building a new garage

Yeah, lumber prices are absolutely frickin' insane these days. My plan was to build a shop on my property since I bought this house in 2014. I still haven't done it or started, but I shudder to think about how much more it will cost now vs what it would have cost in 2014/15.

Trusses are up! Woo hoo!

tortoise_live_1611948285706.jpg

Odie

things are taking a little pause with the weather. got the estimate back from the electrician and debating on just dragging a extension cord. dang. electricity or insulation. budget only allows one for the time being.

Odie
garage_live_1613398514380.jpg

You should do all the wiring including power for welder or heaven forbid the EV charger for 15 years from now.

You should do all the wiring including power for welder or heaven forbid the EV charger for 15 years from now.
yeah, leaning that way. figure do it right the first time, as much as financially it may suck LOL. and yes 220 is in the design for the welder/hoist/air compressor. 3 110 circuits with 2 dedicated to the outlets and the other to the lights. about 6k including trenching and running a new line out there. the box in the house you can see is to the right on the inlaw suite that used to be my garage.

Odie

the box in the house you can see is to the right on the inlaw suite that used to be my garage
Near the new garage; one way to bolster the in-law relationship is to make lots of late night noise in your new garage. :p

Looking at all that snow indicates insulation is mandatory. However you definitely don't want to skimp on the electrical supply - the more the better.

Near the new garage; one way to bolster the in-law relationship is to make lots of late night noise in your new garage. :p

Looking at all that snow indicates insulation is mandatory. However you definitely don't want to skimp on the electrical supply - the more the better.
LOL for sure! we are adding another 5-8 inches tonight. snow does insulate :) because we are running to the end of season and it isnt even done yet I think I am ok leaving the insolation until after electrical. I am becoming more confident that I can do it once the electricians make the run from the house to the barn.
The inlaw suite has my wife's mentally disabled uncle in it. he is actually excited about it as he loves to tinker with wood and hasnt been able to because there is no place for him to do so.

Odie

I agree, once the main power line gets to the building, then you should be able to do the rest yourself. I've done a few smaller electrical jobs for my properties over the years. It isn't difficult. Suggest getting one of those "DIY" books on the subject as a general guide. One thing I've always found, eventually you will need far more electrical outlets than you ever imagined. ;)

Many years ago I decided to install a pool and spa, and planned to do all the gas and electric work myself. Since pools require a fair amount of safety specific attention to details, I went out and got a copy of the NEC (National Electric Code) and read it pretty much from cover to cover. I passed the building inspection with flying colors. The building inspector told me that the only way he could tell it was not done by a pro was that it was too neat. He said the pros never spend the time to precisely dress and route wires the way I did. It would take them too much time.

I would recommend getting a copy of the NEC, particularly if you are doing anything out of the routine.

And that reminds me, also be sure to check with any local regulations. There may be federal, state, county, city, even neighborhood (if you're in one of the 'controlled' housing tracks) rules that must be met.

I'm unsure of the laws in Michigan but here in Washington State the homeowner can do the electrical themselves as long as it's done to code. You can do as Don said and get a book or something to help you out or even get an electrician that'll give you some guidance (remote?). Regardless, you still gotta:
  • Purchase the copper (from the strike point thru the entire shop)
  • Purchase the breaker box and breakers
  • Drill the holes for the wire (rent a hole hawg)
  • Run the wire
  • Purchase the outlets, lights etc.
It's totally doable but probably a bit intimidating if you've never done it before. I'm lucky that my father dragged his sons to help wire houses when we were teenaged brats so we are familiar. Kinda like overhauling an engine but having the machine shop do the head and bores - once you've done it it's pretty straightforward.

I'd do the electric and skip on sheetrock and insulation. Sure it'll be cold as a Siberian winter there for the next 3 months but after that you'll be OK and can finish the unsulation/sheetrock later.

Last edited:
I have to say, in my opinion any trade work like electrical, plumbing, general construction, etc, is MUCH easier to do than pretty much any automotive mechanical work on old cars. ;)

I would do the wiring myself, I hate dealing with insulation.

I like building wiring.
then I may have to pick your brain :) right now I am stuck with how to get past the GFCI requirement and trying to run switched outlets for my lights.

Odie

Isn't GFCI required only for outlets ("plugs"), not lighting? Or am I totally misunderstanding what you said?

Regardless, look at the 'codes' book for actual requirements where you live. Then any decent $15 "how to do electrical wiring" book from your local home improvement store will show how it's done. Or take a gamble and watch hours of YouTube videos to see how all of the "experts" sitting at home that have never actually done it say it should be done. :rolleyes:

While a LIFT would be very fun, have you thought of also digging a walk-down, six-foot deep pit for at least on car? My old neighbor did that in his garage. Very useful, and safe?

While a LIFT would be very fun, have you thought of also digging a walk-down, six-foot deep pit for at least on car? My old neighbor did that in his garage. Very useful, and safe?
in my township they are not legal unless you are grandfathered in. not sure about anywhere else.

odie

Isn't GFCI required only for outlets ("plugs"), not lighting? Or am I totally misunderstanding what you said?

Regardless, look at the 'codes' book for actual requirements where you live. Then any decent $15 "how to do electrical wiring" book from your local home improvement store will show how it's done. Or take a gamble and watch hours of YouTube videos to see how all of the "experts" sitting at home that have never actually done it say it should be done. :rolleyes:
yes they are for outlets only. but I wanted to use outlets to run the lights from as most LED shop lights are pug in type and not made to be hardwired and altering it to be used as such is also a violation.

Odie

Back