Changing rear factory speakers

Mike Schofield

True Classic
Just changed my old crackling speakers with some that were on sale. I believe they’re 2 way speakers but sound 100% better than before. I wanted to keep the factory look so naturally some easy mods were done.
The studs were too short so I just added a nut and bolt to extend the length. Then had to trim the excess length and head so that the assembly would sit in the factory recess. I’ll have to get some longer screws to attach the cage to the ledge (didn’t have any with black heads on hand) other than that, easy peasy!
FYI the positive wire is the blue one.

Attachments

• 3329A1A7-57E8-4E4D-9C67-03A079932EAD.jpeg
    3329A1A7-57E8-4E4D-9C67-03A079932EAD.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 319
  • A4B72CE8-3B2B-43C5-9F79-82A43EC4D550.jpeg
    A4B72CE8-3B2B-43C5-9F79-82A43EC4D550.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 304
  • 28555DC2-AC09-4904-A16C-DC8E3CE4597A.jpeg
    28555DC2-AC09-4904-A16C-DC8E3CE4597A.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 307
  • B6C6B191-23A5-4095-97AA-955157C726D3.jpeg
    B6C6B191-23A5-4095-97AA-955157C726D3.jpeg
    109.3 KB · Views: 295
  • F19D01F4-1644-491F-A91C-315009A95CCA.jpeg
    F19D01F4-1644-491F-A91C-315009A95CCA.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 295
  • CD0B3828-6A5B-403B-9F3E-74AA20F92565.jpeg
    CD0B3828-6A5B-403B-9F3E-74AA20F92565.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 295
  • 2030205C-11D5-4EC5-A5C3-829524111616.jpeg
    2030205C-11D5-4EC5-A5C3-829524111616.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 302
  • AE2D5391-1DB5-4B9B-93C9-CE0FE9CBA688.jpeg
    AE2D5391-1DB5-4B9B-93C9-CE0FE9CBA688.jpeg
    172.3 KB · Views: 302
Nice. Look like the same basic Pioneers I added years ago - someone on here had recommended them. Nice that you still have the grilles - mine were long gone when I acquired the car :(

What size are those speakers? I had been thinking about adding rear speakers but was wondering if there was room for anything decent sounding. My car came with a spot for only one speaker on the passenger side of the dash. I ended up installing a pair of 6.5 inch two ways in the kick panels that sound good but I wouldn't mind getting some sound from the rear, especially since the electronics are already there.

Here are my speakers mounted in the kick panel:

1974 X19 right kick panel speaker.jpg

They are mounted on a sheet of particle board screwed into the body. To accommodate the large magnets, I cut a hole in the sheet metal for them to pass through. Here is a view from above:

1974 X19 Stereo Installation.jpg

Did the later years have cut outs in the sheet metal for the rear 4" x 6" speakers? I don't think I ever noticed any on mine so I would need to cut them. Probably would have been much easier if I did this before putting the gas tank back in.

My exxe is an 82 and had from the factory two 4x6’s installed with screens etc... For me it was a simple swap.
Your install looks super clean! My taste has always been the “stock modified” look. The 6.5’s probably have a really nice sound too! Jealous!! Going from the stock 37 year old speakers to modern 4x6-2 way speakers, it’s night and day!

I also love the black shift knob. I recently changed mine to that style. In my opinion, black with white numbers is the essential Italian shift knob. IMO of course...

Those speakers were installed in 1980 and replaced an earlier set I installed in 1974. For 39 years old, they still sound good. I am sure there must be better sounding ones available today in that size - maybe a future project.

Thread revival. Since I'm fixing up various interior details (whilst waiting for my pedal box pivot shaft & bush :D )Has anyone found decent covers for 4x6 that actually fit the shelf? Don't really want to make my own from scratch :(

I have a set of stock ones if that is what you are looking for. I'd have to pull them out to check the condition, really don't recall offhand.

Thank you , Jeff

I actually have no idea what stock ones look like at all :D

If you have them & really don't need them, I would be interested. I'm going to be in Vegas (89123) visiting my Aunt in April, if a meet is possible

I actually have no idea what stock ones look like at all
I'm not certain if they are all the same, but the ones in both of my X's were very simple rectangular, flat metal grills. I'll start looking for them. Please remind me if I don't get back to you in a couple days - I tend to forget things these days. :oops:

A meet up would be great.

I haven't checked in about 35 years but are there any decent sounding 4' x 6' speakers out there now?

