Is this a good place for Yugo talk?

Longitudinal

True Classic
If not, is there a better, more active place for Yugo talk?

I have one, and am gearing up to start a project. In addition to blogging it, I am going to start featuring it on my cruddy little YouTube channel.

I'm not one for blogs or YouTube so hope you give us the highlights of the build here. The little hints you offered in another thread sound like a very interesting project. ;)

I think a Yugo would make a fun racecar, especially an autoX car. Keep it low buck, make it fun. It's been a few years but I remember an SCCA chapter that had (I believe) a "community" autocross Yugo. Tag line was "How fast can Yugo?"

I think a Yugo would make a fun racecar, especially an autoX car. Keep it low buck, make it fun. It's been a few years but I remember an SCCA chapter that had (I believe) a "community" autocross Yugo. Tag line was "How fast can Yugo?"
Scott Phelps used to race one (Yugo). I think he raced it on the track but also on ice racing. For those who don't know or remember Scott, he was the one with the orange x19 and the back of another x19 as a trailer with a beer keg in it.
1602801013970.png

Here is a pic of Scott‘s Yugo at Rematch 99.

C44AB185-72B9-4399-BEA2-869071D12430.jpeg

What a fun car. I drove it around for a day in beautiful Vermont.

The black X1/9 is Daniel Forest who came down all the way from Canada for this event. :)

FD6724FA-93FA-4122-974F-D6747C5F7953.jpeg

I don't think it will be low buck - going from FWD to mid-engine - definitely cool :D

A few years ago there was a Yugo for sale near my property. I really wanted it because of the excellent condition and great price. But I'd promised myself not to buy any more projects until I finished a few of the ones I already have in progres, so I passed. I still regret letting that one go, it really was in excellent condition (at least as far as old cars go).

While I was considering it I wanted to get an idea of what could be done to customize it, styling wise. Here are a couple images I found online (some have been PhotoShopped):

Yugo 2.jpg
Yugo 4.jpg
Yugo 5.jpg

Yugo 28.jpg
Yugo 29.jpg
Yugo 10.jpg
Yugo 8.jpg

The mini Integrale look is very cool but personally I’d rather have the look of the red one.

Back