my Project X track car update

GregS

ProjectX
I finished making and fitted a boot lid spoiler to my light weight track X on the week end. It might be a while before I get to try it on a track again though. I thought I may as well post some extra pics of some of the details that make this X a bit different from a standard one. The car is used for circuit sprints and the occasional hill climb, engine is still 1500, 5 speed, about 135hp at the flywheel, all opening panels are light weight, total about 700kg, 0-100kph (62mph) about 6.3 secs. There is a long write up from way back here https://t124.com/forum/forum/fiat-fans/fiat-fans-aa/14314-track-day-x1-9
rear spoiler.jpg
spoiler -side.jpg
side shot.jpg
front quarter.jpg
dash.jpg
engine.jpg
plenum.jpg
engine cover.jpg
radiator.jpg
hood hinge.jpg
hood vents.jpg
headlight etc.jpg
seats.jpg

The side stripe is reminding me I really need to get going on the Dallara stripes - they help break up the overwhelming red-all-over look :D

Super cool car!
Lots of interesting details.

do you have some pics of the dashboard?

How horrible is it to drive in terms of rattles and vibrations compared to a stock X?
We all dream of lightening our street cars like that...

Yes, very good looking project. Lots of excellent fabrication work. Nicely done, I'll have to review the link to your build on the other site.

EDIT: Just took a quick look at the linked site. None of the photo links work for me. Is it possible to host them here as well? Thanks.

Nice build! The car looks awesome. Most of all I like the spoiler, hood and rear duct.
Interesting story as well, and you got me inspired to keep my spare1500 dual 40 DCNF engine. I will find myself a project car once I am ready with my Uno Turbo build. A carbed 100% racer would be fun.

Last edited:
It looks like the photo links on T124 forum only work now when logged in, sorry. I will add a few more here but most are covered in this thread. Ulix asked about rattles and vibrations- I don't find it too bad, especially with the roof off, the suspension is not as stiff as most race cars, too much fun to worry about comfort.

Attachments

• image_28780.jpg
    image_28780.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 276
  • image_28779.jpg
    image_28779.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 274
  • image_28782.jpg
    image_28782.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 263
  • image_28776.jpg
    image_28776.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 263
  • air duct.jpg
    air duct.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 175
  • air intake.jpg
    air intake.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 196
  • ready for alloy skin.jpg
    ready for alloy skin.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 166
If I understand, your airbox isn't bolted to the carbs but bolted to the firewall and the horns (trumpets) are encased in some soft rubber. Do I get it? I maybe going to follow the same route if I find there is not enough air circulating in the trunk.

The airbox is very light and is basically just sitting on 2 thick foam pads and located by the foam around the trumpets and the flex tube to the air filter. It does have 2 small screws into a thin pad stuck to the top of the foam support pads just to make it a bit more secure. The carbies and trumpets are so close to the cross member I couldn't come up with a better way and still allow for the engine movement.

Back