A funny moment but a bit dark in these times

kmead

Old enough to know better
Today I ventured out to a local home store called Menards to pick up some parts for a leaking faucet. The place is huge and they are always playing music, much of it from the 90s and early 2k period to not offend anyone.

I was wandering looking at all the other things when I really became aware of the words of the song playing overhead:

It's the end of the world as we know it (I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)
I feel fine (I feel fine)
It's the end of the world as we know it (time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it (time I had some time alone)
It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine (time I had some time alone)
Yeah that was a fun moment, I am sure some folks thought I was crazy walking along smirking and suppressing a laugh like Fauci behind the Donald. One wonders what the algorithm was that allowed that song to go out or is it a real popular song right now?

:)

Fun times, fun times.

Karl

local home store called Menards
Regional, maybe, but local?
IMG_0129.JPG

They were into big-time racing 15 years ago...

I was surprised to see that transporter at first, but it made sense, since an airport was already a fairly secure area even then.

Karl, at least you can still go shopping. Our state is one of those that has mandated all "non-essential" business to close for a month (if not longer). I get a laugh at what is considered "essential" though, like fast food chains. I always get sick from eating at those places absent of any virus outbreak. I suppose the people that work there have already built up an immunity to any/all viruses, so no risk for them. I also got a good laugh when I went grocery shopping. Apparently the public thinks there will suddenly be a global shortage of food due to the illness. And they are hoarding certain food items. But the shelves that were completely empty were things like snacks - chips, cookies, candy - while the fresh produce was fully stocked. Tells you a lot about the American diet.

Most things are either closed or curb service. Even Best Buy.

Many of the Starbucks have closed despite them being drive through only.

The home repair stores so far have remained open, hard for them to be anything but self serve. We shall see for how much longer.

Just watch TV and they were saying the only business authorized to stay open in Quebec starting now are groceries, drugstore and Société des alcools du Québec, which is akind of government owned chain of liquors store...o_O Also, schools will not open before May 1st.

That's funny, not only the fact that your government owns a chain of liquor stores, but they remain open despite requiring all other stores to close.

That's funny, not only the fact that your government owns a chain of liquor stores, but they remain open despite requiring all other stores to close.
In Québec, the government have a monopoly in what concern alcohol. You either have to buy from Société des alcools du Québec or get some wine in groceries or convenience store.

I had the same reaction when I heard they were going to stay open. Why in the world? If you are an alcoholic, this is the right time to stop. In my case, as long as there is some diet coke on the shelves, I could survive.

Does your government also have a monopoly on tobacco? And are they the head of the illicit drug cartel? How about prostitution? Afterall, most governments are corrupt, so why shouldn't they operate like the mafia? :p

Nobody know why, but in Latvia in two days was sold out buckwheat, and of course toilet paper :D
But stores are full again of that.

Here mostly everything is closed after 23:00. A lot of places are closed till this ends. Few places have already bankrupted . Totally about 1700 people are fired this far from 1.8 million population.

Capital is silent and empty of people as in midsummer celebrations.

Schools ,gyms,Pubs Restaurants, bars and some shops are closed, a reduced metro service has seen the carriages crowded so keeping 6ft away from another commuter is impossible today.
Supermarkets have designated times for health workers and the elderly think we must be on the 350
Deaths in the UK...
Please read the emergency procedures in the pocket in front of you and the emergency exits are here here and here yes are international airports are still open but a reduced service
If you have not got mask and gloves think ahead also remember to clean your hands regularly .
"London yes but its life but not as we know it"
Stay safe.

Nobody know why, but in Latvia in two days was sold out buckwheat
That's funny. I can only imagine people thought they would not be able to buy any supplies for a long time and figured with that they could still bake bread or something. I also noticed some very odd things that were empty on the grocery store shelves, that did not make sense to me. Apparently people get into a panic mode and just buy what is in front of them.

This whole thing is bring out the worst in some people. Today I saw a guy walking along talking loudly to everyone around him, like one of those sidewalk preachers. But he wasn't talking about god. He was saying everyone should be panicking and start robbing, looting, killing, etc, just to survive. And how this is the fault of the rich, and how companies are doing it on purpose to screw the public. Most of his words did not even make sense. Unfortunately there are a lot of mentally ill people in this city, but he was very specific about the virus pandemic issue - which is different from the usual screaming profanities at everyone while waving their arms wildly.

I love Menards! I usually go to the one on 59 and I94 when I head over to Michigan for meetings. (I guess that's in Warren?)

We'll get through this - to do my part, I donated to Daily Bread Food Bank here in Canada (unfortunately people are going to need help due to all of the closures/lay offs) and I'm staying PUT! 100% social distancing!! :)

Jeff, my mom remembers growing up in post WW2 Europe. In her secluded corner of a po-dunk village, they were still rationing flour and sugar almost two years after the wars end. Last week, she procured a 50 lb bag of flour. Coming from a family business of bakers, she's quite adept at baking almost anything. Mom, we don't need 20 loaves of bread today...

Last week, she procured a 50 lb bag of flour.
Ya, my 95 year old mom is pretty nervous about this whole pandemic. Not for fear of getting sick, but of not being able to buy needed essentials. I guess it must bring back memories of the great depression era for her.

Back