Re-torquing the Head Bolts

Tavalin

Florida Mike (again)
Now that the X1/9 is running, I will have to re-torque that head bolts. They are 17mm bolts from MWB. I would love it if I didn’t have to remove the valve cover and valve box to do this. However, I am unable to find a 17mm (or a close 11/16) offset wrench for a socket (torque wrench). I am able to find just about every size except what I need.
Please help with alternatives methods.
Mike

3/4 is effectively 19mm, 11/16 is effectively 17mm (17.46) a trifle loose

Others have spindled and mutilated a 17mm wrench to make the desired bends and welded on a 1/2” square to drive it with a torque wrench.

I made my own. How many miles do you have on it ? I waited 800 miles (link).

MWB-supplied head bolts have a different torque sequence than stock bolts, so check with them on retorque spec.

If you want to borrow mine, just cover shipping & return promptly. I'm not in the habit of lending tools. Message me.

EDIT: I do need to recheck they are 17mm - I had remade them when I switched head bolts

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Last edited:
The head bolts I got from MWB do not require retorqueing. They look like 124 head bolts which likewise do not require retorquing. Maybe you should check wit MWB on this point.

The head bolts I got from MWB do not require retorqueing. They look like 124 head bolts which likewise do not require retorquing. Maybe you should check wit MWB on this point.
Carl,
The info paper that came with the MWB bolts said to retorque after a certain amount of miles. Not home so I can’t remember off the top of my head what the suggested mileage is.
Just want to be safe and retorque than to not retorque and have a failure.
I am going to research this more and see what alternatives are out there for 17mm / 11/16th size offset. There has to be something out there.
Mike

I made my own. How many miles do you have on it ? I waited 800 miles (link).

MWB-supplied head bolts have a different torque sequence than stock bolts, so check with them on retorque spec.

If you want to borrow mine, just cover shipping & return promptly. I'm not in the habit of lending tools. Message me.

EDIT: I do need to recheck they are 17mm - I had remade them when I switched head bolts

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg
Those look awesome!!! Perfect for what we need.
I will keep you posted, thank you.
Mike

I bought one of these from Steve Ceccelli for just the one job. Worked perfectly.
Hybridfiat,
That looks good. Pricy for a little tool but will save me from using a lot of colorful metaphors. I will try and find one online.
Mike

Taking the recommendations I purchased this tool. I hope it is the same as the Snap On tool. I just need it maybe a couple of times but it will be there if needed.
Mike
0816F1B0-DED2-47B9-B708-70B5C7FA8D66.png

If this is a one time event, maybe someone here can lend you their tool. Sadly I don't have one to lend.

If you are using a modern FelPro head gasket you don't need to retorque the bolts. I have never retorqued the bolts (only OE studs/bolts on carb'ed motors) and have never had an issue. This includes my race motors that are much more highly stressed than most any normally aspirated street motor.

Back