Won't go into any gears, not even reverse

petex19

True Classic
84 X was parked for the winter, five months. I was starting it once every couple of weeks and moving it back and forth in the garage. As luck would have it, on moving day it decides to not want to go into any gears. This has never happened before with reverse or any gears. Car runs perfectly in neutral but will not allow any gears to enter. I can put all gears in when engine is off. I started car in first with clutch pushed in and it jumped forward but started the same.
Checked fluid levels which are perfect and no leaks that I've noticed. So weird how it could happen all at once. I know it's been a long time since I've been on here...life got crazy. Still loving my X 27 years and counting.
-PeteX19

If you start the car in gear, will it want to move forward (or backward if in reverse)? Guess you already looked at the linkage joint (sandwich). Are all engine mounts fine? When you depress the clutch, will it move the slave? (You will need someone to be there with you or pressing the clutch with a long 2x4).

Car runs perfectly in neutral but will not allow any gears to enter. I can put all gears in when engine is off. I started car in first with clutch pushed in and it jumped forward but started the same.
Just a hunch based on what you've said. Sounds like the clutch is not disengaging (disconnecting) when you push the pedal in. So when the engine is running the clutch is still engaged/connected (regardless of pedal position), spinning the trans input shaft. Trying to put it in gear is like trying to do so without using the clutch under normal circumstances - it may eventually drop into a gear if you force it, but damage will likely result. Perhaps the clutch master and/or slave cylinder has gone bad after sitting - not unusual for these cars.

To verify it, do what Daniel said. With the engine off, watch the lever that goes into the top of the trans (between the clutch slave cylinder and the flywheel area) while someone pushes the clutch pedal in and out. If the lever is not moving fully then the clutch is staying engaged (connected) despite the pedal being pushed in. Signs of fluid leaks may help determine if it is the master or slave. But not always. If no signs of leaks, then try bleeding the clutch system before tearing into everything. There might be the remote possibility that a bunch of air got in there. Which also suggests things have gone bad anyway. But it might get you going enough to move the car. Just don't rely on it until you've fully sorted things properly.

If you start the car in gear, will it want to move forward (or backward if in reverse)? Guess you already looked at the linkage joint (sandwich). Are all engine mounts fine? When you depress the clutch, will it move the slave? (You will need someone to be there with you or pressing the clutch with a long 2x4).
No I haven't looked at anything but fluid levels yet. Yes it will jump forward or back if I try starting it in gear. Checking if slave cylinder is moving is easy enough with someone helping me. What am I looking for when looking at the sandwich under the car?

Just looking to see all the bolts are tight and the lollipop assembly is moving correctly. I'm guessing this is a clutch problem and not a shifter problem though.

Linkage check appears to be fine if you can engage all gears with engine not running.

Hydraulics check: as Dr. Jeff noted, with assistant depressing the clutch pedal, do you see the clutch operating arm pivoting and swinging, and does the end of the operating arm where the slave cylinder pushrod pushes on it move about an inch+? If so, hydraulics are fine.

Most likely situation: clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel. Solution: ignition off; with a helper or two, engage first gear, depress clutch pedal then have helpers push car. This puts natural engine compression to work against the stuck clutch disc. Easier on the components that trying to use the starter to break it free.

Clutch slave/lever arm looks like this (random pic found online). It should be moving like the arrow when the pedal is depressed:
14705345342_78d09903d4_z.jpg

Most likely situation: clutch disc is stuck to the flywheel.
For some reason at first I was thinking that would be the opposite - stuck in a dis-engaged position. But Dan is right, that can have the same effect - stuck in the engaged position. So this is a very likely possibility. Honestly I've never had a stuck clutch disk so no experience with it.

If you cant find someone to help, i have used my phone to take a video by setting in a position to get the movement. Plus you can post the vid here for further diagnosis

Odie

Looks like a hydraulic problem or related to the pressure plate/clutch engagment. I'm guessing you looses some pressure at the clutch MC or slave.

With the rear of the car on jack stands, I would start it in 1st gear. Like you said, the car is wanting to move forward. I would leave the wheels spinning in the air, then after a couple of minutes, I will try to shift in second. It may free the clutch from the flywheel if that is the case. If the problem is hydraulic, you won't even be able to engage second. You said you already checked the fluid level. Try pumping the clutch pedal a few time to see if something happen.

It's been many years since this happened in my son's 74X. Googling stuck clutch jogged my memory. This is how I fixed it last time only this time car is in garage and reverse would be the go to gear unless I can do it on jack stands. I live on a gravel road now so pushing it to road isn't an option either. Basically exactly as some of you have mentioned but using a high gear like 4th.

Attachments

• Capture+_2020-05-24-19-14-09.png
    Capture+_2020-05-24-19-14-09.png
    426.9 KB · Views: 56
Problem fixed...on jack stands didn't do it so I started car in reverse to get to the road. Then a few starts in gear freed it up. All is great again.

Back