it peaked my interest...is the CT 180Cv2-120 Aluminium colour close to the original silver? And then you'd presumably print the colours overtop of the silver base (I might be showing my ignorance here?)?
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/790863O/colorcard-180cv2.pdf

@wildcat_lgf I've never had one of these in my hands, so I do not have a reference.

I have had experience with two types of inks, solvent based and UV. Both inks are applied my like our home ink jet printers. The solvent based inks will sort of melt into the vinyl. UV inks, lay on top and are cured by a UV light. They come out of the printer dry. Solvent based inks need a bit of time to cure and degas. The printer I am using now uses a UV printer. The quality and clarity of all of the details are perfect. Neither ink has pigment in them. So, they some transparency.

I've not had any experience with the aluminum color Controltac. Most printers won't stock this because it's expensive and there is not much demand. Most printers stock the white.

Thanks Brian!!! Sorry I didnt get back to this thread since it started. I am trying to keep to one project consuming my mind at a time. Lately its been a vintage radio console for a christmas gift... fun hobby to pick up.

Your work looks great. The vinyl sticker is a lot more economical and I too will need to jump on one when you get a good quote. How are you setting up the number selections?

@AKimball92, thank you for the kudos. I will not be printing them. I will only be supplying a file for you to have printed.

Back