God only knows. I put mine in when I got the car 13 years ago - I hardly ever listen to the stereo, so I'm not a good judge. I just am tired of looking at them :D

are there any decent sounding 4' x 6' speakers out there now
Good question. For that matter, decent sounding speakers in any size?

Many years ago I was really into sound systems (home and auto) and followed the developments closely. But I haven't kept up with it for ages. So when I wanted some 6.5" rounds for the kick-panels I did what I usually never do - I looked at a bunch of online reviews to make my decision. However at this point in life I'm more like Huss said, my interests are mostly for occasional background noise rather than all out high fidelity. So I really just wanted "decent" speakers at a decent price. I went with some from Polk Audio. They weren't necessarily the top rated, but still high up on the list and by far the best value for the price (the ones rather higher get WAY more expensive). Unfortunately I can't report on their sound yet because I'm still building the car. And I don't know how their 4X6's rate. But I think they might be a good place to start looking. Interested in hearing what is found.

The pioneer 2 way 4x6’s I put in (pictured above) are more than adequate. Nice clear mid and high with good bass. I’ve also purchased some 6.5” pioneer 2 way rounds that I plan on installing in the kick plate area. 3 way are better but for about $36 Canadian, I can’t really go wrong.

When I got my car from the dealer, the only thing related to sound was the plastic speaker grill in front of the passenger. That was actually on purpose. The stereos they were putting in X1/9s then were these crap AM/FM radios that required them to cut a hole in the middle of the dash and put a cheesy plastic cover over the mess. They would then install really poor 4" speakers by putting holes in the door card. None of the cars back then had the rear speaker sheet metal punched out for the 4" x 6" speakers and the dealers didn't bother either (I think if I added these to mine, I might have to drop the gas tank to cut the driver side opening). They would top the installation off with a cheap antenna on the passenger A pillar.

I ended up going the 6.5" kick panel route but I've got a pair of 6" x 9" three way Pioneers from my old Volvo that I might see if I can shoehorn in there.

Good question. For that matter, decent sounding speakers in any size?

Many years ago I was really into sound systems (home and auto) and followed the developments closely. But I haven't kept up with it for ages. So when I wanted some 6.5" rounds for the kick-panels I did what I usually never do - I looked at a bunch of online reviews to make my decision. However at this point in life I'm more like Huss said, my interests are mostly for occasional background noise rather than all out high fidelity. So I really just wanted "decent" speakers at a decent price. I went with some from Polk Audio. They weren't necessarily the top rated, but still high up on the list and by far the best value for the price (the ones rather higher get WAY more expensive). Unfortunately I can't report on their sound yet because I'm still building the car. And I don't know how their 4X6's rate. But I think they might be a good place to start looking. Interested in hearing what is found.
My audio interests followed a similar path. A couple of months ago, I decided to hook up some of my ancient audio equipment so I could listen to some old tapes (reel to reel and cassette), and records (too cold to work on the car). Since the new home theater receivers don't know what to do with a tape deck or analog turntable, I just hooked all the old stuff up to an old preamp and ran the preamp output to the home theater receiver. I thought it sounded pretty good. It was like the way I used to listen before there was digital music. Excellent fidelity complete with clicks and pops from the record or hiss from the tape.

When I got my car from the dealer, the only thing related to sound was the plastic speaker grill in front of the passenger. That was actually on purpose. The stereos they were putting in X1/9s then were these crap AM/FM radios that required them to cut a hole in the middle of the dash and put a cheesy plastic cover over the mess. They would then install really poor 4" speakers by putting holes in the door card. None of the cars back then had the rear speaker sheet metal punched out for the 4" x 6" speakers and the dealers didn't bother either (I think if I added these to mine, I might have to drop the gas tank to cut the driver side opening). They would top the installation off with a cheap antenna on the passenger A pillar.

I ended up going the 6.5" kick panel route but I've got a pair of 6" x 9" three way Pioneers from my old Volvo that I might see if I can shoehorn in there.

Back in 2003, we had the interior of the 79 done (at a vocational school), and in the process, had them mount Kicker 4x10s in the rear deck. The guy we talked to said he knew about X1/9s, so we thought great! However, they left the tank in place, and the guy that cut the rear deck sheet metal used a Sawzall. After a few cuts, the Sawzall cut through the tank and lit off the little bit of gas that was in the tank. Scared the crap out of the guy doing the cutting (and the other guys in the shop, including the instructor) and burned his hands a bit, but that was about all. Although the car isn't finished yet, we hooked up the stereo, including the subwoofer, and the 4x10s sound great.

Back