milan1951

True Classic
Overwhelmed at the task of trying to figure out where the cable needs to run in a dark, space with little room to move without loosing skin on hands.
Anyone had the same problem in getting window to run smoothly up and down. New runners, some lubricant. Haynes workshop manual not much help regarding.
Had thought of replacing with later model Bosch electric windows if a template for mounting it was available as was suggested by Midwest FIAT.

The window regulator job is seriously frustrating. I’ve done it several times, always try to do one side at a time so that I can use the other side as a reference (but remember that the two sides are mirror-imaged).

For smooth operation, first check that the window moves smoothly in its tracks when completely disconnected from the cable. Then check that the regulator turns the cable smoothly when disconnected from the window (clamps wide open). Only after that do you lock the window to the cable.

If the cable has gone all birds-nest on you, there’s an old post here about how to fix that, lemme know if you need it. But.... try really hard not to have that problem, it’s no fun.

The window regulator job is seriously frustrating. I’ve done it several times, always try to do one side at a time so that I can use the other side as a reference (but remember that the two sides are mirror-imaged).

For smooth operation, first check that the window moves smoothly in its tracks when completely disconnected from the cable. Then check that the regulator turns the cable smoothly when disconnected from the window (clamps wide open). Only after that do you lock the window to the cable.

If the cable has gone all birds-nest on you, there’s an old post here about how to fix that, lemme know if you need it. But.... try really hard not to have that problem, it’s no fun.

EricH

Thanks for advice, will slowly follow it. Yes doing drivers door first. (right side in Australia) Have not even looked at other side yet. Will use other side as reference if working and intact.
Great advice about smooth movement of window in its tracks. Haven't disconnected window yet. May look at the clamps holding window and open them. Then get window moving freely up and down. Something thats not happening now. Worn runners, felts, drinking-lube ?

Cable at this stage is loose and off top pulley. Regulator doesn't spin properly, not sure why. Will investigate with light and light gloves. Skin on hands is precious. Cable has not gone birds-nest yet, but will let you know. Have a complete regulator and cable obtained from Midwest FIAT. Will have to see if its the correct side.

Thanks for advice Eric will keep in touch as my hands venture further into an unenviable task.

1593313517127.png

This is the best diagram i have seen showing the routing print it out on as big a paper and should at least help and these are the official fiat installment instructions

XI/9 WINDOW REGULATOR INSTALLATION -ADJUSTMENT

The attached diagrams show the window regulator cable winding sequence for the right and left door of the XI/9.

Follow instructions below for window regulator installation.

1. DO NOT remove the metal clip securing the cable tight against the drum until the cable has been strung on all the pulleys.

2. Attach the window regulator to the door panel and start the cable on the top front pulley then following the diagram over each pulley in turn. String the cable on the adjustable pulley last.

3. Slightly tension adjustable pulley and remove the metal clip.

4. Working with the adjustable pulley, tighten the cable until all slack is removed.

5. Lubricate the cable and pulley with light grease.

6. Attach the window to the cable checking to see that it has full travel in both directions.

7. Check for free operation of both window and regulator.

Many Thanks Maz124,

Will follow your steps closely and other advice received from this very helpful website. Had seen that diagram downloaded from Greek FIAT X 1/9 club. Have yet to seriously tackle cable job. Armed with torch and gloves will look at cable, pulleys, regulator, window runners and glass holder.
Will let you know how I go on this project.
Great to get some advice from an Australian devoted to X 1/9 and perhaps other FIAT's like the 124, AC/BC or CC.

Mike Salvador milan1951

Canberra

No problems Mike, yep love my X19 and my 124 Coupe but these days my 124 Coupe projects have taken a back seat to my X19 projects, feel free to message me if you need any advice for parts for either these cars have plenty of spares i probably can help with if needed anything

Hi Maz
I will be tackling my driver window regulator this weekend as it finally went when I thought I had finally completed the repairs. Oh well the joys of our passion I guess.
Thanks for the plan and outline as I wasn't sure how to go about it for my 82. All the cables are still in the runners so hopefully they stay in there.
It seemed like milan had the cables completely off, do I follow these same directions if i just need to change the regulator? I mean can I get away with the changing the regulator without loosening all the other pulleys?
Thanks for any help and troubleshoots from anybody else as well.

I mean can I get away with the changing the regulator without loosening all the other pulleys?
No :(
The cable comes out with the regulator, and when you buy a new regulator it comes with a new cable wrapped onto the spool.

Hi folks.
Thanks for the help Eric and Maz that diagram for the window pulley and instructions were awesome!.
After a bit of hole peeking and mirror using I managed to get the cables installed and was feeling pretty good about myself.
Unfortunately, when I went to test it before putting the accessories and skins on, it only comes up halfway. It seems the cable ends on the spool at that point.
Any suggestions on what I did wrong? The cable can only come down to the first pulley one way from the regulator, so I am thinking that wasn't it.
The regulator can only go in one way and I didn't untie the metal clip until all the cables were set in all of the pulleys.

It seems the cable ends on the spool at that point.
The cable winds off of one side of the regulator shaft and onto the other end to maintain a constant length loop. So if I'm understanding your problem properly.... loosen the clamps on the window so that the wire moves freely along its path without moving the window, turn the regulator in the lowering direction all the way (can't turn it any farther because the cable ends at the spool), slide the window all the way down, then tighten the clamps. Now when you turn the regulator in the raising direction the window willreach the top before you run out of cable.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for helping me out Eric.
I will give it a try and hope your wisdom works.
Give you an update in a couple of days.
Stay well!

Niagarafiat, Have looked at cable and regulator and after reading and downloading pics of Bosch electric window lift have decided to go that route. Found good Bosch unit on line and window bottom support from Midwest Bayless. Will keep you posted when I get to finish job. For the moment its hand lift and newspaper wrapped wood wedge to hold up window. X19-Door00003.jpgX19-Door00004.jpg

I seem to have read somewhere that the insides of the door and hardware are different on power window cars. Be careful.

Some members on this web site have done the conversion successfully. The window bottom rail is different and can be bought from MWB. Fitting is of drilling mounting holes for bolting Bosch unit with necessary metal reinforcements for torque of winder motor.

Back