head/motor rebuild in So Cal

John C

Daily Driver
Hey,
I came across a big valve head. No valves, springs or cam. I am looking for a shop that can get it back together and possibly freshen up the motor. Also, transaxle repair. Tried Matt at Midwest, but he is swamped until January.

Hey,
I came across a big valve head. No valves, springs or cam. I am looking for a shop that can get it back together and possibly freshen up the motor. Also, transaxle repair. Tried Matt at Midwest, but he is swamped until January.
Someone here should know a good local machine shop near you. On the trans I would ship it to Steve Hoelscher if he has bandwidth.

Yes, I could do your transaxle. I can either build yours or do an exchange. I recently placed a large parts order which should be in any day.

0219181248b.jpg

Hi Steve. Sorry for the late reply. That job thing keeps getting in the way...
Looking for a rebuild. Transaxle is modified with straight cut close ratio. Not dog gears. Syncro. It’s working but a little noisy. And not a whiney straight cut gear noise. More of a marbley noise. I’m thinking new bearings and bushing. There are a few of the small syncro teeth broken. But it has not been an issue.

It’s a 4 speed, but is sort of a hybrid 4 sod/5spd parts the way the shafts are pre loaded/ secured. (Snap ring vs nut).

I’ll located in So Cal. I’ll PM my address.

Don’t think shipping will be too much by common carrier like Yellow freight.

Anyone know a good machine shop for the motor. Runs well. Thinking of freshen. So wanted to see about this big valve head. Current motor has PBS F2 cam that can be used.

Car is the 74 X race car for sale. Instead of selling, I’m thinking of putting more money in, 😳. It’s a disease...

Hi John, I was mostly asking for the addresses of the guys in Europe. When I ship internationally, the shipper always tells me they can't quote me without a final destination address.

I ship to California and the West Coast regularly. I typically ship UPS as that has proven to be the easiest method. I have occasionally shipped multiple units via truck on a pallet but that wasn't Fiat units.

No problem with the close ratio 4 speed. I have done several of those. I presently have a straight cut, close ratio 5 speed in my shop for another road racing customer.

I have built a few custom 4 speeds where I have replaced the snap rings with nuts. Its a necessary upgrade for a Production class car. Otherwise you can't keep the snap ring on the pinion shaft.

I did get your PM. I'll message you back.

Another member reached out for So Cal advice. I'd suggest calling that shop and have a conversation with them. Depending on your ambition you may be able to pull the motor tear it down and send it to a machine shop with a local referral.

I have had Dan Snow work on my car. He knows his stuff, but it’s hard to know what he will do, how much he will charge and when it will get done. So I have not been back in couple years. But he is an honest guy. I would also say he has never done anything to the car tha was not necessary.

Back