(FOUND) WTB: Single Cromodora CD-3 Wheel

Jeff Stich

True Classic
UPDATE 3/7/21: No longer needed (I found one elsewhere).

I have a friend looking for a single Cromodora CD-3 13x5 alloy wheel, prefer an unbent wheel with no cracks. Anybody?

cd3.jpg

Last edited:
Just wondering, I have 6 wheels, one of which is only slightly better than that one.
The rest are dirty from sitting in storage for 40? years. I have been saving the 5 for my DB. Even have hubcaps.
If that had been the going price for the "junk" one I might have been tempted....

I'd have to disagree with the opinions that this eBay wheel is a "piece of crap" & beyond repair. Wheel weight-related corrosion/damage like this is very typical on old Cromodora magnesium-alloy wheels, & is much easier to repair than a bent or cracked wheel of this type.

As for value, keep in mind that the eBay price of $150 includes the cost of shipping, which (going cross-country) could easily be $30-$45 alone these days (rates just went up again). Do I think this wheel's worth $105-$120 in this condition? Probably not. But that doesn't mean a reasonable offer can't be made to the seller, the wheel obtained & then fixed.

Last edited:
Just wondering, I have 6 wheels, one of which is only slightly better than that one. The rest are dirty from sitting in storage for 40? years. I have been saving the 5 for my DB. Even have hubcaps. If that had been the going price for the "junk" one I might have been tempted....

If you want to sell your 6th wheel (without the hubcap), my friend may be interested. Condition obviously determines value, but personally I think something around that price isn't too unreasonable if there are no (or fewer) repairs to be made. Shoot me a PM if you want...;)

If you want to sell your 6th wheel (without the hubcap), my friend may be interested. Condition obviously determines value, but personally I think something around that price isn't too unreasonable if there are no (or fewer) repairs to be made. Shoot me a PM if you want...;)

I need a basic education in these wheels.
How do I identify a CD3?
I have 5 wheels, the 6th must be in storage.
4 are marked "CD", the 5th is marked "D" only.

I need a basic education in these wheels. How do I identify a CD3? I have 5 wheels, the 6th must be in storage. 4 are marked "CD", the 5th is marked "D" only.

The easiest way to recognize a CD3 would be to compare it to the photo posted at the very beginning of this thread. ;)

cd3.jpg

Barring that, on most older Cromodora wheels you can find the "CD X" designation either cast or stamped into the backside of the wheel, usually in the center of one of the "spokes" of the wheel. Sometimes the "CD" part is cast into the wheel & the number part is stamped into the wheel. Here's an example of the cast-in designation on an early CD4 wheel:

cd4s08.JPG

The number can be found either to the right of or below the letters. On wheels with stamped letters/numbers, sometimes the stamping unit wasn't quite square to the wheel when it was done, so you'll get one (or one side) of the letters/numbers stamped deeper into the wheel face than the other, making it difficult to see or read. A good cleaning of the area can help, as a light-handed stamping may be hidden by a layer of old brake dust or road grime.

The easiest way to recognize a CD3 would be to compare it to the photo posted at the very beginning of this thread. ;)

View attachment 42761

Barring that, on most older Cromodora wheels you can find the "CD X" designation either cast or stamped into the backside of the wheel, usually in the center of one of the "spokes" of the wheel. Sometimes the "CD" part is cast into the wheel & the number part is stamped into the wheel. Here's an example of the cast-in designation on an early CD4 wheel:

View attachment 42762

The number can be found either to the right of or below the letters. On wheels with stamped letters/numbers, sometimes the stamping unit wasn't quite square to the wheel when it was done, so you'll get one (or one side) of the letters/numbers stamped deeper into the wheel face than the other, making it difficult to see or read. A good cleaning of the area can help, as a light-handed stamping may be hidden by a layer of old brake dust or road grime.

Ok, all 5 of the wheels I have look exactly like the CD3 in the picture. Looking at the (clear) markings on the back side of the wheels and using your example none of my wheels are CD3s.

"The easiest way to identify a CD3 is to compare it to the picture in the beginning of the thread", apparently not.....

Ok, all 5 of the wheels I have look exactly like the CD3 in the picture. Looking at the (clear) markings on the back side of the wheels and using your example none of my wheels are CD3s.

"The easiest way to identify a CD3 is to compare it to the picture in the beginning of the thread", apparently not.....

Do your wheels have any markings inside at all?

Ok, all 5 of the wheels I have look exactly like the CD3 in the picture. Looking at the (clear) markings on the back side of the wheels and using your example none of my wheels are CD3s. "The easiest way to identify a CD3 is to compare it to the picture in the beginning of the thread", apparently not.....

Can you show a photo of your wheels, so I can see what you're talking about? Front & back?

Can you show a photo of your wheels, so I can see what you're talking about? Front & back?

I can get some pics tomorrow, didn't feel like dealing with the snowy swamp that my yard turned into today.
These all look like variations of the 124 wheel. There are several date codes.
The marks are cast on. Most of them are marked "CD". One is marked "D" only in larger letter height than the "CD" marked wheels.
2 of the CD wheels have a raised "1" on a spoke away from the CD mark.
One of the CD marked wheels has a tiny 124ACxxxx raised number in one of the recessed spots on the mounting face next to the lug hole.
Like the CD3 wheel shown in your picture, all of my wheels have the mounting circle for the SS Fiat hub caps.
Pics tomorrow.

Back