Ripping out vinly trim in interior

carl

True Classic
Since my interior is pretty much stripped of all street components, I'm thinking of ripping out the black vinyl trim on the gas tank cover, rear deck and around the rear window. I assume it all pulls out without too much pain but like confirmation from anyone who has done this. How about any adhesive residue left on the metal?

There is a gorilla-snot glue used to bond the edges of the vinyl. Can't remember what dissolves the dark yellow boogers, but one of the readily available Mineral Spirits / Enamel reducer / Laquer thinner types should do it.

From what I remember, it is not glued all over. It' mostly held in place by the surrounding. It was easy enough to remove to change from one car to another.

Oh goody, my next silly project to fight off boredom. But I'll have to get Goof-Off by mail as the boss says I can't stroll into any store...have to use driveup windows and I don't think Ace does that.

Not long ago I removed all of that from two X's. There were subtle differences from each other in how things were attached, but for the most part it was a mix of glue in spots, things tucked into crevices in spots, a couple of those metal bent over tabs, some small screws, other stuff sandwiching over it in places, etc. A bit of a nuisance overall but not terribly difficult. The cardboard backing got damaged getting certain parts out. And the backing was actually corroded onto the underlying metal in places, making it a pain. There will be some clean up work after you get it all out. And I found some unsightly holes. Depending on the condition of your vinyl and how much rusted metal there is underneath, it might be a trade off which looks better - with or without it.

I like to complicate projects so I didn't mention that the rollbar is in there and I'll have to remove that. Also, the car was originally orange so all that metal I expose has to be painted red to match the rest of the car....not like I have anything else to do.

Roll bar is out, not nearly as hard as installing that turkey. Started pulling the vinyl out.

IMG_1462[2].JPG

Got the vinyl off the sides and top of the targa bar and that left a lot of foam stuck on the metal.
IMG_1463[1].JPG
IMG_1464[2].JPG

So now I get to see what in my garage can get the foam/adhesive off (wife won't let me drive to any store).
After that's all removed I'll paint the orange surfaces red with a brush, Rustoleum flows nice so brush strokes won't be there when dry.

Yes, the roll bar is bolted in and now it's sitting on the garage floor. I found that brake cleaner converts the glue to it's original snot feel and I can literally roll it off the metal. This should only take about a month to do, especially while working upside down on the bottom surface of the targa bar. I try to get as much of the foam off as I can first. I thought of using a wire wheel on the drill but realize it would make a mess of the paint.

Worth a try, always worked well for removing pin stripe tape, in my case my wife's hair dryer and my fingernails.

Check the kitchen, should be able to find something to use to scrape off the goo. Just remember to toss it in the neighbors trash when you are done.

Ace should be a pretty low risk place to go. Particularly when the parking lot is pretty empty. Big store, few people and helpful staff to take you to where you go. Ask your wife to make you a nice face mask, I can send you the YouTube my wife made ours from.

Wife is pretty adamant, I can't go in any store. Our Ace does not have a big foot print and is usually quite busy...even with a Home Depot not far away.
Wife won't even let our kids and grandkids in the house. Three old people (my 98 year old mother lives with us) and my immune disease means we are prime victims.

Anyway, crap is removed and first layer of red paint on.

IMG_1468[2].JPG

Your wife is right.

As we all value you, we won’t let you go out either.

Though we have not met, and I clearly cannot profess to ‘know you’, I do yearn to actually meet you so please take care.

That's sweet Karl. Just for you, I won't inside any stores.
Seriously, my experience with forums is that if you spend years conversing and then finally meet, you find what you know from the forum is pretty much accurate.

Back